User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2002, 11:07 PM   #1
RockyRaccoon OP
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 61,282
Cool2 What is Vendor Forum?

The motorcycling experience is aided and abetted by vendors -- craftsmen and corporate titans and everything in between. Today, because of the internet, we have the opportunity to enhance our experience by using one of the most powerful information tools ever imagined to share information about the vendors who help make our rides a blessing or a curse.

We hope that unknown products of utter genius will be plucked from obscurity and revealed to Advriders here, that noble technicians and mechanics who solve our problems or go the extra mile to get us back on the road will receive well-earned recognition, and, conversely, that the bastards who cheat us, screw up our bikes out of gross negligence and otherwise make our rides more dangerous or frustrating will be exposed and driven to more suitable professions, like shoveling coal in the furnaces of hell.

Unlike the Equipment Forum, the Vendor Forum welcomes helpful, intelligent, insightful submissions from vendors who want to update or introduce their products to Advriders. This is a discussion forum where vendors who post will be expected to discuss their products and answer questions.But be warned, spamming* will not be tolerated; this is not a place to post advertisements or the latest $19.99 special. It is a place to inform and discuss, not advertise and promote. I realize that the distinction can be subtle at times, but I think most people "get it" most of the time.

This is a somewhat new concept for Advrider, and we will be walking a fine line that reflects our respect for the Advrider community and our recognition that vendors are an important part of the motorcycling experience. No doubt our MO will evolve as experience (and Baldy) dictates.

Welcome.

* For the purposes of this forum, spamming will be defined as anything the moderators consider to be spamming.

RockyRaccoon screwed with this post 12-08-2002 at 12:24 PM
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 11:17 PM   #2
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,765
Genius.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 11:23 PM   #3
RockyRaccoon OP

Laugh Re: Re: What is Vendor Forum?

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak
I hereby bequeath to you my official ADVrider spam citation book.
Spam: I know it when I see it, and that's definitely it.

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
Old 11-03-2002, 11:59 PM   #4
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Yeah baby, that's what I'm talkin' about...let's rock.

I'd also like to congratulate our two newest modulators on their recent promotions: Kurt and BMW Rider.

fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 04:45 AM   #5
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,725
Quote:
Originally posted by fish
Yeah baby, that's what I'm talkin' about...let's rock.

I'd also like to congratulate our two newest modulators on their recent promotions: Kurt and BMW Rider.

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 05:03 AM   #6
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,952
Re: What is Vendor Forum?

Kurt put it perfectly.
This is something new and different for us and it should be fun ... barring whopping lawsuits, of course.
If there's a motorcycle on the market that has a bigger aftermarket than the R11XXGs, I'm not sure what it would be. In fact, all the adventure tourers have oodles of goodies for carrying stuff, seeing where you're going, changing the ergos, getting the bike dirty, cleaning it up, making it more road-worthy or better for off road. In other words, there are a kazillion things that can be made for the bikes featured on this board - and others, for that matter - and here's a good place to get a leg up, get your product out into the world, answer questions about it (and, oh, there will be questions) and maybe take the first step in becoming the next Bill Gates. Or the first "Insert Name Here" who can afford his own island just for adventure riding.
But, as Kurt said, don't spam us. * We'll not only boot your product into the far nether-regions of the known universe, we'll send Guido to have a little "talk" with ya, if ya know what we mean ...
So have at it. This is a great country with a great free-market system. If you have a developed product that's of high quality and fits the needs of the ADVriders on this board, by all means let us know about it.
That's what we're here for.
People helping people, baby.

* For the purposes of this forum, spamming will be defined as anything the moderators consider to be spamming.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:56 AM   #7
fish
Banned

So playing the devil's advocate here for a moment, we have given certain vendors shit about spamming the bike forums. Would those posts be considered spam here in the vendor forum? [Note: The names and details have been changed to protect the guilty ]

Quote:
SpamBomb Inflator
Fellow GS'ers:

We've come out with a miniature 12 volt tire inflator that fills flats or raises off-road pressures to highway pressures when you hit the tarmac.

Platinum plated unobtanium case, locking air chuck, on/off switch, 40'+ electrical lead, BMW-friendly male plug, mink storage pouch, GPS interface. $2750

You can see it on our website: www.spambombproducts.com

Igor
Mr. SpamBomb

PS. Sorry for the infomercial, but I thought it noteworthy enuf to share with fellow riders.
or not?
Old 11-04-2002, 10:28 AM   #8
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by fish
or not?
Pro'ly not Spam in my book, Fish.
They've got a web site.
They've got a product.
Now, if you want to pay $2,750 for a tire inflator, that's your problem.

BTW ... is this some kinda test?
Old 11-04-2002, 10:44 AM   #9
fish
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW Rider
Pro'ly not Spam in my book, Fish.
They've got a web site.
They've got a product.
Now, if you want to pay $2,750 for a tire inflator, that's your problem.

BTW ... is this some kinda test?
Yup. Just trying to provide a little guidance to vendors who want to post but aren't sure what's acceptable.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:19 AM   #10
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Re: Re: What is Vendor Forum?

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorbak
I don't think you should limit this forum to vendors with developed products. I think it should allow space for enthusiasts that are thinking about, or are already in the process of, developing new products of potential interest to ADVriders. What do you think?
I'm in agreement, 'Bak.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:25 AM   #11
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,322
Is this forum primarily for vendors? If I have a product review I'm guessing it should still go in equipment, but if I have a vendor review it would go here. Si?

-BS

boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 11:27 AM   #12
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Si.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:39 AM   #13
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
Great,,,i think is Great...

i do have a few questions..do the treads all ready start it need to be "MOVE"to this new one????
the vendor,,AKA ME ...do i need to start the new tread??
,,or can be... VIA a happy costumer(submite by somebody different that the company...) ???
or just any way you want????..

will be great to have comparacions,,,like a "shock show down"in bettwen ohshit,and fox,,and all the brands.with all there tecnical support( you can even invite them to post),,not "gestimations" from people..just factual info(you will hope)

a more educated costumer is always a better costumer,,at least in my opinion...
Old 11-04-2002, 12:17 PM   #14
RockyRaccoon OP

Re: Great,,,i think is Great...

Quote:
Originally posted by ricardo kuhn
i do have a few questions..do the treads all ready start it need to be "MOVE"to this new one????
We may move some as appropriate

Quote:
the vendor,,AKA ME ...do i need to start the new tread??
,,or can be... VIA a happy costumer(submite by somebody different that the company...) ???
or just any way you want????..
Yes

Quote:
will be great to have comparacions,,,like a "shock show down"in bettwen ohshit,and fox,,and all the brands.with all there tecnical support( you can even invite them to post),,not "gestimations" from people..just factual info(you will hope)
Ewww baaaby! That would be the shit.

Quote:
a more educated costumer is always a better costumer,,at least in my opinion...

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
Old 11-04-2002, 12:36 PM   #15
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,765
I'm curious to see what kind of action this forum gets. I wonder if the only vendors to participate will be those who could use the free exposure? If so, that would leave out medium and large size companies from whom we buy most of our products (e.g. Riderwarehouse, Touratech, Sargent, etc.) I also wonder if companies will be eager to get into a potentially rowdy discussion with an unhappy customer. They might see it as sort of a no-win for them.

If the above is true, what does that leave? Small companies which want to get the word out. Folks with gripes about vendors. And folks singing the praises of vendors. And I wonder if that will generate much traffic.

Obviously, lots of very intelligent folks here think otherwise, or the forum wouldn't have been created.

And the forum has the potential to be a valuable resource for people looking to make a purchase, even if the vast majority of the content is supplied by customers, not vendors.

Just my mental rambling. Welcome to moderators Kurt and BMW Rider.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote