Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #151
myorangecrayon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Not meaning to thread jack, but if you had been taking the trip 50 years ago your setup might've looked something like this:

Place close to where I work sells classics, this is their mobile advertising.
myorangecrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #152
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomeranger7 View Post
Great ride report and your photos are awesome!! In response to your comment about building up your FJ...Expedition One manufactures the bumpers and sliders (which are on the FJ in your photo) and they are absolutely bullet proof/top shelf and not too difficult to install. Customer service is outstanding and they have a variety of styles to suit your needs.
Oh man, don't tempt us

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #153
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by myorangecrayon View Post
Not meaning to thread jack, but if you had been taking the trip 50 years ago your setup might've looked something like this:

Place close to where I work sells classics, this is their mobile advertising.
This is what my pictures here will look like in 50 years too I guess!!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #154
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Didn't get a chance to post a pic of this before but in case you thought it was a little spill, here's a pic of what was coming out of the guys truck!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the way back to the campground it started to rain. Not too bad, but enough to get the roads all wet. I was thinking something along the lines of: " this sucks, I need to wash this thing and take it right back out into the rain". Oh we'll. priority number one is to get this oil off of the truck, so off I went. I got to the self serve car wash with plenty of daylight to spare. Armed eith a bucket, wash-mitt and some washing soap, I found a bay and got to it. This stuff was thick and the only way this was coming off was to use gas. I would use the wash mitt at the end once it was all off...I Hope. Luckily we were carrying a rotopax with a few gallon of gas in it.

As far as car-washes go, this is as good as it gets. They had some classic rock playing overhead and each bay allowed you to pay with a credit card. I don't know why every one of these places doesn't offer this. It sure as hell makes it easier to SPEND than havi to get change and duo a bunch or quarters in there. Today this feature would come in VERY handy for sure. I think I spent over $20 trying to get all this crap off. I got most of it out but some was stuck on the running boards and the wheel wells. That would have to wait til another time I guess.

While I was drying the truck these two guys pull up on Harley's. They weren't the Harley-Biker type and when one of them comes to ask me a question about how to use the pay-slot its immediately apparent now that these guys are French tourists and that the bikes are rentals. When the guy turns and sees the truck he says, "ohhhh, Raptooooor!!". He takes a walk around and in his best English we talk about the truck (I MIGHT be able to ask where the bathroom is in French, which right now would be a little awkward). He asks to take a picture with the truck to which I say, "of course". What was funny was that when he extends his arm to lean and pose against the truck he grabs one of the microfiber towels I was using to dry it with and puts his hand on top of that so as to not actually touch the truck!!! (And to those that know me....(Scott)....no I didn't ASK him to do that!!). I laughed to myself and thought, "man, talk about courteous!!!!" These guys were very cool and seemed so genuinely happy to be here in the USA that one can't help but extend a warm welcome to them.

So with their washing done I wished he and his friend well and they were soon on their way. I was almost done as well. I packed everything up and started to head back to camp. It hadn't rained since I got to the car-wash and that, along with Moab's dry climate, meant the roads were now dry. Which of course, makes this very picky guy pretty happy.

It was time for dinner so once back we got ready and went back down that same road to a place called Jeffrie's. just in case I turned a few blocks short of it. I wasn't about to drive far enough to where the big oil spill occurred.

At the restaurant we saw even more evidence of just how many tourists there are here in Moab. The waitress confirmed that most of the tourists this time of year were French and Italian. This makes sense since those countries all but shut down during the summer. Case in point....We sat out in the courtyard area and of roughly ten tables and only two were English speaking. Good to see american tourism alive and well ;)

The setting was perfect. Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but imagine a courtyard with a large tree in the middle. The tree canopies the entire area. Hanging and stretching from one side of the courtyard to the other are hanging bulb lights (think big white Christmas lights). The weather was cool but comfortable so all-in-all, a perfect place to be. Dinner consisted of steaks and a garden full of mushrooms.......i say this because even though we ordered mushrooms as one of our appetizers, little did we know, the steak also came with mushrooms. Dinner was fantastic though. I should mention that this place provides what the waitress described as a "2-hour experience". I told her as long as that "experience" consisted of the table never being void of something to eat, we'll all be very good friends :)

Dinner was great and our 2-hour "experience" was coming to a close. We decided against desert, paid the bill and made our way back "home". Time to get some rest.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #155
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
Didn't get a chance to post a pic of this before but in case you thought it was a little spill, here's a pic of what was coming out of the guys truck!!
I once hit an airplane suspension spring outside of Reno. It gutted the undercarriage of my Audi. They were able to trace the part and find the person transporting it. Their insurance covered $8000 in repairs to my car.

You should have taken a picture of their truck, your truck, the leak, and the company name on the side of the truck. I would have contacted them and asked that they pay for the damage. Should be a slam dunk.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #156
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I once hit an airplane suspension spring outside of Reno. It gutted the undercarriage of my Audi. They were able to trace the part and find the person transporting it. Their insurance covered $8000 in repairs to my car.

You should have taken a picture of their truck, your truck, the leak, and the company name on the side of the truck. I would have contacted them and asked that they pay for the damage. Should be a slam dunk.

JG
We actually did. Stephanie called them while I drove and told them what had happened. At that point I wasn't sure how the cleanup would go. Had we called back I'm sure we could have worked it out with them. The "damage" though was just actual cleanup. Sucks, but honestly I didn't think it would be worth the trouble to get them to pay for what essentially would be a hardcore car wash. In your case I would definitely have done the same thing you did.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #157
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post

I'm guessing that Toyota belongs to the Advrider inmate "bretedge".
Old 10-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #158
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Lots of good info for planning rides in this area....but.....are the bikes ever getting out of the truck?
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #159
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Lots of good info for planning rides in this area....but.....are the bikes ever getting out of the truck?
Getting there

Old 10-26-2013, 03:09 AM   #160
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's....4,000 miles (and then some)

The plan the next day was to head just down the road to Arches National Park. We figured to do some exploring there and maybe take the truck out off the beaten path. We'd likely be out there most of the day so we packed some food and drinks. Below are some pictures. Pretty awesome place. And I may or may not be able to confirm that a Ford Raptor rides over wash-board roads at 70mph much better than it does at say, 25 mph. Again, is pure speculation.

One of the tourists posing and "holding up the arch"

Stephanie dubbed this "Plumbers Arch"

Disclaimer: Objects in mirror are going MUCH slower than they seem

Back to camp:

Our stay in Moab was coming to an end. We considered hanging around to watch the sunset before calling it a day at Arches, but we were both ready for some food. We headed back to camp and drove over to a sushi restaurant called Sabaku Sushi.It was late so it was a dine-and-dash type meal, but it was definitely good food. If you're in Moab and want sushi, eat here because, well…..it was the only sushi place there we think.

Tomorrow we'd head out towards Idaho Falls where we made arrangements for 2 storage units. One for the truck and the other for the Airstream. The distance was a bit much for one day so we'd drive as much as we could and spend the night somewhere along the way. This would leave us a short drive to Idaho Falls the following morning and would allow us plenty of time to get to Jackson, WY. Yes Blader54.....time for us to continue on 2 wheels.

GP1152 screwed with this post 10-26-2013 at 10:06 AM
Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #161
Candiya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Woot! The bikes are coming out to play!
Candiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #162
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Hey Gus,
I do dig this report....it's just that I love your ride reports even MORE! The Ducs are about to roar! Yay!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #163
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiya View Post
Woot! The bikes are coming out to play!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Hey Gus,
I do dig this report....it's just that I love your ride reports even MORE! The Ducs are about to roar! Yay!
It's cool. I know this was a bit different due to the changes in plans

Old 10-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #164
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The drive towards Idaho Falls wasn't the most exciting. We considered pushing all the way to there in one day, which was about 450 miles away, but we'd get in so late that it wouldn't do us much good anyway. If we could push to somewhere just past Salt Lake City we would be roughly 2 hours away from Idaho Falls. That would mean being able to leave there in the morning, arrive at the storage unit in Idaho Falls, lock the truck and Airstream up in there and be on our way (on the bikes) to Jackson. Jackson is only about 90 miles from Idaho Falls so we could easily get there with plenty of time to spare.

We managed to avoid the rain that seemed to be off in the distance all around us and were making decent time. It had already been a while since we had eaten and being that we were on a main highway (I-15), we looked for a Cracker Barrel and sure enough, there was one dead-ahead in Springville, UT (50 miles south of Salt Lake City). The place was fairly empty so getting in and out of there in a timely manner was easy. You'd think the guys landscaping would hurry a bit too considering how hot it was outside (they were there when we got there and still working on the same area as we left).

Very thoughtful of them to put this in the stall at the cracker Barrel, don't you think?:

The heat and the fires around these areas wouldn't have made for such a great ride on the bikes, so maybe it hadn't been such a bad idea to go about this the way we had (with the truck). We'd have to keep an eye on the fires from here on out. It seemed Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana were seeing their fair share of fires and we were going to be riding through all of those states.

We made it as far as Brigham City, 60 miles north of Salt Lake City and 160 miles from Idaho Falls. Everything's going according to plan.

The dreaded RV park. That's where we ended up for the night This place sucked too. Whatever, it gave us a chance to take inventory on what we'd be taking along the next day and would also let us prep the Airstream for storage. There was a Laundromat a block away so we took advantage of that and got some washing done while we went back and had dinner.

The next morning we woke early and packed our tail-bags, backpacks and tank bags. If you followed the last ride-report you know that we've become pretty good at packing, so that didn't' take too long. One thing was for sure, it was hot everywhere we were headed. No need for anything heavier than our light Arc'teryx jackets for a cool evening (if that even happened…...I knew I should have gotten one of those fancy new cooling vests). With all that taken care of, it was time to get going.

With only a stop for lunch planned, it shouldn't' take us long to get to the storage units. For lunch we decided on a place called Taqueria 2 La Costa, in Pocatello, ID. We found it on Yelp and saw it had good reviews. This place was the real deal. Aside from really good authentic food, probably my favorite part of the meal was the kids that worked there. They were the owner's kids and one of them (the younger one that was maybe 11 years old) ran the register. The other kid (maybe 14) handled the orders. The little guy was hilarious. I asked what ingredients were in this or that and the kid rattled off everything as if he had said it a thousand times. Those little bastards both had spunk!! I guarantee you those kids will make it big someday.

("unlock the damn door....it's hot out here!!)

Loaded up on more Mexican Food than one should probably have before getting on a motorcycle, we continued on towards Idaho Falls and the storage units. Stephanie had been the one communicating with the owner of the storage facility so she called to let him know we weren't too far away. We stopped for gas at one of the now infamous (to me) Costco-themed-gas-stations and Stephanie went inside to get some iced-tea. Yeah, "uh-oh" is right. I was on a work-related call and wasn't able to stop her and/or go in instead of her. To add to the inevitable time-sucking experience, she said she was also going to find some bandages for the small split/cut I had on the tip of my thumb (damn thing made it hard to do just about anything). I was on the phone for a while so we were able to leave……oh wait a second……that's right….she's still in there. Again, it's now been a while so unless the place is being held up OR she's the millionth customer and is signing all the paperwork for the winnings, there's absolutely no way it could take this long. So I did what any patient man would do…... I went inside to look for her. I opened the door and there she was, at the register, finishing up this huge transaction…..that consisted of 3 items. She of course, had her iced-tea and was all smiles.

We eventually made it to the storage facility and met with the owner to pay for and get the keys to the units. The units were almost big enough to fit the truck and the trailer together, but not quite. These units together were probably 1/3 of what I would pay for a small closet sized unit where we live so it was ok. The guy was also giving us a prorated rate for the short time we were going to be needing it for.

We got the keys, headed to the units and pulled everything in. Since the truck was in it's own unit we were able to unload the bikes and just leave the ramps attached to the truck for when we got back. Over in the Airstream unit we ran the generators to get the AC going. We still had a few things to get done here and there before shoving off and we weren't about to sit in our gear, in 95+ degree heat, if we could avoid it. Think jet blue, airplane, delay, runway, broken AC. That's what it would be like in that thing. Rivets and all!!

All geared up and ready to go, it was time!! We locked everything up hopped on the bikes. We were off…..almost. When we got to the gate the sensor on the floor wasn't bike friendly enough to open. So much for keeping cool. There was nobody around and the fence was, as you can imagine, hurdle-proof. Luckily a minute later someone pulled up and opened with their access card from the other side. Ok so NOW we're really on our way.

I have to say, I like traveling in the truck, but even in this heat it felt REALLY good to be on the bike. As soon as I pulled onto the main road and turned the throttle a huge grin came to my face. I don't sweat too easily, but even the short time and the slow jaunt from the storage unit to the exit gate had my body's cooling mechanism going strong. With the helmet visor, any and all vents opened up and the speed steadily rising, the air instantly cooled me down. Adjusting my mirrors, I checked on Stephanie behind me. I settled in and thought, "good to have you back my friend".

We obviously no longer had the Airstream so from here on out we would be hoteling it. This trip had originally been planned with just the Raptor in mind and even then it was only supposed to get us and the bikes to St. George Utah. I had gone canceling and rearranging hotel reservations along the way, up to this point. Tonight we would be staying at the Parkway Inn, in Jackson, WY.

We took hwy-26 east out of Idaho Falls. Not the most exciting road but with the sun now steadily making it's way towards the horizon we passed over the snake river and everything seemed to change. To the right there was a fisherman in the water, casting his fly-rod in what looked like a picture out of a "Visit Idaho" Brochure. I'm sure that water is cold as hell, but it looked pretty damn good at the time. And….right on cue, I see an ice-cream shop and pull in. We had only gone 42 miles, but the total trip to Jackson was +/- 110 miles. This would be a good half-way point for us. Besides, ice-cream seemed pretty good right about now.

We pulled in and sitting at one of the tables outside was a father and his son. As soon as we took the helmets off they asked about the bikes and where we were headed. We exchanged itineraries and travel stories and learned that they had been traveling and decided to try and find a place to stay in or near yellowstone. Apparently they didn't have much luck since it was last minute and were staying there close by. Seated adjacent to the father and son was the lady that owned the place and her 2 granddaughters. There must be some generous child-labor laws in these parts because, at least for today, she was also enjoying the cost benefits of employing these little girls. It was the end of summer and she had just recently opened this place. This is where she babysits them it seemed. The girls were cute as can be. I joked with them about how cool it must be to have a grandmother that has an ice-cream shop. They seemed to agree. One was I believe 9 and the other maybe 7. THEY were the ones that rang us up too. I laughed when I gave her cash and she figured out what my change was. Probably figured it out faster than I did.

We sat down outside and had our ice-cream, which was very good by the way. After chatting with the nice people there we suited up and got moving again. When we asked about the route to Jackson the owner told us that it would be a nicer ride to go along hwy-26, which runs along the snake river, rather than turning onto 31, which was the route the GPS had chosen for us and whose left-turn was just a block away. The Hwy-26 route was about 20 miles longer, but we had time. If it was a better route then why not? Based on what she told us, the route was pretty straightforward. We understood that we would go "5 miles, then left", but apparently we were either too focused on the ice-cream or didn't hear her correctly because it turned out we made a left in TWENTY EIGHT miles!! (thank you Garmin). You'd think we shoved the ice-cream in our ears instead of our mouths. Which reminds me; To all you that prefer the paper-maps…..keep 'em. I'll stick with the GPS. Trust me, if old Chris Columbus had access to one he wouldn't have been peering into the sky with a little copper and glass thingie.

But i digress…..
She was right about the route. It was worth the detour. It wasn't the windiest road but it had it's fair share of long high-speed sweepers. With the sun now behind us we chased our shadows and continued alongside the snake river through the mountains, and eventually, north towards Jackson. The combination of time of day and very few other cars/bikes on the road made for an awesome ride. Not that I wanted to, of course, but if you wanted to you could have REALLY opened it up and had a blast ;) . That's purely hypothetically speaking, of course.

We arrived in Jackson about an hour before sundown. We parked the bikes in front of the Inn and I went inside to check in. I asked if we could leave the bikes parked there by the front door and although the lady helping me WAS very nice, she said we couldn't. She assured us the parking around back would be fine for us. I was skeptical, but it turned out to be perfect. Our room was back there and the spot we got was just outside the door.

We gathered our bags and found the room. This inn had been recently renovated and the rooms were perfect. We went through the usual routine of unpacking whatever clothes we'd need for the night and finding spots in front of the AC to air-out the boots, gloves and jackets. With that done it was time to shower and go get some food. Tonight I didn't need yelp to find a place. I saw a sushi place just as I made the left turn towards the inn, about a block away. We checked yelp to make sure nobody had died from their food and found the place to have some decent reviews. Score!! You might have gathered from the last RR that for me, nothing beats getting to your room and having food within walking distance.

Showered and ready to go, we walked the block to the sushi place. It was a clear,cool night out. Perfect for a stroll. We made it to the restaurant and were shown to our table. We were both understandably thirsty and ordered iced tea. when the waitress brought a mostly ice-filled glass I told her that unless she had a very comfortable pair walking shoes on she might want to just bring a pitcher and leave it there for us. She did. We were happy.

What we didn't eat all day we certainly made up for here. The food was good. We ordered mainly rolls, which is kind of hard to screw up. It was a good ending to a good day. We paid the bill and headed back to our room. Tomorrow would be another full day. We were headed through Yellowstone to West Yellowstone, MT, which is only 130 miles away, but the route would take us through Grand Teton National Park as well as Yellowstone. So, low-mileage, high-stoppage. In the morning I also needed look into the fire situation in some of the places we were headed. From what we're hearing it might become a problem in spots. That's a problem for tomorrow though. For now….some SportsCenter, then sleep!!

Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #165
lurw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
low-mileage, high-stoppage
I think this should be a sticker. Or a signature, at least.

Awesome ride report as usual, glad to see you're keeping us posted! Very nice pics out of Arches NP, and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics and reading your experiences from Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP.

I should really stop reading these North American ride reports, shouldn't I... makes me want to visit again, but I haven't got the time nor the money right now. Well, at least I can take part in the pleasure of someone else and enjoy their stories and pics.

lurw screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 06:08 AM Reason: their not there... how do I grammar
lurw is offline   Reply With Quote