Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,415
Pretend you've never ridden a motorcycle before.. You'll learn a little more.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crash View Post

What time have they got you starting?
My wife's schedule:

Thursday (classroom): 6-11pm
Saturday (riding): 7am - Noon
Sunday (riding): 7am - Noon

That is a tough schedule when you live 1.5 hours from the location, and have to work early Friday morning.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #18
Vulfy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
During the lecture when you get off your bike, or even some demonstrations on the field, put your gloves or something on the seat of YOUR bike.

Each bike is a little bit different, and I remember as a total beginner a difference in how much of a play clutch lever had, completely threw me off, when somebody sat on my bike and I had to get on somebody else's.

So yeah, mark your bike somehow, and stick with it.
Vulfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
When we see couples taking the class together, we usually recommend they separate from each other on different ranges (assuming they have more than one range running at a time). Almost nothing good comes out of being on the same range. You're more distracted because you're watching each other, and in many cases one usually tries "helping" the other. Trust me, you're not helping. Let the coaches do their jobs, and compare notes later.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
Hesaid OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
When we see couples taking the class together, we usually recommend they separate from each other on different ranges (assuming they have more than one range running at a time). Almost nothing good comes out of being on the same range. You're more distracted because you're watching each other, and in many cases one usually tries "helping" the other. Trust me, you're not helping. Let the coaches do their jobs, and compare notes later.
We didn't really think about this part until after the fact. Had we thought about it, we may have opted for seperate class dates. I don't think it will be too much of a problem, as we(I) plan to let the instructors do the teaching. I don't have a problem helping with things like "Which one is the clutch?" and "What does this button do?", but as for riding, that's what the pro's are for. Besides, I'm hoping that I'll be learning quite a bit as well.

MV
Hesaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
My wife's schedule:

Thursday (classroom): 6-11pm
Saturday (riding): 7am - Noon
Sunday (riding): 7am - Noon

That is a tough schedule when you live 1.5 hours from the location, and have to work early Friday morning.

That's our class too... how do we identify your wife? Just walk in and yell, "HEY! Who's High Country Herb's wife?"

I am far-- FAR-- from my best at 7 a.m., I admit to being worried about retaining information and keeping a "lady like" demeanor at that hour. But fortunately, I was able to schedule time to sleep in on Friday morning. The Thursday night hours are just my speed!
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
wtjBatman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulfy View Post
During the lecture when you get off your bike, or even some demonstrations on the field, put your gloves or something on the seat of YOUR bike.

Each bike is a little bit different, and I remember as a total beginner a difference in how much of a play clutch lever had, completely threw me off, when somebody sat on my bike and I had to get on somebody else's.

So yeah, mark your bike somehow, and stick with it.
During my BRC, after we chose a bike, they put a piece of masking tape on the headlight with our names on it. We used the same bike for all of our testing. Sounds to me like all BRCs should do that!
wtjBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:39 AM   #23
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
I'm a little worried about that one. Some of us were brought up to believe that clutches are used to engage/disengage the drivetrain, and to break torque to shift, not to control speed. So this one might be hard for me to get used to. MV
Nothing to it my man.

First time I took the BRC was on a bike with a clutch adustment at the lever, instructor made a comment during an exercise about it, "obviously not being my first time", when they noticed me adjusting the clutch before we started on the range.

Growing up riding old two strokes, "working" the clutch was a way of life.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #24
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid View Post
I don't think it will be too much of a problem, as we(I) plan to let the instructors do the teaching.
For many people it's not a problem. For some it is. And it's not just couples; it can be friends, fathers/sons, mothers/daughters, etc. I know of a mother and daughter who took it together. The daughter dropped the bike in "the box", and the mother upon seeing this literally jumped off her bike and ran over to her daughter. So now the mother's bike is ghost-riding down the range all the way to the other side. Oh how I wish I had that on video.

The main point is that these classes are intense even for experienced riders. So being able to focus only on what you're doing is important. Good luck, and have fun!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #25
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Often the stress is on the woman. As an instructor you'll see the wife often get in real trouble because they feel they're disappointing their partner. It's tough. I've seen some screwy stuff and there's been times I've wanted to tell the husband to leave so his wife has a better shot.
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #26
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crash View Post
Often the stress is on the woman. As an instructor you'll see the wife often get in real trouble because they feel they're disappointing their partner. It's tough. I've seen some screwy stuff and there's been times I've wanted to tell the husband to leave so his wife has a better shot.
This ^^^^ is exactly why, when my wife expressed interest in learning to ride, we signed her up for the BRC with no involvement from me, what so ever. Just as has been described above, the only things that I went over with her were the basic controls.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #27
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
That's our class too... how do we identify your wife? Just walk in and yell, "HEY! Who's High Country Herb's wife?"
Yeah, that would do it! She is almost 6 ft tall, with auburn hair almost down to her butt. (Back off guys, she'll kick yer butt ) You can recognize her steampunk helmet with all of the bronze gears painted on it.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #28
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Yeah, that would do it! She is almost 6 ft tall, with auburn hair almost down to her butt. (Back off guys, she'll kick yer butt ) You can recognize her steampunk helmet with all of the bronze gears painted on it.
Bad form old chap, not providing pics of hair, or butt.............
Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #29
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
This ^^^^ is exactly why, when my wife expressed interest in learning to ride, we signed her up for the BRC with no involvement from me, what so ever.
Very smart move. In fact, I don't know any instructors... er, RiderCoaches who have tried to train their own wives. They always sign them up for a class and have them learn from other coaches. My wife included. Relationship baggage has no place in learning to ride a motorcycle.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Want to get into your wife's head and mess with her? Show up at her Basic Course with a lawn chair and a cooler...sit down and watch. Another time Dad showed up and videotaped Jr. the entire first day...

Capt Crash screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 08:18 AM
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote