Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #31
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
Vet Body on the back of the truck and it looked like he had a student with him in front- so probably he wouldn't have been much help anyway.
We are about 15 minutes from Newport.
"Vet Body"

We lived in Bangor and Hampden when I was a kid. Bangor when our house out near Beech Hill Pond in Otis was being built and Hampden for a bit,

A-Yuh. It was wicked good, I tell ya.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
i had a front flat about 10 years ago with my ex-girlfriend on the back (). we were on an interstate.

at first i thought she was leaning really hard to one side, so i was working against that. i suppose that was the tire schmooshing off the rim. i had started taking an exit to check things out when the rim hit the pavement and all hell broke loose. the bike immediately went down, i was sliding on my hands and knees and the gf was on my back.

we had just enough gear so that we were ok... but not my knees. the jeans were useless. my knees were de-skinned (thankfully not de-boned) and the next month was horrible showers, terrible stairs, painful walking and awful sleep.

i quit riding after that, only to get another bike a couple years ago. now i'm determined to always have gear that will protect me as much as possible.

dummies who don't do ATGATT have no idea what sliding 200 feet on pavement will do to them. it ain't pretty, and it's a whole mountain of sugarcoating to call it "road rash."

btw, after the cops and the fire trucks, the ambulance finally showed up. they told me they don't usually rush to motorcycle accidents because the rider is usually dead. they were surprised to see me alive. can you believe that sh*t?
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #33
LisaS OP
Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken View Post
"Vet Body"

We lived in Bangor and Hampden when I was a kid. Bangor when our house out near Beech Hill Pond in Otis was being built and Hampden for a bit,

A-Yuh. It was wicked good, I tell ya.
We are about half an hour from Bangor- we try to avoid it as much as possible- it has changed a lot over the past 10-15 years- and definitely not for the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpua View Post
i had a front flat about 10 years ago with my ex-girlfriend on the back (). we were on an interstate.

at first i thought she was leaning really hard to one side, so i was working against that. i suppose that was the tire schmooshing off the rim. i had started taking an exit to check things out when the rim hit the pavement and all hell broke loose. the bike immediately went down, i was sliding on my hands and knees and the gf was on my back.

we had just enough gear so that we were ok... but not my knees. the jeans were useless. my knees were de-skinned (thankfully not de-boned) and the next month was horrible showers, terrible stairs, painful walking and awful sleep.

i quit riding after that, only to get another bike a couple years ago. now i'm determined to always have gear that will protect me as much as possible.

dummies who don't do ATGATT have no idea what sliding 200 feet on pavement will do to them. it ain't pretty, and it's a whole mountain of sugarcoating to call it "road rash."

btw, after the cops and the fire trucks, the ambulance finally showed up. they told me they don't usually rush to motorcycle accidents because the rider is usually dead. they were surprised to see me alive. can you believe that sh*t?
Glad to hear you were both ok!!

We are always ATGATT- so glad I did not need to test it out though! My husband came close to testing his last year around this time- we were riding home from the Whitehorse Gear open house when a deer jumped across his front fender- He ended up taking an off road excursion on his WeeStrom- fortunately, he was able to keep it upright and only ended up with a bent rim &flat on the rear.

(note: large rocks, while making for an interesting pic, are not very effective at straightening bent rims- hammer is advised)

Obviously the gear isn't going to protect you 100%- a friend of ours lost a son who was in full gear when he veered into the side of a pick up truck- but we feel it at least puts the odds more in your favor for having less severe injuries.

Not just for safety though, also for comfort- I always wonder when I am riding on a cold morning how the folks in jeans with no gloves or helmet manage to avoid frost bite and hypothermia. Also I have had road debris and large bugs ping loudly off my full face helmet that definitely would have hurt had they made contact with my skin- guess I am just a wuss
tent space
LisaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #34
vorg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
First off I am glad your alright. I have had a couple rear blow outs back in my hooligan days, both at relatively low speeds. Later in life a front blow out on a 700 pound Harley. That one was memorable... I still feel my dirt riding experience is the only thing that kept the bike upright.

You did good... let off the power pull the clutch and roll it out.

Secondly, are we going to ride this year or what ? Next weekend is booked, but let Jerry know I am waiting for the word.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #35
Harpua
formerly josdavlar

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorg View Post
I still feel my dirt riding experience is the only thing that kept the bike upright.
i came late to the dirt party, but man do i agree with this now.
Harpua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:40 AM   #36
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
my knees were de-skinned (thankfully not de-boned) and the next month was horrible showers, terrible stairs, painful walking and awful sleep.

Thank you for writing this part in particular - I've become a bit lazy about wearing my riding pants for 'short' trips...not any more.