Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #61
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Definitely kidding. Even the ERC, now BRC II, doesn't get much faster than maybe 30 mph tops.
She thought he was serious, and there is plenty of room for them to acheive that with zero traffic. Maybe he has a dry sense of humor.

Since Shesaid wanted to see the steampunk helmet, here it is, the Bell RS-1:

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #62
Shesaid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
She thought he was serious, and there is plenty of room for them to acheive that with zero traffic. Maybe he has a dry sense of humor.

Since Shesaid wanted to see the steampunk helmet, here it is, the Bell RS-1:

THAT is an awesome helmet! Did Mrs. High Country do the art? Someday I'll paint mine too... but a blank canvas represents so many possibilities it's hard to decide what to do with it.

Our instructor is great, our classmates are.... nice. A tad more on the subdued side than I'd expected and less riding experience than I'd expected. The riding portion of the class will be interesting. If early and hot-- two things that make me far less fun to hang out with.

Yeah, the 65mph had to be a joke. Our instructor assured us that we're not going over 25.
Shesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #63
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesaid View Post
THAT is an awesome helmet! Did Mrs. High Country do the art? Someday I'll paint mine too... but a blank canvas represents so many possibilities it's hard to decide what to do with it.
No, it came that way. Bell has a bunch of cool designs on the RS-1. If I hadn't been in the market for a dual sport helmet, I probably would have got one too.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #64
Hesaid OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Ok, halfway through, seems to be going well. We've both been recieving more praise than criticism, and only minor coaching corrections. A little disappointed in the bike selection, as there's nothing there that I fit ergronomically, but I can make do. My Rebel's transmission seems a little wonky as well, but we manage. Wish we'd taken the Wombat, but figure at this point it's better to finish on the bike I started on.

I can say that the airport is a very difficult location to have the class. At least for me. In addition to the constant stream of shiny airplanes taking off and landing, on the other side there are railroad tracks, which naturally, have trains on them. Both of these are interests of mine, and things I like to watch go by. It was never really a problem during the riding excercises, but during the talking portions I'm sure my head turned a time or two. Plus the time the helicopter came and danced across the sky. And when the big airport firetruck came and started hosing down our pad...

We're looking forward to tomorrow, but first, an early dinner and bed. 5.30 comes quickly, and by 11.00 it shows. While it was getting hot by the end of class, I think fatigue and hunger were our biggest enemies. At least we had a cooler with water and Gatorade so we stayed hydrated. Tomorrow, bananas as well.

High Country, how's your wife doing? My sister went by on the freeway, and snapped a pic of us.

It's a little hard to be certain, with the low resolution, but it's very likely that Shesaid is in the foreground, to the left of the tree, with her amazingly discounted two tone grey Olympia jacket on.

MV

Hesaid screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 06:23 PM Reason: Added pic
Hesaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #65
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

My wife is doing well. She was talking a smile a minute at lunch Saturday. The rider coach has chosen her as teacher's pet, and she was trying to decide if it was because she is the best student, or a danger to herself.

She says the coaches are very patient and knowledgable. One guy laid his bike down using too much rear brake in the corner (he managed to stay on his feet), and they stopped to review what went wrong. Embarrassing for the guy, but a valuable learning opportunity.

Bike selection was limited to standards and cruisers, no duel sports or sport bikes. Hers was a bit out of tune, stalling whenever she turned off the choke. Thank goodness for e-start.

Speaking of distractions; they were having autocross in the next parking lot over. We have a 68 Camaro we autocross, so it was tough for her to ignore them.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #66
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 630
I've been an MSF instructor for over 20 years, and some things I found:
  • Male or female, they all can fall down the same way.
  • Same for age groups, though a few "older" demographics may sway that a bit,
  • Speed is only about 20 to 25 for all exercises, and used to emphasize stability, shifting, and showing you can brake from a set speed and in 2nd gear,
  • Emphasis is more on stability and control techniques to build that stability,
  • No need to practice at all before class. Most MSF Coaches prefer students who don't "practice" themsleves into things we have to un-do,
  • Women follow instruction, for the most part, better than men,
  • Men come in with more attitude,
  • Dirt riding experience is always easily evident,
I've even had husband/wife teams in class, husband claims to ride for over 20 years, wife is a newbie. Wife does better than the husband through the exercises and skills test. Husbands say "but" a lot.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #67
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

The top student in my wife's class was a woman. She showed up on Saturday with her first bike; a Ducati 1098.

She got 100% on the written, and 100% on the riding test.

My wife missed 11 points, where 21 missed points are allowed. She was disappointed, but chalked it up to nervousness during the test since she did the same exercises just fine earlier in the day.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #68
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
The top student in my wife's class was a woman. She showed up on Saturday with her first bike; a Ducati 1098.

She got 100% on the written, and 100% on the riding test.

My wife missed 11 points, where 21 missed points are allowed. She was disappointed, but chalked it up to nervousness during the test since she did the same exercises just fine earlier in the day.
That's great Herb, good for her. And yes, a great deal of it is nervousness. We try so hard to get people to relax, it's not easy!

TO BE SURE IT'S CLEAR PLEASE NOTE: YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MISS 20 POINTS, NOT 21. 21 AND YOU'RE OUT. 20 AND YOU STILL PASS.

Sorry for the yelling. Just trying to make sure there's no misunderstandings, which lead to pissed off people... yelling the msf sucks! etc etc...

Cheers :)
AzItLies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #69
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by azitlies View Post
to be sure it's clear please note: You are allowed to miss 20 points, not 21. 21 and you're out. 20 and you still pass.
Unless you're in michigan.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #70
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
Unless you're in michigan.
Well my apologies if warranted. But, the MSF Skill Evaluation and Score Sheet, which are used by the MSF BRC's across the nation, state clearly, max points is 20, 21 is fail.

It may be a bit misleading, especially to a programmer (yeah, me) when they state (on the score sheet):

Success is = < 21

To a programmer that is interpreted as "equal to or less than" ... but that's not what they mean, what they mean to say by that is "equal to less than 21". Convoluted I agree.

If someone is doing something different, they are not following MSF procedures. And that would then be a State certification, not an MSF one, to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers
Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #71
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
If someone is doing something different, they are not following MSF procedures. And that would then be a State certification, not an MSF one, to the best of my knowledge.
It's still the MSF curriculum, and we still use the same skills test, but the State of Michigan thinks the suggested 20 points is too easy. In Michigan 15 is passing, 16 is not.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #72
AzItLies
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
It's still the MSF curriculum, and we still use the same skills test, but the State of Michigan thinks the suggested 20 points is too easy. In Michigan 15 is passing, 16 is not.
Oh! lol, I got ya. sorry.

Yes, many of the MSF things are suggested, glad to see Mich is making a bit more difficult. I agree personally.

It gets hairy when people are allowed to pass when their skillset may end up getting themselves hurt or worse. I've used Rider Coach discretion before, and I always try to err on the conservative side.

Cheers
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #73
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
What are the point values for each mistake in the BRC?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #74
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 417
+1. As RiderCoaches, we have some discretion when it comes to Rider Safety as to whether or not an individual completes a class, but in most cases those folks tend to eliminate themselves, one way or another. Nevertheless, sometimes we're amazed at who actually passes the riding skills exam...
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #75
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
What are the point values for each mistake in the BRC?
The point values vary, depending upon the criticality and difficulty of the skill being tested. For instance, single mistakes in the limited space maneuvers portion (U turns) count for the least number of points, while critical issues like crossing a line in the cornering skill are penalized more severely. However, MSF is even now getting ready to roll out a new set of BRC range training and testing curricula, which will make the skills exam more challenging. I've test-ridden a beta version of the new skills exam, and it should help in more thoroughly evaluating new riders and determining their suitability to pass the BRC.
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote