Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #31
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crash View Post
Want to get into your wife's head and mess with her? Show up at her Basic Course with a lawn chair and a cooler...sit down and watch. Another time Dad showed up and videotaped Jr. the entire first day...
Somehow I don't think that would go over well with my wife or the instructors...
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #32
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
-As said by others, let the coaches coach. Listen to them. Remember, you are paying them for their knowledge. Utilize that opportunity.

-At my class we had one guy bring his own helmet. That sounds good, but since you must wear eye protection at all times, his only eye protection that he had was his shield on his full face helmet. He was sweating like crazy all day! The rest of us were much more comfortable in the 3/4 helmets they loaned out. This might be the only time I would prefer a 3/4 lid.

-Cheer on your other classmates as they complete exercises. Our class ended up being very friendly towards each other even though we didn't know one another at the start.

-Don't swing wide on the loops so that you can get up more speed. The coaches will firmly remind you of the course speed limit
Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #33
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
...At my class we had one guy bring his own helmet. That sounds good, but since you must wear eye protection at all times, his only eye protection that he had was his shield on his full face helmet. He was sweating like crazy all day! The rest of us were much more comfortable in the 3/4 helmets they loaned out. This might be the only time I would prefer a 3/4 lid...

...The coaches will firmly remind you of the course speed limit
What is the course speed limit? My wife wants to bring her full face helmet (she wears glasses), but with temperatures approaching 90, and the need to hear the instructor, the 3/4 might be a more sensible choice.

If speed limits are 10 mph, a long sleeve t-shirt and 3/4 helmet would be fine. If they are 35 mph, a mesh riding jacket and full face would my preferred choice. Of course, she will make her own choice, as she always does.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #34
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post
--At my class we had one guy bring his own helmet. That sounds good, but since you must wear eye protection at all times, his only eye protection that he had was his shield on his full face helmet. He was sweating like crazy all day! The rest of us were much more comfortable in the 3/4 helmets they loaned out. This might be the only time I would prefer a 3/4 lid.
There is an interesting side effect of a student crashing in a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet on Saturday. That is- on Sunday, you will see a LOT of brand new full face helmets.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #35
dbg326
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I brought my own full-face and was able to ride with the shield open, using my prescription glasses as "eye protection." No illusions about what they'd actually do, but I didn't sweat quite as much. Bring LOTS of water/gatorade. Have fun with it, and try not to stress.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #36
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
There is an interesting side effect of a student crashing in a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet on Saturday. That is- on Sunday, you will see a LOT of brand new full face helmets.

Oh come on....road rash on a girls face is SEXAY!!!!
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #37
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Yeah, that would do it! She is almost 6 ft tall, with auburn hair almost down to her butt. (Back off guys, she'll kick yer butt ) You can recognize her steampunk helmet with all of the bronze gears painted on it.
Steampunk helmet?!!!! I'm already jealous. Can't wait to see that.

All this talk about couples taking the course seperately... It had never occurred to me for Hesaid and I not to do it together until the other day when he said, "Gee, Honey, I hadn't thought of it till now, but did you want to take the course with me?"

In one on one situations Hesaid can drive me batty and make me feel like I'm not living up to his expectations even when he's being all patient and wonderful with me. But in group situations we've always been a good match for teaching/learning together.

I don't anticipate his presence being a detriment in the course, but if I feel like he's mocking me I'll just have to kick his butt.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #38
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
All this talk about couples taking the course seperately... It had never occurred to me for Hesaid and I not to do it together until the other day when he said, "Gee, Honey, I hadn't thought of it till now, but did you want to take the course with me?"

In one on one situations Hesaid can drive me batty and make me feel like I'm not living up to his expectations even when he's being all patient and wonderful with me. But in group situations we've always been a good match for teaching/learning together.

I don't anticipate his presence being a detriment in the course, but if I feel like he's mocking me I'll just have to kick his butt.
Don't worry about it. I've never seen it be a problem. I would never dream of telling a couple to take the course separately. That's crazy talk, imo.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #39
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,778
My GF and I took a BRC together. I had ridden for many years prior. It wasn't an issue for us. On the range, we each went off and did our own thing. We each learned a few things.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #40
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I've never seen it be a problem. I would never dream of telling a couple to take the course separately. That's crazy talk, imo.
Depends on the couple.

You haven't really had fun until you get the guy shouting riding tips to his ol' lady while riding around doing everything BUT what the exercise is about. Or, because a BEGINNER class is beneath his lordly skills, just stand on the sidelines and do the same.

Doesn't happen often, but it really sucks when it does.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #41
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Oh come on....road rash on a girls face is SEXAY!!!!
Your implication that the person crashing, or persons buying new helmets are female, is amusing.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #42
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Your implication that the person crashing, or persons buying new helmets are female, is amusing.
Well, I don't want to sound sexist or anything, but the tendency to see someone suffer some sort of accident or injury and then promptly take protective measures to ensure the same fate does not befall oneself does sound like something that the female brain excels at. Men tend to scoff and say things like "That's why you shouldn't fall down dumbass!"

MV
Hesaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #43
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

To all those starting their class tonight: have fun, and enjoy!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #44
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Hear Hear!

remember, we wouldn't be doing this stuff if it wasn't fun :)

Cheers
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #45
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Amen. Enjoy! Just relax and have fun.
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote