ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #16
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,768
Oh man she would love some time basking in a gorgeous hotel on the ocean. It will be close to our 31 anniversary too. Good advice guys, thanks.

My kid is turning in to a good little rider, he's been out west twice now and loves riding. We've promised each other the transCanada ride in two years when he graduates high school. Any must see bike shops for a unique t-shirt for him?

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
Does the lad like Hard Rock Cafe T's? There was one in La Jolla.

Lots of T's on the piers and harbors. Oceanside Harbor has some neat T's that are unique for the area, but nothing motorcycle related.

Huntington Beach, Sunset Beach and Seal Beach all have T's but not motorcycle.

Check to see if the Rock Store on Mulholland above Malibu have T's, that would be a good two hour detour from the PCH up through the canyon and down another. Saturday and Sunday used to be only, closed midweek. Very early to catch import bikes, all Harley later in the day.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #18
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
If you have to be in Fresno then Yosemite NP is easy to include. Spend at least two full days there if you can, one in the valley and one in the high-country (Tuolumne Meadows.)

Get to Fresno however you need/want to and spend as little time there as you possible can - - , then enter the Yosemite from the south and exit on the Hwy 140 into Merced route. From Merced you head west back over Pacheco Pass (hwy 152) and over to Monterey/Salinas. From there take hwy 1 up into San Francisco.

If you have extra time, a short jaunt up 49 from Yosemite to Hwy 4 and Caleveras Big Trees State Park is a very nice destination - one of California's lesser-known hidden gems in my opinion.

Coast in June can be foggy and chilly. Central Valley (Fresno) will be HOT - normally in the 90's can be in the 100's - Yosemite Valley can be warm but cold at night.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #19
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

[QUOTE=High Country Herb;21351438]What grade does she teach.

She's been teaching in the getto in Richmond for 26 years, elementary school. Started out as a chapter one math teacher became a reading teacher. Now she does reading, coaches teachers, runs all the big testing programs that are required now and breaks up fights now and then (or yesterday). I tried to get her out of there during the crack wars in the late 80' and 90's, but she wouldn't leave. The fights we had about that! I've picked up spent brass on the play ground myself years ago. I'd have left to a suburb school years ago myself, it I taught. To beat it all she grew up a small town girl in the mountians of Virginia. I'm moving her back to our mountian home town and to my family farm in two years.

She's earned this award. She works hard. Had a dead body right outside of her class room window one year. Two shooting victims crashed into the lobby during the PTA meeting a few of years ago. Both were old students of hers that were fleeing trouble outside. They tore down the project next door a couple of years ago and that helped a lot.

So a what grade does she teach question is complicated. She's a good girl but she's tough.

Here she is enjoying the blue grass at Frenchie's resturant at Tin Cup in Taylor Park CO last summer.

Recently from my phone.

Like my dollar specs?

Guys thanks for the ideas, I have the map in my lap right now.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:54 PM
Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,055
Don't miss the elephant seals just north of San Simeon, right off the hiway. There are docents there at times, and signs to tell you about the seals.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:27 PM   #21
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,744
I'll be camping outside sequoia that week 15-22 with the family. If you find yourself around there hit me up.

At worst I'll share a beer with you and hook the two of you up with some grub, at best we might be able to set you up with accommodations for the night if you and the wife aren't averse to a tent. Might even be able to set you up in the RV.
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 307
Cambria is a great place to stay. Look to visit Nitt Witt Ridge and Hearst Castle if you have time. Hotel suggestions:

Cambria Palms - budget and moto friendly. Eat at Linn's Restaurant just a short walk from motel.

Little Sur Inn - pricier but directly across the street from the ocean. Walk to Moonstone Grill for dinner and enjoy the sunset.

Victoria's Last Resort - top end but very nice, romantic. I believe they will make dinner for you. Wifey might like this one!

From Cambria, come up the PCH (stop off and see the elephant seals along the way) and stay in Carmel or Monterey (Victoria Inn in Monterey just a couple of blocks from the main drag - also consider visiting the Monterey Aquarium) for the evening. It's less that 100 miles from Cambria to Monterey but you will most likely want to take all day as the views a breathtaking, lots of photo stops, and look for the waterfall at Julia Pfeiffer State Park, about 10 miles south of Big Sur. Lunch at the Big Sur River Inn, sit out back in the big Adirondack chairs and dip your feet in the running stream out back. They also have a hotel there too - pricey but very nice. Monterey isn't too much farther from Big Sur so I'd recommend visiting Big Sur but end your day in Monterey.

Coming through the Bay Area, there are a tone of fun roads in the mountains - 9, 35, 84, Alice's Restaurant (a well known moto haven), Stage Rd., Pescadero Rd., and tons more! Hwy 1 north of Santa Cruz isn't nearly as scenic as the more southern part that you will have just traversed so if you went inland to hit some of those roads, you wouldn't be missing a whole lot of the coast.

Immediately north of SF, just as soon as you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, take 2nd exit which comes up very quickly, just past the vista point. Turn left and cross under the roadway, then go up the hill on Conzelman Road. Very shortly you will see a number of turnouts on your left which give you great photo ops. From there you can backtrack to Highway 101, or you can fart around the area called the Marin Headlands. Nice riding, a lighthouse, old battery, beaches, a marine mammal rescue place. From there, you can visit Muir Woods or consider riding to the top of Mt. Tamalpais - awesome view (as long as it's not foggy!).

Next place of note is Point Reyes Station. There's a cafe, a bakery, a market, and if you time it right, motorcyclists to ogle . Also the option to visit Pt. Reyes National Seashore. Miles of secluded roads, forests, a gigantic empty beach, and a lighthouse. Fun place to visit, but it will impede your forward motion as the only way back out is through Pt. Reyes Station. (My personal 2cents is to forego the lighthouse. It's a crapshoot if you will even be able to see the lighthouse because of the fog and the road out is fraught with high winds, rough road, and cow pies all over the place... very treacherous.)

The Bodega Coast Inn is a very nice place, ocean view rooms, etc. There is a link to restaurants on the site.

Consider a stop in Mendocino. It's a cool hippie/yuppie/new age town, but mucho spendy. If you are on a budget you can head just a bit further north and sleep in Fort Bragg.

If you go further north, definitely ride along Avenue of the Giants... it's gorgeous even in a car! Hope that gives y'all some food for fodder!

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #23
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka View Post
I'll be camping outside sequoia that week 15-22 with the family. If you find yourself around there hit me up.

At worst I'll share a beer with you and hook the two of you up with some grub, at best we might be able to set you up with accommodations for the night if you and the wife aren't averse to a tent. Might even be able to set you up in the RV.
God bless you man. Remember though she has 9 grand for this trip. She does tent camp but she like a hotel.

I'll tell her about the beer though... in the end we really are hillbillies. We'll just be hillbillies in a fancy hotel. Just wait until I cannonball the beautiful people at the pool.
Thanks man.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
NorCalslowpoke
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
if in salinas then not far from big sur and http://www.deetjens.com/history.html, nice rustic place to stay and good food, and with a literary history of sorts.

cool place, good food too, not cheap..but nothing is in Big Sur

Not a grade school author but...nearby

http://www.henrymiller.org/about/hen...orial-library/
http://www.burtonco.com Sacramento Appraiser
NorCalslowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #25
Shunka
Supervision Required

Oddometer: 3,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
God bless you man. Remember though she has 9 grand for this trip. She does tent camp but she like a hotel.

I'll tell her about the beer though... in the end we really are hillbillies. We'll just be hillbillies in a fancy hotel. Just wait until I cannonball the beautiful people at the pool.
Thanks man.
No worries I come from a long line of hillbillies and I cannonball every hotel pool that has the misfortune of me gracing their doorway.

I work in a high school but not as a teacher but as a computer tech. I'll pm you my info. If you can stop by even for a beer please do. If not no worries either.

We'll be here http://www.sequoiarvranch.com/ in Three Rivers.

Shunka screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 07:15 PM
Shunka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #26
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

If you are on a budget you can head just a bit further north and sleep in Fort Bragg.
If you stay in Fort Bragg, be sure to visit the North Coast Brewing Company:
http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/index2.php
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
If you stay in Fort Bragg, be sure to visit the North Coast Brewing Company:
http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/index2.php
Oh yeah... good one!!

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
coming north from san diego, if you want some REAL mexican food. (take out only, unless theres a dirty standing table outside) stop at

EL TORO BRAVO, its on 19th street in costa mesa. its as close to real mexico as it gets in my town. line out the door during lunch hour, packed full of mexicans, you know its good.

hearst castle is a must, the elephant seals are fun and free

yosemite and gold country, sutters mill, theres a steam locomotive in sonora i beleive, it runs on the weekends.

san francisco is nice for a one nighter, too many people to really enjoy (but my wife loves it). across the golden gate bridge, you get into sausilito, and marin. there are tons of nice driving beautiful roads up there.

i would say to go to death valley, but it will be unbearably hot that time of year, though they do have a very nice fancyish hotel in the park.

long story short, california isnt that big, a 15 day road trip you should be able to see whatever you, your wife, and maybe even something the boy, wants to see.

if i had 15 days off in a row, i would try to see as much as possible, and stay in a different place every night, making the driving distances short, and the time spent seeing stuff long.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #29
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
You have lots of excellent suggestions. Your problem will be which to do and how to arrange them! I offer the following:

Beaches
Do your swimming in the south! (Santa Barbara and below) Northern CA beaches are for walking and admiring the beauty, but you'll need a wet suit to go in for any length of time.

The Pacific Coast Highway - CA 1
Beautiful, one-of-a-kind. Frequently cloudy, but even so it is beautiful. Hearst Castle if you like that idea. Elephant Seals 7 miles north of San Simeon. Cambria is nice place to stay if you split the trip up in 2 days. Stop at Napenthe in Big Sur for food and relaxing view. Monterrey Aquarium is very good if you like that; otherwise touristy and likely jammed.

Steinbeck Country - Salinas and Watsonville
Generally cloudy and cool due to the lack of mountains between them and the pacific. From artichokes to strawberries. Rich dark newly plowed soil, rows and rows of tiny green plants, irrigation channels and pipes, full green fields, blue-green porta potties and dozens of workers bending to the harvest. I actually find it quite beautiful.

Yosemite (King's Canyon, Sequoia) Parks
Magnificent, breath-taking. But ... It will be packed full of people when you are here. I just came back and it was already crowded. I rode in last July and immediately rode out - there was literally stop and go traffic in the middle of the valley! However, if you are unlikely to return, then you should consider it. I would not do just a day trip. But again, when you are here you will almost certainly require reservations, and it may already be too late. If you want more details PM me; I will be happy to tell you more. The other Parks may be less crowded, but I have not visited them in years.

The Gold Rush Highway - CA 49
If visiting old mining towns and mines and museums is of interest, research CA 49. It is a nice road that winds through the Sierra foothills from Oakhurst in the south to Auburn and beyond in the north. Sunset Magazine published a good book describing all of the towns and attractions along it. I'm sure there are others more recent.

Lake Tahoe and the Sierras
You can combine these with Yosemite Valley by taking CA 120 east across Tulomne Meadows to Mono Lake, then north on US 395 to Bridgeport, then just beyond take CA 89 through Markleeville to South Lake Tahoe. Spend the night, then continue north on CA 89 on the west side of the lake past ski areas to Truckee, then I-80 back to the Bay Area.
Or ....
From Truckee you can continue on CA 89 to Lassen Volcanic National Park - CA 89 is a lovely road. It continues to Mount Shasta (but then you are pretty far north).

Sequoia trees
You mentioned 'big trees'. There are two kinds: height and volume. The Coast Redwoods (sequoia sempervirens) are the tall ones and the Giant Sequoia (sequoia giganteum) are the 25+ foot diameter ones. The former can be seen along the coast mountains; Muir Woods in Marin is an easy trip from San Francisco, though the most touriesty. Better yet at Big Sur on your way up the coast.
The latter are in the sierras - the biggest grove is Mariposa Grove at the southern entrance to Yosemite. If you go there plan on first thing in the morning so you can get a parking place at the grove (and not have to take the shuttle from Wawona). Plan on at least 2 (preferably 3) hours, even if you take the tram (extra cost option).

Your (delightful) problem is how to string together all the things you want to do!
Have a great time.
-ceej

QUOTE=Greenflyfarmer;21349989]The bare bones of the trip are this.
  1. Fly west after school is out third week of June.
  2. Visit Mt. Soledad, Dr. Seuss lived there for awhile.
  3. Salinas for the National Steinbeck Center.
  4. Fresno is the home of the Gary Soto Literacy Museum.
  5. San Franscisco for the Robert Frost Memorial. Fly home from San Franscisco.
She wants to see Jack London Square in Oakland and Robert Lewis Stevenson State park near Calistoga.

In general she wants to rent a convertable in the south and drive up the coast taking in the beauty of rural coastal areas. She would like to lay around on a scenic beach for a day here and there, stay in very nice hotels and eat good. We are bringing a 16 year old boy to fetch ice and carry baggage.

I think I'd like to drive them on some good roads, see some big trees, clifts, mountians and avoid
traffic. Seeing some history from California's pioneer days might be nice, sure gold mining country. I'll have to avoid my tendancy to drive to far and wear everyone out. Should be a great trip.

We won't return south except if we go north of SF.

Thanks for the comments so far.[/QUOTE]
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 03:41 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #30
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

The quality of the people that are on site, the thoughtfulness of the replies. Pretty damn cool. Thanks, I knew this would be helpful.