ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #16
uk_mouse
Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
The simple way to diagnose a true oil pressure problem is this - is it making a noise like a bag of spanners?

If you really have low oil pressure the cam chains will make a horrible racket. You can't mistake it.

I suspect the fault here is bad wiring or a bad sensor. A broken wire would mean the light would never illuminate, so the most likely culprit is the sensor. They are really cheap, as someone said above, but awkward to fit.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
I'm saying water pump. Just had same issue. Hard to tell by the oil as most of the coolant burns off. Pull your oil filter and take it for a ride. I'll bet problem is solved
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #18
ultrachrome OP
Poser

Oddometer: 272
I picked it up on Friday after they could find no problem. I've put about 50 miles on it with no oil light.

At the very least I have a video of it doing it and paper work that shows I took it to the dealer.

I've got a few maintenance items to cover this weekend. I'll probably pull the oil filter. I understand I can do that and only lose a few cups of oil, correct?

I'd really like to add a gauge since the water pump is bound to go sooner or later but still trying to figure out where I'd mount it. The SMT lacks much of a dash.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
I understand I can do that and only lose a few cups of oil, correct?
Put it on enough of an angle and would lose any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Thank god for this thread. I recently had to replace the countershaft on my 990. That job in itself was bad enough, but when I went to fire it up, the chains clattered, oil light flickered, etc. Anyway, I said WTF? This wasn't my first rebuild, not by a long shot. I checked everything I could short of pulling the engine and starting over, when I finally saw this thread. Last night I said "what the hell" and pulled the filter. Problem solved. I tried to blow back through the filter and it was almost impossible. It was a K&N filter. I had a HF (which I though was the same filter just different name), and the media was a different color. I installed it and so far all is well. A Scotts or KTM filter will be installed shortly. Oh, the waterpump was recently rebuilt and is still fine, that wasn't the problem.
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #21
Loui€
Rides With Reindeer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby View Post
Thank god for this thread. I recently had to replace the countershaft on my 990. That job in itself was bad enough, but when I went to fire it up, the chains clattered, oil light flickered, etc. Anyway, I said WTF? This wasn't my first rebuild, not by a long shot. I checked everything I could short of pulling the engine and starting over, when I finally saw this thread. Last night I said "what the hell" and pulled the filter. Problem solved. I tried to blow back through the filter and it was almost impossible. It was a K&N filter. I had a HF (which I though was the same filter just different name), and the media was a different color. I installed it and so far all is well. A Scotts or KTM filter will be installed shortly. Oh, the waterpump was recently rebuilt and is still fine, that wasn't the problem.
ou dear.

so K&N filters are bad?

I had the same issue after 5 months winterstorage and 3000 km driven K&N-filter....
no waves, just oil can't get through, and oil light flickerin'.
changed filter (to a new K&N...) and worked OK another 4000 km, then oil change + another K&N...
works OK.

now, should I get oem instead, to be sure, if K&N are bad?

L

Loui€ screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 05:04 AM
Loui€ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #22
Gabby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I'm not sure if my experience was an indication of all K&N filters, but I'm going to use a Scotts or OEM from now on. It may have just been a QC issue with the K&N. It's just too risky to chance
Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
Kiwi Pete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I've had to replace the oil pressure sensor before. It took a leap of faith to ride with the light on but I was in the middle of Bolivia at the time with not many options! In fact I think it was having that problem which introduced me to ADV rider. I got on the net and some bloke's brother in Thailand had had the same issue - gotta love the internet!

So, it could just be that. I think someone else has already mentioned this in this thread - it's a cheap part so personally I'd go ahead and change it.
Kiwi Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #24
ultrachrome OP
Poser

Oddometer: 272
150 miles and no light.

I pulled the clutch cover yesterday and no creamy goodness. I was all ready to check the oil filter it's blocked by the oil hoses. I have to pull both hoses which would mean I'd have to lay the bike on its side. I'm going to save that for next weekend when I plan to have the gas tank off.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote