ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #61
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Thank you mvtr and cff and speedway

thank you for a well organized ride. i rode both days of the ds ride. the mud was terrible, but i had a great time. I made a new friend david aka junior or june yah as you nh boys would pronounce it ha ha. he was a great riding buddy till he drowned his bike just after the lunch stop on saturday. i really felt bad for him. hopefully he'll come back next year and party with us again.

i love the trails in bear brook state park and the sections of another state forest/park on sunday near white head. very awesome.

the weather could not have turned out better than it did.

thank you fire escape for handing out the dognuts and bagels. i look forward to it every sunday every year i'm there.

no star trek sightings. thankfully.

nice meeting you Natedog

also I greatly appreciate the track letting us stay there and use the showers. and also thank you to mvtr for having plenty of porta potties.

one more item: I noticed a few ez ups were torn up on saturday afternoon. i'm glad i had mine staked down and had it tied down to my truck.

sierraoffroad screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 05:11 AM
sierraoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #62
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
.................................................. ................................
also I greatly appreciate the track letting us stay there and use the showers. and also thank you to mvtr for having plenty of porta potties.

one more item: I noticed a few ez ups were torn up on saturday afternoon. i'm glad i had mine staked down and had it tied down to my truck.

We can't take the credit, the porta potties were a new thing by the Speedway (have to admit that we did not know they were coming), they are stepping things up each year. Also new this year were the big recycling bins to replace the rusty barrels. The Speedway has even bought their own trash truck so that they can pick up the trash each day rather than let it 'brew' over a weekend. They really are a first class facility and we hope that they continue to let us stay there.
Our future there is never guaranteed, all that they 'get' from our presence is is some charity PR and the warm feeling of helping a good cause. There are in truth a number of other 'good causes' out there and each year we get a few participants who seem determined to make the Speedway consider finding a different one to support. Showing up late at night without having pre-registered and then screaming at the Security folk who won't allow you in doesn't make us more popular with the staff. We did not have a 'lot' of 'problem children' this year but as always a few made their presence known.

The flying easy-ups seems to be an event tradition, fortunately, to my knowledge no one has been injured but I am baffled that we have riders who still don't secure them before heading off for 8 hours.

We are really glad that you had a fun time and look forward to seeing you next year.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:46 AM   #63
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
We can't take the credit, the porta potties were a new thing by the Speedway (have to admit that we did not know they were coming), they are stepping things up each year. Also new this year were the big recycling bins to replace the rusty barrels. The Speedway has even bought their own trash truck so that they can pick up the trash each day rather than let it 'brew' over a weekend. They really are a first class facility and we hope that they continue to let us stay there.
Our future there is never guaranteed, all that they 'get' from our presence is is some charity PR and the warm feeling of helping a good cause. There are in truth a number of other 'good causes' out there and each year we get a few participants who seem determined to make the Speedway consider finding a different one to support. Showing up late at night without having pre-registered and then screaming at the Security folk who won't allow you in doesn't make us more popular with the staff. We did not have a 'lot' of 'problem children' this year but as always a few made their presence known.

The flying easy-ups seems to be an event tradition, fortunately, to my knowledge no one has been injured but I am baffled that we have riders who still don't secure them before heading off for 8 hours.

We are really glad that you had a fun time and look forward to seeing you next year.

Bruce

thanks again Bruce and as you mentioned it's the arrogant people that will ruin it for us at the track. when i arrived friday at the main gate atound 11:30am the old man at the gate was not very friendly to me showing me a sheet that said not to let me in before 3pm. i politely told him i was pre registered and he looked up my name and checked me off. as i was checking in an RV went right through the gate without stopping. as you might have guessed that did not go over well. we really are on borrowed time up there and i consider it to be the ultimate privlidge to be allowed in there. i really wish other people that show up late with bad attitudes would have the same respect.

sierraoffroad screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 11:31 AM
Old 06-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #64
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post

Bruce
My awning arms are pushed back a 1/4 in. more than when i showed up at the track...eek1
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #65
GirlRyder
Queen of Flugistan

Oddometer: 1,570
Team Tortuga

Wow this guy captured most of what I rode Sunday --

http://youtu.be/KpJTXpnc-5g

.. albeit, I rode it slower than a turtle, with lots and lots of help from my friend Len, I made it through 50 miles of trail.

Thanks to MVTR for the great Adventure bike route on Saturday, and for putting on this incredible, well organized event for such a worthy cause.

And here is the official mascot of "Team Tortuga".. nearly crushed the little guy with my bike.

Still amazed it made it through some deep sh*t with not much ground clearance. I'll never forget this ride!!

Most unforgettable was being stopped by the Northwood police when trying to slab it back to the track.... Even after we explained that the NEC would not let us participate if our bikes were not street legal and registered, they still had to call in and check our New Yawk credentials..

GirlRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #66
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

good job grlrider. thanks for saving the little snapper.

i actually helped 2 little painted turtles cross the road some where in reset 8.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #67
GirlRyder
Queen of Flugistan

Oddometer: 1,570
More members of Team Tortuga, no doubt!

GirlRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #68
Junyah
@ the speed of plaid

Oddometer: 327
Laugh Can't thank everybody enough!

Sierraoffroad, thanks for leading and keeping an eye on me, hope to be as fast as you are slow someday Bike's had it's third oil change, all is well. It in fact seems to run better, maybe washing it on the inside helped
I will be back next year, no doubt! Brian, I'll trade you two rain jackets for a Coleman Grill Stove

NHMS, thanks for putting up with these Heathens, they really are great people!

CFF, bless you, really, for all that you do!

Rosie, you are an inspiration young Lady! Keep your chin up and know that we are all rooting for you.

Bruce, thanks for the coffee and doughnuts.

MVTR you did a great job! Loved the trails.

Only 51 weeks to go!

Junyah
Junyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #69
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

anytime junyah it was a blast. i'm glad to hear your bike is running better. you would have really liked sunday's ride, except a few spots. there was some great scenery out there. i saw some yoga pants at one of the gas stops.

oh and nice gesture on the trade, but rain coats don't cook burgers, steaks, fry potatoes, etc. if i decide to sell it you'll be the first to know.

sierraoffroad screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 06:12 AM
Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #70
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Happy Campers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyah View Post
Sierraoffroad, thanks for leading and keeping an eye on me, hope to be as fast as you are slow someday Bike's had it's third oil change, all is well. It in fact seems to run better, maybe washing it on the inside helped
I will be back next year, no doubt! Brian, I'll trade you two rain jackets for a Coleman Grill Stove

NHMS, thanks for putting up with these Heathens, they really are great people!

CFF, bless you, really, for all that you do!

Rosie, you are an inspiration young Lady! Keep your chin up and know that we are all rooting for you.

Bruce, thanks for the coffee and doughnuts.

MVTR you did a great job! Loved the trails.

Only 51 weeks to go!

Junyah
Thank you!
While I appreciate the inclusion I don't belong on your list. Duncan Donuts has been a great sponsor of the event for years. I just pick the stuff up and hand it out.
Really glad that so many of you had a great time. I copied your post and sent it to the head of the event as a reminder that we often focus on the one or two problems or complaints and forget that the event does make for quite a few 'happy campers'.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Old 06-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #71
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

does anyone know the total number of riders for the ds ride this year??
Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #72
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Numbers

I heard 349 registered riders on Saturday, that would probably include both the Kid's Classic and the Big Bike Ride. I do not know how many new registrations there were on Sunday. I would expect to hear the total number at next months' MVTR meeting. Numbers were definitely down over all, the kid's ride had been a 'sell out' (no more seats on the bus or room on the trailer) for years but has not filled for at least the past three years, weather forecasts were rather dismal even if the actual weather was not so bad and the economy may indeed be improving for someone but not any that I meet so.... I don't know if we will ever see numbers like 550 again.

Bruce
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #73
natedog39
New Sheriff in town

Oddometer: 6,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraoffroad View Post
thank you for a well organized ride. i rode both days of the ds ride. the mud was terrible, but i had a great time. I made a new friend david aka junior or june yah as you nh boys would pronounce it ha ha. he was a great riding buddy till he drowned his bike just after the lunch stop on saturday. i really felt bad for him. hopefully he'll come back next year and party with us again.

i love the trails in bear brook state park and the sections of another state forest/park on sunday near white head. very awesome.

the weather could not have turned out better than it did.

thank you fire escape for handing out the dognuts and bagels. i look forward to it every sunday every year i'm there.

no star trek sightings. thankfully.

nice meeting you Natedog

Good to meet you too man, sorry I didn't get over to your fire Saturday.
We had a fire of our own and the sauce was flowing. (a little too much actually)
Don't forget about the Quarry Run in August.

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv

Team Ghetto does a hot lap of America
natedog39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #74
sierraoffroad OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
Good to meet you too man, sorry I didn't get over to your fire Saturday.
We had a fire of our own and the sauce was flowing. (a little too much actually)
Don't forget about the Quarry Run in August.

no prob man. we went to bed early like 10 sharp. i was a little beat.

we cooked a very big spyder. it easily spanned the size of an extra large glove. that was the highlight besides the fire. i'm bringing a woodstove next year. instead of a fire pit. friday night was cold.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #75
jcalis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Some videos from Saturday

Here are some videos from Saturday, it's everything up to the lunch stop.
Loved the ride, even with the mud and deep water crossings. Thanks guys!

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJ4EBlDoeE
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQx6-R_4jAA
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toqx1IrOL78
part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icc2bR2TB6U
part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HINSdJpvFOE
part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff8iJYbkY9c
part 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VthzbQWGIlg