ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
knobbyjoe OP
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 526
2013 990 fuel maps comparison with earlier models

I rode the 2013 Baja, the last 990 edition. The throttle performed with no snatch or surging.

Assuming that the engine and ECU is the same as the earlier models the snatch fix might be in the examination of the 2013 map.

Has anyone compared the 2013 map to the earlier maps?

If so do you see any changes that might be transferable to the earlier 990 for a throttle snatch cure?

I'm scheduled to have my 2008 dyno-tuned and remapped in two weeks and just looking for more personal understanding.
knobbyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 546
I suspect that some (most?) of the improvement was made with the different cam profiles and correspondingly different ignition maps.

I think that the above had a much greater impact than the different fueling maps.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
knobbyjoe OP
knobbyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
I suspect that some (most?) of the improvement was made with the different cam profiles and correspondingly different ignition maps.

I think that the above had a much greater impact than the different fueling maps.
Thanks Joe, New cams, forgot about that. Guess the ECU might be a total reconfigure too.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 626
anyone had issues loading new maps on the 2013 even though it isn't listed as a support model on TuneECU page?

ben
Old 10-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,757
Cams are all the same from 2008 to 2013 according to the parts fische. I checked the 2008, S, and standard, and the 2010R, and 2013 Baja. All the same.
The standard I test rode a couple of years ago at the bike show was smooth and non-snatchy. Bone stock and low to the ground. (stepping off my 1150 Adventure at the time).
My 2010R had a snatchy throttle but the G2 throttle tube seemed to fix it for the most part.
It is slowly running worse, but I suspect I'm nearing another valve check, oil change, TB and map check.
Plus I've done a bit of eating-dust riding of late. I think that is the likely culprit. I plan on putting in a pre-filter in place of that snorkel intake.
Mine has Akro cans and the Akro map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
knobbyjoe OP
knobbyjoe

Restating the question

For some reason I thought that the 2009 got the 990 super duke cams. I think I remember a HP increase from 08 to 09 and the cam was the primary reason. Don't know for sure though just recollection.

Still the 2013 990 runs like my 2008 990 should and has to be in the over all configuration. Just what KTM did to fix the snatch would be very good information.

That is the question I should have proposed as the OP.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
05magmn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
My 13 baja has the snatchy throttle. Wishing I could find a diffenate answer to it!
05magmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
knobbyjoe OP
knobbyjoe

O'man that is disappointing to hear.

The tuner I talked with that is doing the custom map for my 2008 told me that for some reason each individual KTM 990 needs a personal custom map. Looks like you are going to need that too.

Now I need to adjust the question again. Why is this so
Old 10-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Have you tried the G2 milder throttle cam/tube? Worked for my 2010.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/g2-ktm-lc8-6...-throttle-tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05magmn View Post
My 13 baja has the snatchy throttle. Wishing I could find a diffenate answer to it!
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
knobbyjoe OP
knobbyjoe

YEP,
G2 throttle cam, geared down one tooth up front, remapped with custom tuned map from tuneECU, valves in specs, new air filters (have uni instead of snorkel).

Worked great then the bike relearned bad habits and the throttle is as snatchy or more than before the attempted fixes.

Next move is to replace the fuel filters, tighten throttle cables and custom dyno tune map. I don't mind spending the money for a real fix... just want this gremlin gone. Frustrating how there is no official 1,2,3, fix procedures from KTM or anyone else.

One thing, fellow 990 owners have contacted me to help which I greatly appreciate. Just still doing the investigation research for my own understanding. Trying not to get into a rant, forgive me if it sounds that way. Just think something mechanical like a motorcycle engine should not be so mysterious.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

I'm hoping that mine getting snatchier is due to three things:
1. Valve clearances going a bit out of spec. Only a guess since the motor only has 18K on it.
2. Throttle body sync may be out a little thanks to being a while since the last time I messed with it.
3. Dirty OEM paper filter thanks to riding in dusty dirt conditions a good deal.

My plan is to service the valve clearances when that comes due. I will have checked the air filter on the way down to the valve clearance check. Then upon buttoning it all backup, I'll check the throttle body sync, add a pre-filter and possibly renew the paper filter if it seemed dirty. Mine is by no means snatchy all the time, just when cold at very low throttle settings. Once it warms a bit that goes away.
I did the fuel filter kit from CJ a while back, before the throttle began getting less smooth. The map I'm running is the KTM official Akro map. I had the dealer check that when I bought the bike new-to-me a year ago.
I stuck that G2 in there with that 400 cam and it cured the throttle instantly. I took the slack out of the throttle cables first thing. I didn't notice any difference with the OEM throttle tube.
I'm running the stock gearing with mine, 17/42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
YEP,
G2 throttle cam, geared down one tooth up front, remapped with custom tuned map from tuneECU, valves in specs, new air filters (have uni instead of snorkel).

Worked great then the bike relearned bad habits and the throttle is as snatchy or more than before the attempted fixes.

Next move is to replace the fuel filters, tighten throttle cables and custom dyno tune map. I don't mind spending the money for a real fix... just want this gremlin gone. Frustrating how there is no official 1,2,3, fix procedures from KTM or anyone else.

One thing, fellow 990 owners have contacted me to help which I greatly appreciate. Just still doing the investigation research for my own understanding. Trying not to get into a rant, forgive me if it sounds that way. Just think something mechanical like a motorcycle engine should not be so mysterious.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug