User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
foote OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
That Much Further West

Departing tomorrow. TN to west coast via TAT (more or less) then on to Alaska...

My first big bike trip to Alaska ended at a rest stop in southern Illinois on day one. I'll spare the mechanical details, but with considerations of time and money being what they were, my trip was done. I got a tow from a guy called Joe, and spent the night in a lime-green motel room in West Frankfurt. By chance, some Baja SAE friends were passing near by with a trailer the next day, headed back to Tennessee, and they were kind enough to pick me up. 36 hours later and I am right where I was, though now homeless and with no ride. A few days after that and I was headed to Seattle in a borrowed car, to start a good job that I didn't even need to interview for. Don't ever let me tell you I have no friends or luck.

But I've still not made it to Alaska...

Two years later and back in Tennessee it is about time to give it another go. Was teaching at a university here and my contract ended. You can call me unemployed if you like, but I know in my heart I am retired. Time to act like it! Exact same trip in spirit, but now I've got a better bike, a reasonable plan, a bit more money, and a endless supply of time. Headed out to pick up the TAT near Sparta, TN tomorrow morning and then my compass points to Pacific time. Meeting a friend in Seattle, and then north to Alaska.

I'll tell you a bit about myself and my bike in my next post. For now I just wanted to get this down before I hit the road. Am writing this live so expect delays. I will say, that having lived vicariously through so many great reports, I'm thrilled to give it a go myself. Hope those that care to follow along, I sure hope you enjoy it.

My report's title is borrowed from my favorite song, of the same name, by Tennessee's own Lucero. Every good trip needs a soundtrack, and this is definitely Side 1, Track 1. Check it out below.

And as they say, "until then, the thoughts that I have left, are that much further west."

foote

That Much Further West:
foote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Do it. You know you can. You know we will watch.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Good luck!

We have two of our kids that live in Alaska and it's always interesting to follow along on your kind of ride. Good luck and stay safe.....and thanks much for giving us a chance to ride along.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Rid
e
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Hell yeah! I'm in! You riding all the way to Prudhoe Bay or just cruisin' where ever? Lots of good places to stay along the way and nice friendly folks EVERYWHERE! I'm jealous and want to go back again!
Old 05-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Oh Yeah, if you need anything in Fairbanks look up the boys at Adventure Cycle works, they ROCK!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
foote OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Day 1 - ~270 miles

Thanks fellas!

First day in the bag. Motel living for the night. Probably won't start camping till I get west of the Big River. Was a good day on the whole. Minor electrical annoyance (relay) and I took a spill at the well known and respected Slippery-Crossing-of-Tennessee. No damage and on my way. Oddly enough, two county cruisers pulled up right as I got the bike upright. Oh well.

Not much more to say and really nothing to show. Rural Tennessee is where I'm from, and beautiful as it is, I didn't feel much need to break out the camera. Attempted a time lapse on a GoPro but haven't pulled that yet. Later.

Tomorrow: get to Mississippi!
foote is offline   Reply With Quote