ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
zippy OP
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,140
What to do in Atlanta ?

I will be Sybase training in Alpharetta Georgia July 25th - 29th. I am going to ride up Sunday morning.
Any must see sights while I am in town for a week ? Nice evening rides around the Atlanta area. I have acquired a Delorme for the trip.

The Dude
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Go up 400 North. When the road goes to two lanes take a left to Dahlonega on Hwy 19. Go through Dahlonega staying on 19. You can go to Blairsville, Suches , Helen, Hiawasee, highways 19, 129, 60, 348. It will take about 45 - 55 minutes to get to Dahlonega. Zoom in on the link and you will see this. What exit off of 400 are you going to be training at?

Troy

In spite of illness, In spite even of the archenemy sorrow, One can remain alive long past usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ways. - Edith Wharton

Need a smugmug coupon? Well here you go z0g48s072w1kE
PowerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
zippy OP
Hinter dem Feld

Thumb

Thanks powert !! It will by my first time staying near Atlanta. Have driven through a few times.
Website for Sybase says exit 8 off 400 mansel road to parkside terrace.?
Again thanks for the ride suggestions and link !.

mike p
Old 07-21-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by powert
Go up 400 North. When the road goes to two lanes take a left to Dahlonega on Hwy 19. Go through Dahlonega staying on 19. You can go to Blairsville, Suches , Helen, Hiawasee, highways 19, 129, 60, 348. It will take about 45 - 55 minutes to get to Dahlonega. Zoom in on the link and you will see this. What exit off of 400 are you going to be training at?

Troy
What he said, just do it as early in the day as you possibly can . . . traffic sucks ass on 400.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
zippy OP
Hinter dem Feld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
What he said, just do it as early in the day as you possibly can . . . traffic sucks ass on 400.
again thanks for the tips. I'll be coming from the ass sucking traffic capitol Florida .

How late in the evening before traffic clears? Unfortunately will be in class during the day 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
USUALLY, from exit 10 and up, the traffic is heavy, but moving. The key word is usually, and @ 5 pm, you'll be in the middle of it.

I would highly recommend the disappearing from lunch trick. Call in around 2pm explaining that you are lost. "I'm somewhere off of something peachtree something street/parkway/road. I'm in a QT parking lot, there's a Waffle house across the street with a McDonalds next to it. Oh, and I passed a Home Depot a mile or so ago." Nobody will ever be able to navigate you back to home base, and everybody will completely understand. Works every time!
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
USUALLY, from exit 10 and up, the traffic is heavy, but moving. The key word is usually, and @ 5 pm, you'll be in the middle of it.

I would highly recommend the disappearing from lunch trick. Call in around 2pm explaining that you are lost. "I'm somewhere off of something peachtree something street/parkway/road. I'm in a QT parking lot, there's a Waffle house across the street with a McDonalds next to it. Oh, and I passed a Home Depot a mile or so ago." Nobody will ever be able to navigate you back to home base, and everybody will completely understand. Works every time!
Too true.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:30 AM   #8
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,213
Cheatah III (if it's still open).

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:45 AM   #9
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,658
Hey man I shot you a PM...what time on Sunday do you plan on getting in? I was going to head up to Suchess for a quick run around the area..maybe grab lunch at T.W.O.. Let me know....Jay
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:28 AM   #10
zippy OP
Hinter dem Feld

Thumb

Thanks Jay , p.m.ed you back. Hope to be checking in about 2 or 3 p.m. Sunday .
Old 07-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #11
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
Yeah, I'll second the Cheata III, NoShowPhil. I saw a guy in AZ a couple of days ago with a Cheata t-shirt. Looked pretty new so I expect its still up and running. Fond memories!
Old 07-23-2005, 03:24 AM   #12
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon
Yeah, I'll second the Cheata III, NoShowPhil. I saw a guy in AZ a couple of days ago with a Cheata t-shirt. Looked pretty new so I expect its still up and running. Fond memories!
Same here, great place. I bought spacewife a sweat shirt from there as well.

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:38 AM   #13
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,613
You're in luck my friend. I grew up in Alpharetta. My how it has changed. Traffic? You know nothing of traffic! GA400 is the worst. During non-rush hour hours (rush hour here is like 5am-9am and 4pm-6:30pm) 400 is nicknamed the "Alpharetta Audubon," but don't let that fool you: Cops are a plenty. Mansell Road is in the middle of it all for sure, and you'll be very close to Northpoint Mall, which offers everything you'll need for food, movies, and other entertainment. There's not much great riding around "Taterville" b/c of all the cages (it gets worse on the weekends when EVERYONE drives around, especially to the mall. This however can be a great time to see some of the local 'hot as hell' soccer moms maneuvering their SUV's around town) Just watch your back, as they are all talking away on those cell phone thingies. People here cannot drive. I drive for a living, so trust me when I say this.

The other guys are right, head up 400 to 19 to Dahlonega. I live 15 minutes S Dahlonega and I can tell you there is some excellent riding just a tad further north. You're getting into mountain territory there, and is great times. Watch out for cages coming your way (the local moutain folk tend to ignore those annoying line things in the middle of the road).

I *may* be in Suches Sunday pm with another buddy on a Duc...I'll be on a GS Dakar. Give a shout if ya see us, and feel free to get ahold of me if you need some Alpharetta Advice.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:39 AM   #14
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,613
Oh yeah, another good boobie place is Oasis: Goodtime Emporium in Norcross. I285 and 141. Good eats next door too.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #15
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,173
Hey GoastRider,

Let me know what your doing sunday. Might be up for a ride.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote