ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Tell us what you'd like...
Öhlins TTx22 front fork kit 5 2.48%
Öhlins TTx44 Mk-II rear shock 11 5.45%
Both of the above 57 28.22%
I'll stick with my WP stuff and spend the money on beer 129 63.86%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2013, 05:04 PM   #46
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 717
Sound s good

Id be in for both ends pending pricing. Dont drink beers, rather spend that on tires.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #47
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 398
IN. My last get off cost 1k+ pain ,Blame it on the rear boinger
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #48
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
You know, I've seen several people refer to 320mm front suspension. Originally Pyndon, and more recently Alex at Konflict. I'm not sure if they're transposing numbers or what, but the stock KTM EXC/SX forks run 300mm/302mm respectively. WP stuff is already a little edgy when it comes to overlap between the fork housing and the stanchion tubes (Öhlins complete forks run 24mm extra), so I can't recomend or even imagine pushing them another 20mm. The big bikes place a crap load of force on the fork slider bushings. To decrease that overlap even a small amount can cause the fork bushings to wear quickly and the forks will start to flex and become unstable.

Maybe the confusion is they're really only referring to the shock. I haven't spoken to either about it. You can extend the length and travel of the shock, but this will unfavorably upset the frame geometry. You could try and compromise by running a dual-stage rear spring so that any added travel is only realized as droop, but that's not going to benefit you as much as you might hope as it causes the shock to pump. The true solution out back would require a shock relocation and modding both the under seat tray and the subframe.

Another issue with the forks is the bottom triple-clamp. It rides approximately 25mm lower than a KTM thumper. You just don't have the room available for this kind of travel without building all new fork housings and stanchion tubes from scratch (~$10k). If I were to attempt this I would definately upgrade to a 52mm fork tube and increase the overlap. Unfortunately, this would raise the seat height by another couple of inches!

I believe shorty Adventure forks are 235mm, SER forks are listed at 250mm (resticted due to the aweful rear shock), and S forks are around 265mm. I run the max physically available without unbalancing the geometry... 277mm. Any more than that to me requires a frame redesign...

here's the page for Pyndon's setup. this is what I had been thinking about but as you said, the seat height of the SE is already pretty high, with more travel (unless it's sag) it's going to affect that I would assume.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833821

also I would assume that he's making his own longer fork tubes for that price and like you said to keep the overlap but who knows...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #49
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
I wonder some times how those long travel shocks alter the geometry of the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #50
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
detrimentally
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #51
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 824
The kit I offer is 320mm, it is far from a typo.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #52
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 415
I run an Ohlins in the rear on a 660Rally and it is amazingly good so would be interested in some for the 950A but maybe a little shorter than 277mm. The 950 is a hell of a lot wider across the seat than the Rally which makes it feel taller at 235mm.
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #53
PowerCell OP
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
The kit I offer is 320mm, it is far from a typo.

Hey Alex! Hope you're enjoying your trip to Joshua Tree. Can you tell us more about this conversion? How do you find the extra stroke... damper rod and piston tube? And what do you do about interferrence with the underside of the triple clamp?

Thanks!

PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #54
Bones_GSXR
Barb's Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 348
I have Ohlins on many bikes currently Forks and shocks) and have Shocks and Fork internals on a couple of Roadrace Bikes as well. I like all of them but find that the having forks and shocks reworked by a Pro works as well and can be had cheaper. This does not mean that I would not be interested in better items for me "New to Me" SE but at the level I ride at now (Ex Racer on Dirt, Current Racer on Asphalt) they might be more than I need. I was looking at the Forks you have on the Flea Market....

But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #55
Bones_GSXR
Barb's Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 348
Oh yeah, does any one if a 525 front and LC4 Rear wheel would be close to the 950SE?
they are the ones on the (95 ATK in the above photo)
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try to shove it down my children's throats.
Bones_GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #56
PowerCell OP
SE990R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones_GSXR View Post
Oh yeah, does any one if a 525 front and LC4 Rear wheel would be close to the 950SE?
they are the ones on the (95 ATK in the above photo)

The front will work,no problem. Not sure about the rear. But I am pretty sure Horst Leitner would not approve that frame color...

Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #57
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
The front will work,no problem. Not sure about the rear. But I am pretty sure Horst Leitner would not approve that frame color...

not to threadjack but what's the durability like on a RFS front wheel on the SE? I've got a few spares (20" and 21" excel pro series hubs) that would be nice to keep a spare tire on for the 950 if they would hold up to BOB (Big Orange Beast). I'm thinking a 90/100-20 front on the SE would be nice...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #58
PowerCell OP
SE990R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
not to threadjack but what's the durability like on a RFS front wheel on the SE? I've got a few spares (20" and 21" excel pro series hubs) that would be nice to keep a spare tire on for the 950 if they would hold up to BOB (Big Orange Beast). I'm thinking a 90/100-20 front on the SE would be nice...

That's what I've run for 5 years now. It's an improvement in durability...

Old 05-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #59
kennyd
kennyd

Oddometer: 231
adventure vs super enduro

Can the rear shock be interchangeable on both bikes? SE and adventure? what will the overall length be on each one? how does this compare to the stock length on each one? i assume there will be no hydraulic preload on either one. will there be a simple manual preload screw on both or as an option? also i can only vote 1 time on the poll but i want 2 shocks as i have and adventure and a super enduro too!
kennyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #60
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
You know, I've seen several people refer to 320mm front suspension. Originally Pyndon, and more recently Alex at Konflict. I'm not sure if they're transposing numbers or what, but the stock KTM EXC/SX forks run 300mm/302mm respectively. WP stuff is already a little edgy when it comes to overlap between the fork housing and the stanchion tubes (Öhlins complete forks run 24mm extra), so I can't recomend or even imagine pushing them another 20mm. The big bikes place a crap load of force on the fork slider bushings. To decrease that overlap even a small amount can cause the fork bushings to wear quickly and the forks will start to flex and become unstable.
I presume the 310mm travel I have on the front of the SE came from reducing overlap? As far as I know, there are no clearance issues on the front - as the upper travel limit hasn't changed. I cant remember now if we put EXC inner tubes or used the originals - its too long ago ...

Not sure what was done in the shock - but I know it was all done with off-the-shelf WP parts so that it would be affordable.

Chris at OnTrack Racing (http://www.on-trackracing.com/) was the guy who did mine (not sure if he also had a connection with the work Pyn was doing)

PC, I had a recollection you were running 320mm suspension on your bike. Do I remember wrong, or did it change?

Having another option for the shock would be nice - but Im a bit loathe to give up the height on my SE as I have grown to love it.

mookymoo screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 05:46 PM
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote