User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
MattyBoomBatty OP
I ride bikes

Oddometer: 49
Question Just bought the 2010 990 ADV R

The bike is fully farkled and in mint shape with 5,600 miles on her. DMV in the AM and a PM ride yesterday has me happy as a pig in SHiz. So my question to everyone is:

I am 5'9 with an inseam of 32" and weigh 175 w/ gear. The bike is a bit tall (knew it would be) and was thinking of sending to SuperPlush to have it lowered and valved.

If you are riding the R, how tall are you? Did you have it lowered? Who did it? How Much? Are you pleased with it?

Any and all responses are appreciated! See you out there!
Attached Images

MattyBoomBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 5,883
I did the same thing last September. 5'8", 32" inseam. I taught myself to ride it the way it is.
I'm old and semi-frail. Next weekend I'll have spooned on a fresh knobbie up front and will head to the desert to learn some more.

I did up the springs by calling Super Plush.
My favorite bike so far.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,460
I am 5'9 with an inseam of 32" and weigh 175 w/ gear. The bike is a bit tall (knew it would be) and was thinking of sending to SuperPlush to have it lowered and valved.

If you are riding the R, how tall are you? I'm about the same as you +/- in height.

Did you have it lowered? Yes. After a partial (to OK) TAT trip. I didn't have too much a problem though, just slid off the saddle a bit when stopped and with the boots was fine, balls of the foot when sitting. Renazco seat as well.

Who did it? Superplush. Another option is Konflict some other guys say have done good work. Can't go wrong with either.

How Much? Don't have reference close but I think about 850 or so. If you go with Superplush they'll send you a box for everthing to ship to them.

Are you pleased with it? Not the most knowledgeable about dialing stuff in but am happy with it. I had them lower it 15mm so it's a good compromise of being a little lower but still good clearance. Revalved front and back and they used a different spacer to lower the rear.

Two things to consider though.
1. The sidestand will make the bike be even straighter than it is so I got a CJ designs kickstand adjuster kit with the large washer bottom and had a local shop cut and weld it. Works great.
2. The center stand is still useable but will take a bit more effort to raise since its somewhat lower. I found that if I used my heal on it vs ball off my foot, it worked better.
Any and all responses are appreciated! See you out there![/QUOTE]
Old 04-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
I have a 2010 990R and 5'10" with a 30" inseam sorta manage
Old 04-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 15,210
I'm your same size and have the exact same bike. IMO- DON'T LOWER IT! Touching the ground is over rated. You'll learn to be a better rider knowing you can't dab to save your ass.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
hubrus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
I also just bought a 2010 Adv 990, however not an R, I'm 6' 65" and missing the extra two inches of ground clearance. Posted last week a thread looking for someone willing to exchange the rear shcks, Perhaps this is the right thead...anyone interested?
hubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #7
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Or swap it with a reg set of suspension and get some cash. 2 people win
grant22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #8
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam. I didn't lower. Nor would I ever want to. The whole reason you get the R is for increased suspension travel and off road ability. Lowering an R is undoing what it is.

Those who feel they should be able to plant both feet on the ground at a stop light should be riding a Harley. This is a dirt bike. Period. You got the wrong bike if you're worried about putting two feet down.

With a 31" inseam I keep my right foot up on the peg covering the rear brake and put my left foot down at stop lights. This is the safest and correct way to do it anyway. The reason is that it allows you to cover the rear brake in case of emergency. This is the MSF way.

Get in this habit and let go of the 'comforting effect' of two feet down.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
LTKernel
jack of all trades

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I'm 5'11" with a 31" inseam. I didn't lower. Nor would I ever want to. The whole reason you get the R is for increased suspension travel and off road ability. Lowering an R is undoing what it is.

Those who feel they should be able to plant both feet on the ground at a stop light should be riding a Harley. This is a dirt bike. Period. You got the wrong bike if you're worried about putting two feet down.

With a 31" inseam I keep my right foot up on the peg covering the rear brake and put my left foot down at stop lights. This is the safest and correct way to do it anyway. The reason is that it allows you to cover the rear brake in case of emergency. This is the MSF way.

Get in this habit and let go of the 'comforting effect' of two feet down.
Yup. What he said.

I bought my 2012 990 R from a PO who was 4" shorter and installed the lowering kit. It was the only mod he made. I'm just over 5'11" with 32" inseam and I had it removed. I'll rework the front end and stiffen it up after I ride it some more, but IMO the suspension/travel/clearance is what makes the R.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
There are many days I wished I had the R model, I'm riding 2010 reg orange... I wouldn't lower it, ride it and enjoy what you have...
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
hubrus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Or swap it with a reg set of suspension and get some cash. 2 people win
From what I read in this forum, both shocks are the same, the difference is that the "R" shock doesn't have an internal spacer.
If this information is correct a trade without $ is reasonable.
hubrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
PM sent
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com

EZ300 screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 11:00 AM
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote