Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #166
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurw View Post
I should really stop reading these North American ride reports, shouldn't I... makes me want to visit again, but I haven't got the time nor the money right now. Well, at least I can take part in the pleasure of someone else and enjoy there stories and pics.
You can always pay us to take them for you!! Just think of all the money you'll save on airfare and shipping!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles

GP1152 screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 09:28 PM
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:03 AM   #167
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jackson was a nice surprise. I knew it would be a great town but it seemed like more of an actual TOWN than what we expected. Unfortunately because we stayed a few extra nights here and there along the way (Goblin State Park to name one), we weren't able to stay more than the one night here. Definiely a shame as there were a lot of things to do around here, some of which was pointed out to us by inmates here who are familiar with the area. Next time for sure. (thanks again for the tips guys…sorry we couldn't put them to better use)

Which reminds me…….let me back-track a second here to let you know what the actual plan was to this point. From Jackson we'd go to West Yellowstone, Cody (WY), Columbus (MT), Great Falls (MT), Missoula (ID), McCall (ID), Ketchum (ID), Pocatello (ID), then back to Idaho Falls to get the truck and Airstream out of storage. from there we'd actually have a few days to head home.

In the morning we went down the hall for the complimentary breakfast (yes, she was very happy). While Stephanie got some food I read the local paper and read a story of a bear attack the previous day. Apparently there had been another one a few weeks earlier. Both incidents involved hikers. Goes to show you that these areas are Parks for us, but not actual "parks". These parts are wild and "home" to some animals that don't like surprises. Stephanie of course was looking forward to seeing a bear somewhere. This I'm sure isn't the type of encounter she has in mind though.

With breakfast done we packed our things back at the room and made our way to the bikes. The previous days ride was great but it was hot. That heat brought a LOT of bugs with it.

We decided to drive through town a bit on the way out to at least get a peek at what the surrounding streets had in store. In doing so we saw that there was a lot more to this town than what you'd think. Aside from all the obvious outdoor activities, there's plenty of restaurants, bars, shops, etc. I always knew this was a popular ski town, but it's definitely a place you can come to year round.

(all packed up and ready to go)

(Stop at the park on Broadway and Center Street)

After a stop for gas we headed north on 26 towards Grand Teton National Park. The weather was perfect for now and even slightly cool. But, we knew that would only last so long and enjoy t while we could. Traffic was light, but this is a national park after all and there was still a steady flow of cars coming and going. When we stop at this spot below there's a guy in an RV that spots us, comes over and hands me a piece of paper, asking me "hey could you take a picture of us in the RV and email it to me here to this address??". Yeah sure, no problem.

As you can see from the pictures, aside from the Kriega tail bags and backpacks (which we swear by) we both have Bags-connection tank bags. In mine I carry a Nikon D7000 with a 17-55 f/2.8 lens. That thing is a TANK, but I always feel I'll regret not having it with me if I leave it behind. Some years back I tried traveling with the camera in my back-pack, but I found myself passing up a lot of photo-ops just to not deal with getting off the bike, taking the backpack off, taking the camera out, etc, etc. Instead, I retrofitted this tank-bag with foam and made the inside a nice plush camera bed. This setup lets me take the camera out with my gloves and helmet on, take the shot and continue with minimal hassle. Stephanie has the same setup, but carries a Nikon D5100 with an 18-55 lens. Unfortunately she sometimes isn't as swift to take the camera out…….as is the case here when I pulled up to the gate at Teton NP. I was carrying the yearly park pass which is good for both of us. I pull up, cut the engine and tell the guy, "this is for me and……." when I look to the right, Stephanie isn't there. I look back to see Stephanie stopped a good distance back, then turn to him and say……."the girl on the bike back there". I guess he had seen her a moment before and said "she was taking a picture". She's smarter than I am and thought it would be nice to have a picture of the entrance. you know, like the one I didn't get at the last park when we were DRIVING?? Right!! Good job Stephanie

It was now officially hot. We stopped for pictures a few times, but honestly we weren't going to be getting off the bikes to do any hiking so I was pretty content seeing the sights while moving. the few stops did make for nice photo ops though:

The geography as you drive through these parts vary quite a bit. As you come up on 26 you drive though a valley with mountain ranges all around you. When you get into Grand Teton of meadows and even marsh, with mountains in the background. Then you get to "alpine-lake" looking areas.(see pics above and below). It's all beautiful though. As for that traffic flow I mentioned before, it was still ok, but we did find ourselves moving at a slightly faster pace than the others around us. At least enough to make it fun and still be able to look around…..and not get arrested.

(Stephanie, about to pull into a spot we can see some Bison from)

Grand Teton has a nice small village with a few shops and some restaurants and of course, the visitor center. One of the restaurants is more of a cafeteria and the other a sit-down type place. Unfortunately the sit-down had just closed, but their bar was open, served food and completely void of any other people. This is perfect for us since we can take one table for all our crap and the other for us. Which, with me sitting at it, its probably then just as full of crap as the other table is!!! Also, they have a salad/binge bar for Stephanie. It was technically closed but they hadn't cleared it yet and gave Stephanie full reign over it for a few minutes. Kind of like winning a chance to standing in the glass box with money flying all around her. Now, don't let the whole "unlimited food" thing scare you about Stephanie. She eats more with her eyes than her actual stomach. I think for her it's like a limiter on a sports car. Sure you'll rarely, if ever, go over 160 MPH. But it's nice to know you can go crazy if you want to!!!! So, off she went!! I can assure you I never get my money's worth at these buffet/bars, except for one time at an extremely pricey thanksgiving turkey buffet at the restaurant on the 36th floor of Grand Hyatt in SF. That was the OVER160 mph extravaganza. She went in there with a plan and I think the plan was to make sure they lost money on her that day. It didn't end well…….."Aly, can you go check on Stephanie and make sure she's ok".

The table and all the gear (crap)

I really am happy to be here. This is likely the 4th take and I hate being on this side of the camera:

Anyway, it was nice to get out of the heat and take a break. I ordered a Bison burger, which seemed to be the norm around here as far as meat goes. Our server was from Oregon (near Crater lake, where we told him we had passed through on our ride last year) and really was a great guy.

We bid our farewells and crossed the way to the visitor center to get our NP Passport book stamp (geeky, I know). Luckily that didn't take too long and we on our way quick enough. Not that I'm exactly in a hurry, but carrying our tank-bags, helmets and backpacks around isn't the most leisurely experience.

Stephanie, as we're ready to leave the Grand Teton Village:

There was a bit of road construction traffic right after we pulled out of the village area, but after that it was smooth sailing with just a few stop for pictures at places like this:

Up next, Yellowstone:

Driving through Grand Teton you're already at 7,000+ feet of altitude. Once in Yellowstone there are spots around 8,200 feet. This may or may not have been the reason Stephanie's bike was cutting off on her from time to time. She wasn't too crazy about this. As it is she's a bit weary overly steep downhill roads. Add to that some steep drop-offs over the sides and then this new issue and you have a not so happy camper. At one stop I got on her bike and tried it myself. I tried everything I could to recreate what she said was happening, but like when you take your car into the dealer for that annoying sound it's making…..it never happened for me.

Trying out Stephanie's bike for myself….no (bad )luck for me

(Lewis Lake - Yellowstone NP)

We had originally planned to go the long way around and into West yellowstone but with this issue we decided to just go the straighter route just in case. At one of the stops I called the service guy that takes care of us at the dealer back home to see if he would have any insight to what it night be. As I suspected, they said it would be impossible to tell until they plugged the bike into the computer to check for fault codes. One thing I didn't forget to mentioned to him was that the rear-sets they had installed on her bike before we left were never tightened down completely and certainly didn't have any loctite on them. I had noticed earlier and would have to get some on there. Luckily I carry some in my tool-roll.

The previously planned route (we ended up just turning led on 20 and for a more direct route to West Yellowstone, MT.

It may have been hot out and we may have been going the quicker route, but we still had to stop at a few other places since we were there. Places like the hot-springs. Pretty crazy to think this pumps out about 4,000 gallons of boiling water per minute:

(it all flows into this here river!!)

It was time to wind this day down and time to head towards West Yellowstone and our hotel.The sun was starting drop and we still had a little bit to go. The road heading out of the park on the West Yellowstone side was one of the nicest. Stephanie didn't get to see that bear just yet but we did see some wildlife along the way, like this:

We got into West Yellowstone and found it to be, understandably, a touristy little town with lots of t-shirt shops, gift shops, candy shops, fishing shops….the works. Not a terrible thing and not exactly a surprise given that it's at the gate of one of the most visited national park in the US.

We stayed at the West Gate Hotel which used to be a Comfort Inn. It was about 5 blocks off the main drag and fit the bill perfectly for us. We noticed when riding into town that the main "downtown" area was pretty crowded with people walking around, so being a bit out of the way from that wasn't a bad thing. The hotel had recently gotten a facelift and offered…….free breakfast ;) The view from the room? great and not-so-great at the same time. I didn't take a picture but I can describe it for you just as well. Imagine drawing the shades and in front of you, a wall. Thats' the not-so-great part. But, look at an angle to the left and you see the front of the hotel where the bikes where parked under the roof. That was the great part

We checked in, went to our room, went through the unpacking rituals, showered and headed out to get some dinner. There were a few options, but the best (and within walking distance) at the moment seemed was the Geyser grille. It was well after dark when we headed out and within a few minutes we were there. The night had cooled things off enough to where sitting outside was a good idea. Looking around it looked as though most of the people here were locals but that's always fine by me. We ordered our food and settled in. The food wasn't going to win any culinary awards, but good enough and really nothing more or less than what you would expect here. When we were finishing up we struck up a conversation with the owner who told us how this place was a seasonal business for him. In wintertime he runs a snowmobile rental business and that apparently gets pretty busy in the winter. Really nice guy. Glad we decided to stop there and will be back again the next time we're in town.

It had been a good day. For now though it was time to get some rest and get ready for tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll also need to call and find out what the fire situation is at the up-coming destinations. If we can't get through on our original route (above), there won't be many options to head back to Idaho Falls other than going back the same way we came. This would neither be very much fun nor very efficient. We'll see what happens tomorrow…...

GP1152 screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 02:10 AM
Old 10-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #168
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,580
Yeah!! there is bikes in this thread!!!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #169
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,211
Did you go all this way and skip Beartooth Pass?

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #170
jimtom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post

JG
I hope not.
jimtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #171
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post

JG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtom View Post
I hope not.

You mean this place?? (patience my friends......patience )

Old 10-31-2013, 05:35 PM   #172
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
I'm no expert, I've only been there twice, but that doesn't look much like Bearthooth. The valley is to wide to be the Redlodge side and the Yellowstone side you'd see 100 small lakes in a shot that wide. Not to mention there is no snow...there would be some snow on the tops no matter when you were there. Your mapped route above doesn't show you on Beartooth, the Beartooth is highway 212. Small point though, still lovin the report as always. Hope you did get to do Beartooth though, it's as good as anything you can see in that area. But whatever shot that is...killer looking road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #173
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
I'm no expert, I've only been there twice, but that doesn't look much like Bearthooth. The valley is to wide to be the Redlodge side and the Yellowstone side you'd see 100 small lakes in a shot that wide. Not to mention there is no snow...there would be some snow on the tops no matter when you were there. Your mapped route above doesn't show you on Beartooth, the Beartooth is highway 212. Small point though, still lovin the report as always. Hope you did get to do Beartooth though, it's as good as anything you can see in that area. But whatever shot that is...killer looking road.
When we were in Cody, WY we did a day-trip out to Cooke City. We spent the day riding the surrounding areas, including BT Pass. We didn't go all the way to Red Lodge though. The picture you see is on the way there from Cody. Oh not sure if you read from the beginning, but this was towards the end of August.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #174
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
When we were in Cody, WY we did a day-trip out to Cooke City. We spent the day riding the surrounding areas, including BT Pass. We didn't go all the way to Red Lodge though. The picture you see is on the way there from Cody. Oh not sure if you read from the beginning, but this was towards the end of August.
Good deal. The road in that shot I've got to track down next time I'm out.
doogiepooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #175
ZaethDekar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Awesome ride report, I haven't read the first one but will be going back to that now that I am caught up.

Question...

Does that really say Moran Entrance Station? I spend a lot of time down in the basement and that sign just fits perfectly.
ZaethDekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #176
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Highway 296

Quote:
I have ridden Bear Tooth Pass only once and it was spectacular. It looks like you took this picture on highway 296 when you were either on your way to or from Cody like you have reported.

I haven't ridden this road but I think you found a winner.

I really like the way you did this trip with your wife. I'm planning a road trip with my wife next summer to see some of the roads we missed last summer and I think I will do something similar. She no longer rides her own bike and is happy when I hike her these days.

After reading your report, I think I will just load my 1989 BMW Bumble Bee in the bed of my truck and then unload it and ride these outstanding roads with her. Since the Bumble is one of the first "Adventure Bikes" we can also take it off road if we want.

Really enjoying your ride report. I know how much work it takes to put a report like this together so I appreciate all the work you are putting into it.

Refreshed Bumble Bee that had been left for dead for far too many years before I rescued and adopted it and gave it a new home:
Old 11-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #177
2 Dogs
2 Dogs

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
That's Chief Joseph highway- a fantastic road in it's own right
2 Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #178
kid_andres
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
kid_andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #179
dfhepner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
That is Wy 296 or better known as chief Joseph scenic highway

Woops should have read to the end of the page.
dfhepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #180
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaethDekar View Post
Awesome ride report, I haven't read the first one but will be going back to that now that I am caught up.

Question...

Does that really say Moran Entrance Station? I spend a lot of time down in the basement and that sign just fits perfectly.
lol, it sure does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I have ridden Bear Tooth Pass only once and it was spectacular. It looks like you took this picture on highway 296 when you were either on your way to or from Cody like you have reported.

I haven't ridden this road but I think you found a winner.

I really like the way you did this trip with your wife. I'm planning a road trip with my wife next summer to see some of the roads we missed last summer and I think I will do something similar. She no longer rides her own bike and is happy when I hike her these days.

After reading your report, I think I will just load my 1989 BMW Bumble Bee in the bed of my truck and then unload it and ride these outstanding roads with her. Since the Bumble is one of the first "Adventure Bikes" we can also take it off road if we want.

Really enjoying your ride report. I know how much work it takes to put a report like this together so I appreciate all the work you are putting into it.
Bike looks great, man. Looks like it'll make a good "haul-around" bike From the sounds of it, it would definitely give you and your wife the best of both worlds.

And yes, although hauling the bike(s) is an absolute different experience from riding from town to town, it has it's own merits. There were a lot of long STRAIGHT stretches of highway that, unless we had been on dual-sports, could not have been avoided so bypassing that didn't suck. It wasn't something that would have kept us from doing the trip on the bikes, but doing the trip with the truck and airstream was a great experience nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Dogs View Post
That's Chief Joseph highway- a fantastic road in it's own right
Yes sir...that's the one.