ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
chrishsu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
How long will it take to ride this route along the coast?

This route is a section of our cross country ride in Sep and we will most likely riding this section in RED on Monday, 9/9. The total distance is about 240 miles. Given that it's a weekday, how much time should we plan for this route assuming that we would like to ride at a reasonable speed, probably stop every 1 to 1.5 hours, or whenever there are good stop points to enjoy the view?

Now if we have enough time, is it possible to be in Sacramento before dark riding the section in GREEN? Although it's about 100 miles from the coast to Sacramento, I just don't know how the traffic will be late in the afternoon.

Thanks!

04 DR650SE
chrishsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,292
I'd figure 5-6 riding hours for the 240 miles. (You're missing one of the great rides in the world by not going out to the Lost Coast via Ferndale-Petrolia.)

Getting over to Sacramento is certainly doable in a long day, but it will be slog in heavy afternoon traffic. This area is pretty heavily developed. I'd guess this is another 3.5-4 hrs of riding time.

Add in your break time, etc.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
chrishsu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I'd figure 5-6 riding hours for the 240 miles. (You're missing one of the great rides in the world by not going out to the Lost Coast via Ferndale-Petrolia.)

Getting over to Sacramento is certainly doable in a long day, but it will be slog in heavy afternoon traffic. This area is pretty heavily developed. I'd guess this is another 3.5-4 hrs of riding time.

Add in your break time, etc.

- Mark
Lost Coast - that's Rt 211, right? Sounds like I should get on Rt 211 and swing back on to 101 before Weott?

Thanks!
04 DR650SE
Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,375
Pretty difficult to maintain 50mph average on that route including stops.

I'm looking at 7 hours just for the red route, with one hour stop total. Unless you don't stop at all and road race, then perhaps 5 hours.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishsu View Post
Lost Coast - that's Rt 211, right? Sounds like I should get on Rt 211 and swing back on to 101 before Weott?

Thanks!
+1 on the Lost Coast, wild and unique country and not to be missed if you can possibly squeeze it in http://www.redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=3870. The coast (HWY1 and 101 up north) can be SLOW in the summer, lots of double yellow and rubbernecking tourists...drove it a lot on the job a few years ago. Google maps time estimates are usually fairly accurate in my experience. Bodega to Sacramento will not be fun east of 101 once you hit heavy commute traffic, though many parts have HOV lanes that MC's can use. There are LOTS of back road alternatives that might be better during commute hours....like Hwy. 128 to Winters, a great ride, you could go from Bodega to Santa Rosa, take Calistoga and St. Helena roads to St. Helena, pick up 128 there.

victor441 screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 02:02 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
chrishsu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
+1 on the Lost Coast, wild and unique country and not to be missed if you can possibly squeeze it in http://www.redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=3870. The coast (HWY1 and 101 up north) can be SLOW in the summer, lots of double yellow and rubbernecking tourists...drove it a lot on the job a few years ago. Google maps time estimates are usually fairly accurate in my experience. Bodega to Sacramento will not be fun east of 101 once you hit heavy commute traffic, though many parts have HOV lanes that MC's can use. There are LOTS of back road alternatives that might be better during commute hours....like Hwy. 128 to Winters, a great ride, you could go from Bodega to Santa Rosa, take Calistoga and St. Helena roads to St. Helena, pick up 128 there.
We won't really need to go into Sacramento at all. Our plan is to go to ASCycles BMW dealer to have bikes serviced, after 4000 miles with 400 miles to go back to the east coast, the next day. The day after that, we'll need to get on Rt 49 headed south. So are there alternative routes to avoid traffic?

Thanks!
04 DR650SE
Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,018
On a Friday during summer or ski season, I'd avoid I80 eastbound if I were you. On a good day, traffic lightens up after 6pm in the Fairfield area. If there's an incident at all, it's going to be nasty, even for motorcycles (especially after a long ride like you describe). Sure, Highway 1 is nice south, but it's nicer further north, and some of the twisties available between the coast and Lake Berryessa are more than worth what you lose on Highway 1 south of Bodega Bay.

I'd suggest a combination of some of these: Highways 20, 128 (coast to Cloverdale and Napa Valley to Davis), 253, 175 ("Hopland Grade"), Ukiah-Comptche Road, Mountain View Road, Skaggs Springs Road, Butts Canyon/Popes Valley Road, Knoxville-Berryessa Road.....

If you want more detailed ideas let us know.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
lvscrvs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Doing the green portion starting in late afternoon/early evening will work to your advantage. You will have the winds and sun at your back, and you will be after most of the commute traffic. Probably be dark by the time you get to Sac. If you have your route in your GPS and you should be fine.

Tiger 955i / Yamaha WR250R < Tiger 955i / DRZ400S / R1150GS < FJR1300 < DL1000 < BMW R1100RS < Ducati ST4 < DL650 zzzzz 30+ years zzzzz 125 Honda Elsinore < Suzuki TM250 < Yamaha 90 Enduro < Taco
lvscrvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
What bikes are you riding?
Some sections of the LC are er... less than smooth... which pretty much rules out Harleys.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
On a Friday during summer or ski season, I'd avoid I80 eastbound if I were you. On a good day, traffic lightens up after 6pm in the Fairfield area. If there's an incident at all, it's going to be nasty, even for motorcycles (especially after a long ride like you describe). Sure, Highway 1 is nice south, but it's nicer further north, and some of the twisties available between the coast and Lake Berryessa are more than worth what you lose on Highway 1 south of Bodega Bay.

I'd suggest a combination of some of these: Highways 20, 128 (coast to Cloverdale and Napa Valley to Davis), 253, 175 ("Hopland Grade"), Ukiah-Comptche Road, Mountain View Road, Skaggs Springs Road, Butts Canyon/Popes Valley Road, Knoxville-Berryessa Road.....

If you want more detailed ideas let us know.
yep, strongly agree on all of those except Hwy. 20 (too much traffic from Ft. Bragg to Willits, and often very slow through Lake Co. (not many employed people there ;-).....if you are not stuck on riding all the way to Bodega I'd head east before that on one of the suggested roads....as was said the smaller county roads can be rough and might not be a good choice on some bikes, the state roads generally have much better pavement. Hwy 128 would take you from the coast all the way to Davis, close to Sacramento...
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
chrishsu OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
What bikes are you riding?
Some sections of the LC are er... less than smooth... which pretty much rules out Harleys.
We'll be riding a BMW K1300S and R1200RT. Are any of these backroads not suitable?
04 DR650SE
Old 07-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishsu View Post
We'll be riding a BMW K1300S and R1200RT. Are any of these backroads not suitable?
These bikes are fine....but there is some seriously bumpy pavement if you head out from Ferndale to the Lost coast or do any of the other secondary routes. Optimal is some kind of bike with a little more suspension travel, but there are plenty of folks using full-on sportibkes. Some of these secondary coastal CA roads are more patching than original pavement.

101 and 1 - they're reasonably smooth.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
They are working on several bridges on 1 between Guala and Mendocino. I don't know if they will be finished before your ride, but it added an hour to my drive last month.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
tuna101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
When you leave the coast near Westport headed to 101(Leggett) pick up the Usal rd. and ride to Ferndale thru Petrolia if you aren't in a hurry, that's the Lost Coast. The Usal Rd is at mile marker 90.88 about 5 miles inland. Someone wrote Usal on the road at the junction. Was just there last month.
tuna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna101 View Post
When you leave the coast near Westport headed to 101(Leggett) pick up the Usal rd. and ride to Ferndale thru Petrolia if you aren't in a hurry, that's the Lost Coast. The Usal Rd is at mile marker 90.88 about 5 miles inland. Someone wrote Usal on the road at the junction. Was just there last month.
Yeah, Usal is great BUT, they are headed in the opposite direction AND they are on street bikes.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote