Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #16
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
I've owned 12 Urals from 1998 to 2010 model years. Yes "sorted out" was a buz word for the 650's and early 750's but does not apply to my '07 and '10 Urals I've owned. Even my '04 Retro needed some "sorting out" but not my '07 Arctic or 2010 ST. My '02 Ural with 2011 engine has become a "Gas & Go" rig.
'10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
Latguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Major failure on my rig: broke a brake spring - IMWA warranted the wheel, spokes, hub and tire. Some relays went away and, of course, the brake light switch.... That's it! 20Kkm - haven't been riding much due to health issues. I'll be back up on it this summer. Currently, the horn and starter have corrosion issues - I live in upstate NY! Is anyone surprised!?!?! "Sorted out" largely was a matter of adding features that I wanted: a third brake light, a back-up light, better forward lighting, correcting the engine guard and bash plate on the engine and sidecar, a 2wd/R shifter from Raceways, Modtops mufflers, etc. The rig was initially set up correctly by VT Cycles in Poland ME - Thanks! That has made all the difference, I'm sure.
In '07 there were problems with the trans and rockers but my rig was not affected.
So, as often happens in life, it's better to be lucky than good because so much of it all is a crapshoot, particularly when you're talking about a handmade contraption designed 75 years ago and made by folks who are doing their best within the parameters of whimsy that life these days is.
I'm having a very good time with my my Ooohrahl and will continue with the adventure.
03 Duramax w/ Bulldog chip
...working and playing in the Dacks and Lake Champlain
Latguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #18
The Rat
trust me!

Oddometer: 62
Eek Sorted out?

A new 2012 Patrol at 5,000km the friction material failed in the clutch, jammed the bike in gear, a month in the shop for the 'new improved clutch'. At 5,300km the engine filled the valve covers with metal shavings. 10 month old bike has spent 2 months in the shop and I still don't have it back. The engine was sent to HQ because the dealer is already rebuilding a 2012 Ural engine.

PM me before you waste BMW GS kind of money on one of these POS

Just pretending to be a poseur
2009 Triumph Scrambler "Harvey Mushman"SOLD
2009 Suzuki DR650 SOLD 1975 BMW R75/6 café SOLD
2012 Ural Patrol "Bad Penny" 2004 R1150 GS blue/white
The Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #19
stromsurfer
Stromsurfer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat View Post

PM me before you waste BMW GS kind of money on one of these POS
That is a generous offer but after your many Ural posts, it does not seem like a PM is really necessary as your issues (with the Ural at least) are pretty clear and well documented. Maybe time to move on with your life and find a new mission.

Enjoy the Day

While waiting for my Ural to be fixed, you may not be able to reach me.....I will be out in my shop replacing fork seals, failed water pump, and steering head bearings in my 16,000 mile BMW.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,031
Ha, only 19 posts for an exchange between one of the faithful and one of the unconvinced. All these Ural threads end up the same pissing contest. Aren't there a few dedicated sites for this stuff?
Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #21
bokad
Difficult Child

Oddometer: 395
Sorting mine (2010 model) took:
Replacing the final drive
Replacing the swing arm
Replacing a few broken brake shoes
Redoing some electrical connections in the headlamp assembly
Having the dealer modify the kick start arm

Never did take the time to sort out the small stuff like speedometer, water leaking in to the carbs when it rains, etc...

That was all in the first 6,000km. The next 14k were much easier.

Definitely if you are buying a Ural you should expect a moderate mechanical burden beyond basic service maintenance.
bokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #22
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
Ha, only 19 posts for an exchange between one of the faithful and one of the unconvinced. All these Ural threads end up the same pissing contest. Aren't there a few dedicated sites for this stuff?
You can't read "Ural" in the title? DUH.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
R71
From central NH

Oddometer: 132
I have an 09 Sahara. The Bearing seal in my altenator coupling started leaking on the ride home. Having said that I contacted my dealer and it was fixed right away. The next thing that failed was the Speedometer drive gear also fixed under warranty and quickly.

I currently have a little over 20,000K on the bike and other than those two parts failing in the first 6 months the bike has been Gas & go.

I will add that neither of those failures prevented me from using the bike, I would probably feel differently if the bike was in the shop for extended periods of time.

This year I blew a Fuse and needed to replace my rear brake light switch.

I think the "sorting out" thing is more about wringing the most power out of the motor and getting a smooth/straight running bike.

I am interested to see what affect the FI and other improvements on the 2014 bikes has.
R71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #24
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by R71 View Post

I am interested to see what affect the FI and other improvements on the 2014 bikes has.
Me too. What fun would it be to not have to adjust your drum brakes or mess with your carbs?
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote