ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Tell us what you'd like...
Öhlins TTx22 front fork kit 5 2.46%
Öhlins TTx44 Mk-II rear shock 11 5.42%
Both of the above 58 28.57%
I'll stick with my WP stuff and spend the money on beer 129 63.55%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #151
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,964
That $800 was for forks AND shock, right? Important distinction when we're comparing to the Ohlins pricing.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #152
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
That $800 was for forks AND shock, right? Important distinction when we're comparing to the Ohlins pricing.
Yepper, both.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #153
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 810
Se

Us SE riders don't have much to choose for a rear shock. If you haven't rode your Superplush back to back with the Power cell kit how do you really know. I can see not wanting to spend the money if you already have had yours done. With the SE your getting a new shock and fork not just a re valve, so it would be more $. If you happy with your set up, good for you.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #154
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
If you haven't rode your Superplush back to back with the Power cell kit how do you really know. I can see not wanting to spend the money if you already have had yours done.
Not a relevant comparison since I'll not have an opportunity for a direct comparison simply for the fact that I see no need for one. I simply don't see a justifiable return on the additional money to be spent.

If we 9XX owners were starting from a point comparable to that of the 1150 GS, I would be all in, but we're not; we have a quality suspension system that simply needs to be optimized for someone who weighs more than a Grand National jockey.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #155
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Rear shock

You've prob never have rode a SE, rear shock really stinks
Old 12-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #156
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
You've prob never have rode a SE, rear shock really stinks
No, I haven't, but then I've tried to steer clear of other profound addictions like blow & heroin.

I have no business on one of those, and I tell myself that EVERY time one comes up on FM.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #157
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,591
Quote:
you've prob never have rode a se, rear shock really stinks
+100000
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #158
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,265
So... if we do the math, an egg = $533.33?

As discussed earlier in this thread, this is a huge upgrade with cutting edge technology. It's expensive and it's not going to be worthwhile for 95% of Adventure owners. But for the top 5% that want to push their bikes far beyond what KTM envisioned, they're happy I built it. Don't push your bike that hard? Then don't buy it. It's as simple as that. But you shouldn't assume everyone rides at the same level and has the same conservative financial position as yourself. The motorcycle enthusiast is well known for blowing shit-wads of hard earned cash on treating their favorite ride to the latest bit of tech... logic has no place here.

It helps to understand that I didn't build this kit because I saw a desire for it. I already had the parts on my bike and was getting approached time and again by others who wanted the same upgrade. Those that reached out to me early on are more than familiar with my trying to talk them out of it. Most often citing the ridiculous costs. But for the few that wanted it and are now enjoying the advance capabilities Öhlins offers, they're happy I took the risk and put it out there. Then again, I'm the guy that spent 8 months and $14k on a mold because I wanted a very specific style of gas tank on my SER!

I don't build motorcycle parts because they make any kind of financial sense... I do it because I have a vision and a passion to ride...

www.powercellperformance.com

PowerCell screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 04:47 PM
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #159
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,241
I love it.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #160
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Well said

Thank GOD there men who are passionate about these bike's
Old 12-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #161
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
I don't build motorcycle parts because they make any kind of financial sense... I do it because I have a vision and a passion to ride...

And long may men continue to pursue such trivial pastimes!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #162
kaptinkaos
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post

As discussed earlier in this thread, this is a huge upgrade with cutting edge technology. It's expensive and it's not going to be worthwhile for 95% of Adventure owners. But for the top 5% that want to push their bikes far beyond what KTM envisioned, they're happy I built it. Don't push your bike that hard? Then don't buy it. It's as simple as that. But you shouldn't assume everyone rides at the same level and has the same conservative financial position as yourself. The motorcycle enthusiast is well known for blowing shit-wads of hard earned cash on treating their favorite ride to the latest bit of tech... logic has no place here.

It helps to understand that I didn't build this kit because I saw a desire for it. I already had the parts on my bike and was getting approached time and again by others who wanted the same upgrade. Those that reached out to me early on are more than familiar with my trying to talk them out of it. Most often citing the ridiculous costs. But for the few that wanted it and are now enjoying the advance capabilities Öhlins offers, they're happy I took the risk and put it out there. Then again, I'm the guy that spent 8 months and $14k on a mold because I wanted a very specific style of gas tank on my SER.

Here here... Well said. I don't buy parts that let me push my boundaries because I make money riding either... So glad there are dudes out there like yourself that think like riders, :)

I'm still following this for the Adventure version pricing and availability. I'm off to Baja in a week with my 450EXC and a buddy till early/mid January to meet some guys for pre-rides, but come spring I'll have a shit-wad that needs spending due to lack of logic, but need/want of enhancement. Right now I've worked a hole through my high fender from the tire rubbing and put some really mean dents in a super thick BlackDog skid pan and I don't think half-assing my suspension with a couple of upgrades (ie spings and valving) is going to do anything but impose a new limit on myself and cost me more $$$ in the future. For now, the 990 sits in the shop waiting patiently as I am for further detail on the Adv version. I still have to sort an external fuel pump (to expunge the internal one that will cost me a long walk if I break the left tank) and a skinny rear wheel. Those, plus this suspension, is cheaper than a 950 and I'm out of room for toys anyway, lol! Add the regained price of selling the stock WP's on forum and it's minimal really.

So, no toe-tapping from me, just eagerly awaiting the details! Cheers PowerCell and thanks for all your work!!!

(Edit: Just checked your site again... and holy hanna, is that an Adv kit I see?)
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)

kaptinkaos screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 01:40 AM
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:38 AM   #163
Adventcha UnCut
Wannabe

Oddometer: 312
The 277 ADV kit Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptinkaos View Post

(Edit: Just checked your site again... and holy hanna, is that an Adv kit I see?)
I think Ken is screwing with his post atm so I can't get in there.

I wouldn't call meself a great rider but was finding that the standard '07 ADV ABS 220mm setup was limiting me a bit so was looking to upgrade to the stock KTM '07 990S 265mm standard setup. In Oz that would have cost AUD $1600 using OEM KTM parts so Ken's ADV Ohlins kit had far more appeal.

On the road it feels like a Motard and off-road guys are saying "what are you doing in here on that big heap of shit".....

Cheers,

ADV UNCUnT
Adventcha UnCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #164
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
just out of curiosity- for the forks with the kit, is it a replacement set of forks or just the internals?

considering the costs for the whole monty, it's a bit easier to justify to yourself a purchase if you can sell your existing setup (currently SPS) if you can recoup some of the costs by selling your existing suspension, but from what I read and remember, it's a whole new rear shock, but the forks are just the internals, you still need your existing forks... I'm pretty sure that's what Ken had said before..
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #165
PowerCell OP
Manufacture

Oddometer: 2,265
Hey, I appreciate all the kind support guys...

SpeedyR, the fork kit for both the SER and the Adventure includes a modified Öhlins TTx cartridge kit and custom springs. You'll re-use your outer tubes, stanchion tubes and drop-outs. When you have the forks apart I always recommend new bushings, seals and wipers if they haven't been replaced recently or upgraded to the excellent SKF parts.

Out back you have two options for the Adventure. Our basic kit comes with all the pieces needed to extend your stock shock to match the new forks at 277mm. This isn't a cheap kit by any means as it includes a nickel plated custom shock body along with a microcell bottom-out bumper. All good stuff!

The second option for your Adventure is you can choose to install the Complete SER kit. It includes the TTx22 front cartridge setup described above, as well as our new Öhlins TTx44 rear shock that was developed exclusively for the SER... but also fits the Adventure. This option is the ultimate in suspension but comes with a matching price tag and you'll no longer have the hydraulic preload adjuster.

If you already have revalved suspension that has some market value, you can sell it as a swap to someone looking for a nice upgrade. Our kit works on any year Adventure or SER, so you can accept 235, 245, 255 (SER) or even 265 suspension in trade.

www.powercellperformance.com

PowerCell screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 11:10 AM
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote