User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Cool2 Short spin to John Wayne's Quiet Man country

I did this spin a while back on a rare sunny day here.

It was my first spin out on my new (to me) bike.

I was like a child with his first lollipop or a boy after getting his first kiss from a girl, it was exciting, it was fun and it was intoxicating.

I didn't stop having left Donegal until getting to cong, county mayo, where The Quiet Man was filmed a lifetime ago.

Cong is very pretty place, and tourists do flock there in summertime.

There are old ruins here also, boring history stuff.

I ate plenty in the café next to the shop in the first picture then headed out of dodge. Next stop was to see Lough Corrib, lake of 365 islands !
You can see some of them in the background below.

gotta run, it's too dark to type right now and it's past my bedtime, ha ha ha
mka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

....So I continued round the roads of the lakes of Mayo and Galway, some barren places for sure, hard to figure how so many people lived off the land
for hundreds of years before the famine came.

The west of Ireland was heavily populated and you often see abandoned villages almost completely overgrown.

There are signs to everywhere and nobody much at the end of the road, it's weird !

some signs...

this area is borderline 'gaeltacht' - meaning irish language is spoken here, only pockets of such places exist round the country now

enough maudlin chat, there are some nice views...

great spots for fishing..

Even empty barrels of Guinness have their uses !

I met so few cars, motorbikes or even bicycles on these roads.

I headed north through the wilds of Mayo and towards the big town of Ballina.

Good roads and dry but for the showers.

Too soon Ballina was coming into view.

In town I got stuck in a traffic jam which lasted about 14 seconds as a tractor was reversing out into the street.

A rare beauty !

I'm not into fishing but by all accounts this river is a mecca. It's the river Moy which flows up through Ballina and great for salmon !

A church for the holy.

A church and bike.

Another pint and onwards !

Next stop was to be Yeat's country, Sligo.

I zipped along towards the big town of Sligo, some great twists and some crappy straight bits and on the bypass.

The bypass (roads which go around towns here to speed up traffic flow) actually goes through the town with loads of traffic lights !

As some would say - go figure !

Got through the town and wanted to stop in Drumcliffe where Mr Yeats, the poet, is buried. I think he was originally buried somewhere else (Paris ?)
and didn't like it so much there so he was moved here, a place he loved as a kid.

This is the church, where I think his uncle or relative used to preach, and he is buried next to it.

This is his grave and his epitaph is cool, I think he was on a bit of a downer when he conjured these lines up, it had something to do with a woman
(doesn't it always) and unrequited love. At least that is what we were taught.

I think he was an amazing writer and if you ever read 'The Stolen Child' it may move you.

Better still listen to it incorporated into a song by The Waterboys, on their album 'Fishermans Blues' they kept the name 'The Stolen Child'.

They used a local man to speak the verse through their music and it is genius.

It is about death, faeries, loss - it would draw a tear from a stone.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is a pic of Ben Bulben in the distance. It is a flat table top hill/mountain that kind of dominates the surrounding area.

I was watching a thing on tv the other night about how in the whole world there are only 20 of a particular plant which grow in the crevices near the top.
They are some kind of leftover alpine flowering plant which have distant relatives in Iceland !

This guy went over the side on ropes on a bloody awful wet windy day to check the numbers and he near wet himself cos he found 5 more, so now there
are 25. Amazing if you think about it. It was amazing they found them in the first place cos you would have to be up there hanging from ropes looking around
and on top of that be smart enough to know what the hell you were looking at. So hats off to you boys !

Another hill viewed from Drumcliffe.

And another, I must have had mountains on the brain by then. It was time for a drink !

This was some poetry that got out of hand !

And finally, my trusty steed.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #4
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,073
Beautiful country. Hope to get there someday.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote