User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
MSF class this week.

Ok, we've finally got everything all lined up, and will be taking the MSF course this week/weekend. Any words of advice? Any pointers? Should we study up on anything beforehand? Any ideas of what not to do? Shesaid is a little concerned about the early hours on the weekend, but I guess we'll just have to make the best of it. So tell me, what do we need to know?

MV
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,777
Wheelies, drag pegs, and two fingers on clutch and brake..........

Sorry couldn't resist.

Best advice I can give is to pay attention, listen to the instructors, relax, and have fun.

A motorcycle, if left to its own devices, can move in a straight line all on its own. What MSF concentrates on is the human interaction of turning and stopping. And be prepared to have "friction zone" pummelled into you.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,974
Don't coach her. Let the instructors do the work.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Go here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804684

and then watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGCgbEID83U

But mostly, have a good time and stay out of your own head and as mentioned, leave the coaching to the coaches.
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Might help to know what the basic controls are (left lever clutch, right brake, etc...). Otherwise just have fun.
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
motorat
TBD

Oddometer: 878
listen.
ask questions.
have fun.
bring a small cooler with water and a snack.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,506
Judging by your location, you may see my wife there.

She has read through the text book, and done some riding around the neighborhood. She has ridden 250 and 600 dirt bikes, and a 750 supermoto. That should make the class supplied bikes feel light and relaxed, I think.

I have given her some pointers, but tried not to overload her with stuff that might not match what the class teaches. Despite that, I encouraged her to do a couple of things wrong. She is aware of them, so hopefully she can unlearn them for the class.

It is supposed to be in the low 90s, so bring plenty of drink, and don't overdress. Don't forget the list of items required for the course.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
Ok, we've finally got everything all lined up, and will be taking the MSF course this week/weekend. Any words of advice? Any pointers? Should we study up on anything beforehand? Any ideas of what not to do? Shesaid is a little concerned about the early hours on the weekend, but I guess we'll just have to make the best of it. So tell me, what do we need to know?

MV
Be a little early.

Take hydration and snacks.

Dress comfortably and within the guidelines.

Listen to the rider coaches.

Ask questions.

Have fun. Even as an experienced rider, I had a good time in a BRC and learned a few things.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:

MV
Get an air compressor. You're going to be blowing up a lot of inflatable toys and you don't have enough breath for that...wait, that's my advice to NEW DADS. What was the question again?
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
-- Take a few moments at the beginning to pick a good bike that fits you well. I was way too tall and big for the GZ250 I grabbed first (plus the foot-forward position was a PITA the entire weekend). In hindsight I should have grabbed either the XT-225 or even the Ninja the course had, but I took the shiniest newest bike they had.

-- I'm sure an MSF coach will be in here shortly to provide the details, but it's my understanding that you can botch a few things on the final exam and not fail. Meaning, don't stress out too much, this isn't the hardest test you'll ever take, not by a long shot. Honestly, IME, the only downside was that for us slow-learners two days in a parking lot was barely enough for me to get perfectly comfortable before the test. A third day in the saddle and I would have been perfect (not to mention a whole lot less nervous).

And that was starting from complete and utter scratch-- somebody who already knows how to ride some will be just fine with the MSF, as long as they appreciate the coaches will want you to do it THEIR way, not YOUR way (i.e. you may have to unlearn some habits picked up along the way).
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalmace View Post
Might help to know what the basic controls are (left lever clutch, right brake, etc...). Otherwise just have fun.
Ok, that part we've got down pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Judging by your location, you may see my wife there.
Well, let her know to be on the lookout for us. I'm not sure if walking in and giving the ADV salute is such a good idea, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
-- And that was starting from complete and utter scratch-- somebody who already knows how to ride some will be just fine with the MSF, as long as they appreciate the coaches will want you to do it THEIR way, not YOUR way (i.e. you may have to unlearn some habits picked up along the way).
I've been trying not to ride too much, lest I pick up any bad habits, I'm sure I already have a few that will need adjusting.

MV
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Steigs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Keep an open mind, have no expectations and enjoy yourself!

And don't look down in the u-turn box.
Steigs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #13
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
And be prepared to have "friction zone" pummelled into you.
I'm a little worried about that one. Some of us were brought up to believe that clutches are used to engage/disengage the drivetrain, and to break torque to shift, not to control speed. So this one might be hard for me to get used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Be a little early.
I'm just worried about being on time! I'm not quite sure why we have to start so early, but I know it has been a major obstacle to our taking the class. I have to be honest, I really thought scheduling (and then attending) the class would be a bit easier, but frankly, I can see why many people opt not to take it.

MV
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:

I'm just worried about being on time! I'm not quite sure why we have to start so early, but I know it has been a major obstacle to our taking the class. I have to be honest, I really thought scheduling (and then attending) the class would be a bit easier, but frankly, I can see why many people opt not to take it.

MV
One of the beauties of the class! Don't worry about the clutch, first it's an oil bath and secondly it's not your bike!

What time have they got you starting?
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
I'm a little worried about that one. Some of us were brought up to believe that clutches are used to engage/disengage the drivetrain, and to break torque to shift, not to control speed. So this one might be hard for me to get used to.

MV
being early is important. The MSF doesn't want riders on the range for more than 5 hrs... they start to get light headed and it becomes 'the law of diminishing returns...'

re the clutch (friction zone)... yes, we were taught as kids 'don't ride the clutch!!' (of a car), but that's NOT the case with a bike, as already mentioned. A WET clutch is designed so you can ride it and not burn it out. It's critical for us on a bike, we need to ride the clutch anytime we're going slow. The throttle alone just isn't sensitive enough, with a bike.

Most important things in the class? well, the things on the test: emergency braking, emergency swerving, proper cornering technique.

Yes, the 'box' is on the test, but because it's not a skill that can keep you from crashing, it only counts as half what any of the others count for.

There's a lot of good info in those classes, especially for someone brand new. But friction zone, weaving, perimeter turns, shifting, etc etc aren't necessarily the goals, they are the stepping stones to get a new rider to be able to do all those and show proficiency in those things mentioned above, for the test.

While it's called the 'basic rider course', the culmination of the class is avoidance skills that could keep you from crashing. Things I'd bet half the riders (or more) out there never practice. So for them, it's an advanced course they couldn't pass.

Take it seriously, it's designed to help us be as safe as possible.

Cheers and have fun
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote