Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #61
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I forgot to mention - if you want to sit on top of a mountain and watch the sun go down behind the Tetons, there are a couple of great choices. You can ride into GTNP and go up on Signal Mountain, in itself a great little ride, and get an incredible view from up there. If your butts are sore and you don't feel like riding to Teton Pass and Teton Village or into GTNP, you can walk to the base of Snow King Mountain right in the middle of town and either walk up it (a very nice but strenuous hike) or ride the chair lift up (and walk down, or ride down). Snow King is only about 3 blocks from the Snake River Brew Pub and all the hotels are within easy walking distance of downtown. Here's a shot from a walkup on Snow King I did once:

It's well worth the effort to get up off the valley floor... I rode my mountain bike up to this point ONE TIME - damn near harked up a lung, it is really a steep mountain! There are animals in Jackson who can do that climb at a run, but not me even in my prime.

If you don't do Signal Mountain in the evening, it's still a great ride and view point as you transit GTNP. Enter at Moose, ride north to the entrance to the Jenny Lake loop, do that, then when you're back on the main road head north again a few miles to Signal Mountain. It's an up-and-back road, fun and short, with an amazing view. Back down, turn north again, cross the dam, and you're at the intersection of the road to YNP, turn left.

I can't wait for your ride report! I guess I miss that country more than I thought I did...

Doug

You gotta tell me where to PayPal the fee for the trip consulting!! LOL

We're definitely going to try and do the chair-lift. Once there in town I'm sure (if history is any indication) that we will just lounge around town for the afternoon so that works.

Thanks as always for the tips. They are always welcome

RIDE REPORT: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....3,000 miles
CURRENT RIDE REPORT: Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's.....4,000 miles
GP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #62
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
Let's get this show on the road----can hardly wait. When are we leaving again?
Tell me about it!!! if you think YOU'RE anxious for this thing to start....Imagine what it's like for us!! Gonna have to wait a bit longer. We don't leave until the first week in August!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #63
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1152 View Post
Tell me about it!!! if you think YOU'RE anxious for this thing to start....Imagine what it's like for us!! Gonna have to wait a bit longer. We don't leave until the first week in August!!!
I can't wait that long. I think you should quit your jobs and just get on with it. Stinking reality...

We're headed to Wyoming the first week of July to visit family but we'll be flying and driving and won't likely have much time for serious adventuring.

Doug
Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #64
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Stephanie really wanted to do this on this trip, but it would take us too far out. I mentioned to her that this is part of another loop we hope to do later down the line. That loop will be from western WA along hwy-20 (I still have dreams about this road from last year) to Winthrop and up to Banf, then towards glacier NP. But I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves.
I see it, it keeps the incentive to going back to that area. There is plenty to be ridden and it is good not to rush too much. I'll see you in Graeagle in June.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #65
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
I can't wait that long. I think you should quit your jobs and just get on with it. Stinking reality...

We're headed to Wyoming the first week of July to visit family but we'll be flying and driving and won't likely have much time for serious adventuring.

Doug
yeah...unfortunately the people at the places we're staying need this stuff called "money" in exchange for our stay. Go figure I spoke to my emplyer and he says I can have some if I continue to peddle his wares.

Even in the cage it should be nice though. Enjoy

GP1152 screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 10:30 PM
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #66
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I see it, it keeps the incentive to going back to that area. There is plenty to be ridden and it is good not to rush too much. I'll see you in Graeagle in June.
Exactly the reason for getting a truck....To haul the bikes out further without wasting too much time in transit.

We'll be there. Should be fun!!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #67
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We were wondering which place would be a good stop to spend 2 nights. Ketchum or Park City? Anyone been to both? Which would be better to spend a few nights at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 PM   #68
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
We were wondering which place would be a good stop to spend 2 nights. Ketchum or Park City? Anyone been to both? Which would be better to spend a few nights at?

I have been to both. I had a good time in Ketchum in 2004. I spent only a half of a day there. I did end up at Lefty's B&G. Great place. Good food. Fun atmosphere and town.

I spent 3 days in Park City for a NORBA National. Entirely different feel. I was there when Josh Bender crashed on his Karpiel in 2000. Go Bender!!

Having read your RRs, I would recommend Park City. I think there is more to do with a couple of days off of the bikes. JMHO tho...

JG
live2ridetahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #69
Dulsprtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Ketchum or Park City

I agree with livetoridetahoe...Not too long ago I lived in Eagle, ID and visited the Ketchum/Sun Valley area often, In the summer time it's a great place to relax and fly fish but Park City has a much larger feel and more to keep you occupied for a few days. Both are wonderful places...you can't go wrong. If you make it to the Ketchum area Red Fish Lake is a must, it's about an hour north of Sun Valley on the way to Stanley Idaho. Look into it.

Quote:

Old 05-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #70
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
I agree with both previous posters. I have been to Ketchum quite a few times. I also live in Southern Utah but have been to Park City a few times also. Park City will have alot more to offer than Ketchum without a doubt. If you do make it to Park City you must try out the Alpine Slides. It is a bobsledding type deal where you take a Ski lift to the top of the mountain and bobsled down. There is another one where you are on like a bobsled type thing but this one you are on like rollercoaster tracks. That one was even better than the Alpine Slide. Both are a must do.. Here are photo's of each..

Alpine Slide

Alpine Coaster

Either of these can be done as double or single. I recommend the single. Also you control your speed. It's super fun..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #71
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Great info everyone. Looks like Park City is the winner :)

Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #72
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
If you choose Park City ------

Watch where you park--- Park city drunk drivers ---and there are a lot of them----run into your parked vehicle and then flee the scene---ask me how I know?
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #73
gadawgr6
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Woot! I made it before blast off! I read your last trip a few weeks ago! Totally awesome. Shows you can have a blast even if it has to be in short spurts and not months or years on the road.

Visit every hot spring you cross and take lots of photos please!
gadawgr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #74
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:

I stayed in Ketchum last month.
It took about an hour to walk up and down the main drag.

Lift Tower Lodge, decent place but no complimentary breakfast .

I thought if I went back with more time/wife I'd stay down the road in Hailey? looked like it might have more to see/do.

I agree with previous inmates, Park City will definitely have more to see & do. My wife grew up there. It has really grown over the last 20 years and can get pretty busy on weekends.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #75
GP1152 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks like Park City will be the place then. As for the parking, I found a place with underground parking, so the bikes will get a break for a couple of days ;)

For now everything is in place and I have rooms booked along the way. Seems it was a good idea to book ahead of time. Most places I called were close to sold out. And we're not talking about a few weeks out here. We leave in August!! Definitely would have sucked to be riding around these towns (some of which don't have many options to begin with) trying to find a place to stay.

As I've mentioned before, as much as we'd like to just get up and go without an itinerary or plan of any sort (and even though we have enough time for that), we'll get more out of the trip if we know where we're going/staying. Having it mapped out with hotel stays planned lets us ride all day without having to stop along the way to make plans/reservations for the night. One of the absolute best parts of the trip is pulling into town after a great, full day of riding, checking in, showering and then heading out for a good meal.

Keep the suggestions coming. if anyone has more suggestions feel free to chime in.

For now there are some preparations we'll have to make. It'll be hot so I'm looking into a few of the Rev'it evaporative vests and some thinner under-amour gear. Will probably sell our GoPro cameras and upgrade to the newer ones too. Also have to test loading the bikes onto the back of the truck. Not too worried about that though. I've loaded the dual-sports enough to assume it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure some other things will come up. We'll see.

August can't come soon enough.....