User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Two Minutes of Terror

I had a rear tire blow out on me this morning on my way from a meeting to work- was riding my wr250 with knobbies. Not my first time with a flat, but have never had one blow out before. I was riding along at 55 on pavement with everything feeling normal when all of a sudden I felt the rear end coming around-
I was able to straighten it out and keep it upright fortunately, but as I am sitting there trying to keep it upright and straight I was wondering what would happen if I hit the brakes- my sense was that I would lose what control I had of the bike and that it would go down. I was at the top of a downhill when it happened so what I did was let off the gas and focused on keeping the bike upright while thinking "I'd really like to get off this ride NOW!" Eventually I got to the bottom of the hill and the bike finally slowed enough so I could pull in the clutch and get over to the side of the road and stop.

My husband and I have already done a post mortem on this- just because the tires were fine when I left the house does not mean they were fine when I left the meeting. Also have discussed the pros and cons of rim locks. He came and fetched the bike with the truck and changed the tire- the tube had completely come out of the tire and was so shredded he was unable to tell what the cause of the blowout was.
My question is- if I had braked would I have lost control of the bike and gone down or would it have merely transformed my 2 minutes of terror into twenty seconds of terror?
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Well handled, regardless of any discussion we may end up having about "proper" technique. You did not crash, so you did handle it, very successfully. Bravo to you, for it's not an easy one.

I would have used the front brake myself. Not standing it up on its nose, but to bring it down to a stop as quickly as I safely could. Easy to lose control of this, especially if done hard or with the rear tire coming around. That's not the time for it.

Not that I'm averse to hitting the brakes hard. I'm of the general opinion that if I'm destined to crash, I prefer to do it at as slow a speed as I can get. It hurts less, and sometimes I'm lucky and can regain control when the speed is reduced. If the bike were to be solidly coming around, and I'm going to be going backwards until I fall down, I would use the brakes hard to bring down the speed as much as I could, before going down.

Neither thing I offered is officially correct, or wrong. They can work, but not always. Regardless, what you did worked. Again, well done.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
W
Neither thing I offered is officially correct,
Actually, I think that "Brake on the wheel that's not flat" is pretty well accepted as the right thing to do.
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeyz View Post
actually, i think that "brake on the wheel that's not flat" is pretty well accepted as the right thing to do.
+1
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #5
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Actually, I think that "Brake on the wheel that's not flat" is pretty well accepted as the right thing to do.
That is what I was taught, but have not had to try out.
Flashmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Yup. Brake on the front. It would have help transfer the weight to the front tire so it would hopefully let the rear stop swinging around. But in the scenario just holding on and enjoying the ride works too.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
I didn't have a rear blow out, but it was a sudden flat and I felt like I was on ice. Like you, I let it coast/ gradually slow until 20mph or so, then I used the front brake.
My theory/thinking was to let the rear "drag" so the bike remained stable. Grabbing front brake at 70mph with a squishy rear sounded like a recipe for swapping ends.
Also, I had the room to let it roll and I was still upright. My opinion is that bikes crash from rider input, so I chose to let the bike stop itself.
Was that correct? For me, at that time, it worked, so yes.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
fltplan
Just toolin around

Oddometer: 124
Using the front brake probably would've been fine, but you would still be upsetting the balance of what was already working for you. Could've been worse or better, who knows if you were at the edge of the situation and using the front break could've been the deal breaker?

What was the thoughts about rimlocks? Did you not have them on the back? I know some people don't use them because of balancing the wheel, but I've done a lot of riding on flats with rim locks and had no issues with the wheel coming off.
fltplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Long ago, when i was young and bullet proof.
i had a front blow out at 60mph.
It spread out and rubbed the fender and forks.
I have never come to a stop, that hard on anything else!.
Down shifted hard and kept it up,till about 10 mph,
then floped over in the weeds on the sholder.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 AM   #10
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Quote:
Well handled, regardless of any discussion we may end up having about "proper" technique. You did not crash, so you did handle it, very successfully. Bravo to you, for it's not an easy one.

I would have used the front brake myself. Not standing it up on its nose, but to bring it down to a stop as quickly as I safely could. Easy to lose control of this, especially if done hard or with the rear tire coming around. That's not the time for it.

Not that I'm averse to hitting the brakes hard. I'm of the general opinion that if I'm destined to crash, I prefer to do it at as slow a speed as I can get. It hurts less, and sometimes I'm lucky and can regain control when the speed is reduced. If the bike were to be solidly coming around, and I'm going to be going backwards until I fall down, I would use the brakes hard to bring down the speed as much as I could, before going down.

Neither thing I offered is officially correct, or wrong. They can work, but not always. Regardless, what you did worked. Again, well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
I didn't have a rear blow out, but it was a sudden flat and I felt like I was on ice. Like you, I let it coast/ gradually slow until 20mph or so, then I used the front brake.
My theory/thinking was to let the rear "drag" so the bike remained stable. Grabbing front brake at 70mph with a squishy rear sounded like a recipe for swapping ends.
Also, I had the room to let it roll and I was still upright. My opinion is that bikes crash from rider input, so I chose to let the bike stop itself.
Was that correct? For me, at that time, it worked, so yes.
It sounds like the consensus is that the front brake would have been ok. However, my thoughts at the time, other than oh sh*t, were along the lines of SilkMoneyLove- that it was best to let the bike stop itself- and plus I was not sure what the best way to apply the brakes was. I was on a straightaway and traffic was light without any hazards to worry about- I think if I was headed into a curve or something was in my path, then braking would have been the wiser thing to do. Hopefully this never happens again, but if it does at least I will be a little more knowledgeable on using the brakes.

I misunderstood my husband when I quoted him in the original post- the tube was not shredded, just completely out of the tire and wrapped around it. The tube actually looks pretty good considering- 1 half-inch slit in it across from the valve stem but hard telling whether this was the cause of or a result of the blowout.
tent space
Old 05-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltplan View Post
Using the front brake probably would've been fine, but you would still be upsetting the balance of what was already working for you. Could've been worse or better, who knows if you were at the edge of the situation and using the front break could've been the deal breaker?

What was the thoughts about rimlocks? Did you not have them on the back? I know some people don't use them because of balancing the wheel, but I've done a lot of riding on flats with rim locks and had no issues with the wheel coming off.
The cons were balance issues and increased difficulty in mounting the tires- nothing insurmountable by any means. It sounds like the pro of keeping the tire on way outweighs the cons.

My husbands money is that I was riding on a flat when I left the meeting and that was the cause of the blowout- maybe it was, and I will now be sure to check the tires everytime before I get on, however, the bike felt perfectly fine up to the point it blew out.....
tent space
Old 05-08-2013, 03:49 AM   #12
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
It sounds like the consensus is that the front brake would have been ok. However, my thoughts at the time, other than oh sh*t, were along the lines of SilkMoneyLove- that it was best to let the bike stop itself- and plus I was not sure what the best way to apply the brakes was. I was on a straightaway and traffic was light without any hazards to worry about- I think if I was headed into a curve or something was in my path, then braking would have been the wiser thing to do. Hopefully this never happens again, but if it does at least I will be a little more knowledgeable on using the brakes.
IMO, front braking *could* have been ok. Only could have been. It's real easy to have a sliding rear end snap right around a braking front tire this way. What you did by just basically coasting it down took longer, but also increased your ability to keep the rear end out back. Hitting the front brake and having the rear wheel pass you is not fun, and is not a good way to stay upright.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #13
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Quote:
IMO, front braking *could* have been ok. Only could have been. It's real easy to have a sliding rear end snap right around a braking front tire this way. What you did by just basically coasting it down took longer, but also increased your ability to keep the rear end out back. Hitting the front brake and having the rear wheel pass you is not fun, and is not a good way to stay upright.
The more I am thinking about it, with the same conditions I would probably do the same thing as I did yesterday- my instincts were "Do not touch the brakes, however much you want to"- However, with a different circumstance- car braking/stopped/pulling out in front of me, tight curve coming up, deer on side of road, etc, then the braking and slowing quickly would have been the better option even if the bike went down as opposed to hitting the hazard.

Well, time to go get back on the pony and head to work.
tent space
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #14
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,750
Yep! Load the front tire and unload rear would of been perfectly fine. But you DID NOT LAY HER DOWN so whatever you did in the heat of the moment obviously worked for you.

What kind of tube were you running? Normal, Heavy Duty? I would find it hard to believe that riding a bike that light and a moderate speed would cause enough heat to make your tube fail. But the world is an imperfect place and stuff just breaks sometimes.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:01 AM   #15
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
Yep! Load the front tire and unload rear would of been perfectly fine. But you DID NOT LAY HER DOWN so whatever you did in the heat of the moment obviously worked for you.

What kind of tube were you running? Normal, Heavy Duty? I would find it hard to believe that riding a bike that light and a moderate speed would cause enough heat to make your tube fail. But the world is an imperfect place and stuff just breaks sometimes.
The tube did not fail.

Once I got back on the bike yesterday and it was significantly taller and handled like crap on the pavement, I realized my husband was right, the tire was flat prior to the blowout- so I take full responsibility- my failure of basic MSF 101 to check tires before EVERY ride

The worst part is we are just getting back into riding season and this was my 3rd ride on the bike- rode to work twice last week and ignored the fact that I am short and not getting taller, nor is the bike getting shorter- I should NEVER be able to flat foot it (even if the knobs are starting to wear)- STUPID ME! I assumed my husband had checked the tires, but it is not his responsibility, it is my bike, my responsibility.

The only good thing that may have come out of this is that my boss came along behind me and drove me into work- he is a CRAZY driver- very scary- he actually drove really well that morning after he rescued me- he had been talking about getting a bike a couple of years ago and I talked him into the MSF course- the instructor told him that if he ever did ride on the rode he would be killed in a short period of time due to his inability to not multitask and concentrate on one thing at a time and that seemed to put him off of getting a bike- this spring he started talking about getting a bike again so hopefully this will put that right out of his head.

Needless to say, from here on I will be checking the tires EVERY ride- but hard lesson learned for sure.
tent space