ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #31
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Oddometer: 86
Updates

I made it out to the garage today! I always feel like its so hard to make time to go out there and half the feat is just making the time to do so. Sundays have been the unofficial/ official garage day as of late. I've been helping Gino out with his bike since the snow started flying. Heres a couple of shots of Gino playing the game of "where does this plug into?" Does anyone know? I did. Gino has been throwing a lot of money at his bike. Luckily the money has formed into some nice rally style gas tanks.

Here is my bike as it sits. I had already torn it down to start some of the wiring. This thread has more pictures of my bike apart then together.

I figured that the best place to have the fuse box was right in the glove box so all the wires would be relatively easy to get to. Changing any burned out fuses would be a little difficult to get to in the glove box but no more difficult than anything else on the bike. It was time to get down to business after figuring out the wiring and finally having the LED's work properly.

I took all the ground wires that ran to the switches and wired them all together. Then I ran them to a waterproof connector on the left side of the bike.

Its important when setting up these connectors to make sure you get the rubber boot set right in the crimper. This is what will make the waterproof seal when you put the tabs in the connector.

I've found that wiring takes a very very long time. Its very tedious, at least for me. I want the bike to be easy to disassemble for future maintenance. So I'm trying to have any wires coming from the glove box to be wired to a connector. I'll be posting more pictures and wiring as I keep going through with this.

07 990 Adv fun. 07 Cbr track. 1981 xs650 project
1981 cb650 sentimental

x1valin1x screwed with this post 03-23-2014 at 07:02 PM
x1valin1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #32
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Update and final outcome

Gino was in the garage with me working on his tail lights since he was having complications with the output. I was able to help him figure out his problem since I had been doing all the wiring work on my bike. A tool I have found to be very helpful with any wiring work is using a test light. It just helps you find out which wires are positive and what is going on. We found out he had two of the wires crossed and it was making the brake light dimmer then it should have been.

I wanted to simplify some of the wiring on my bike. I had left all the wires long until I figured everything out and started splicing some of the wires together. I read somewhere that you shouldn't have your soldering points where the wires would be curving or bending. So I made sure to solder where the wires wouldn't be put under that much stress.

I tried to keep everything nice and clean looking after the wires were in place by placing the wires in a Nylon expandable braided sleeving.

I picked up this technique from another forum on here. Instead of using zip ties to keep the sleeving from unraveling, you take shrink-tube and put it over the wire to keep the sleeving in place.

One thing that I wanted to wire up to the bike was some aux lights that I had laying around, but where to mount them?

I had thought about trying to mount them in the Grill area of the bike. So I cut out some of the mesh. Later I found out I didn't take into account how much space was behind the mesh....the lights didn't fit. So eventually I'll have to go get some chicken-wire and make a new grill haha.

I decided to mount the lights where the stock turn signals go and relocated them. I used some smaller aftermarket ones and mounted them in the front under the grill area.

I remembered that I had ordered some resistors to fix the problem of the LED turn signals. Ever wonder why LED turn signals flash super fast on some motorcycles? Or in my case they would just turn on and stay solid. From what I understand the LED's dont draw enough current for the turn signal relay to work properly. So you have to wire in these resistors to make them flash at the correct speed.

The wires looked pretty organized and I was happy how everything was turning out. I had to cut out a little bit of the plastic cover on the right side of the bike for the wires to fit in nicely.

So here is the outcome.... everything put back on the bike. It was a beautiful day Thursday, so of course I wasn't able to finish it. It was cold and rainy on Friday so I just took it around the block. Got it out long enough to take a couple of pictures of it for this.

1981 cb650 sentimental
Old 04-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #33
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Nice looking bike
Old 04-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #34
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I love your colour choice looks great. I'll put it out there, I think your high mud guard was the wrong choice. It looks to short in length and takes from the over all finish. An orange guard from a 690 enduro might look better. Otherwise you've done a blinding job on it. Love the powder coated parts.

"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #35
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,435
Looks great. Love that last shot. You're ready to start on my bike!!

I have to agree that the high fender is getting lost in the mix. Either an orange on up high or possibly a low one but lows are a nightmare in mud.

Now if that dirtbag who sold you those panniers can find the missing parts you'll be all set. What a loser...

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #36
x1valin1x OP
tommy

High fender-

I think I'm going to paint it orange so it matches the top of the bike. I think the photographs make the fender look stranger than it looks in person.Seeing the bike in person I think the fender looks better. I never liked the long high fenders that some people do.

I wanted to put a high fender on the bike just incase I end up in some mud. I've seen the threads with the stories of peoples wheels getting gunked up.

I just ordered my last piece to the puzzle some avon distanzias. They come in next week.

1981 cb650 sentimental
Old 04-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #37
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,706
Nice motor, very talented.
DELTATANGO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #38
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Thinking of putting it up for sale

Thinking of getting rid of the bike...... never ride it. Its just taking up room in my brother in Laws garage upstate ny in syracuse.

1981 cb650 sentimental
Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #39
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1valin1x View Post
Thinking of getting rid of the bike...... never ride it. Its just taking up room in my brother in Laws garage upstate ny in syracuse.
I know two people who have been casually looking for a 950 ADV in NYC.

What are you riding now?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #40
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
I know two people who have been casually looking for a 950 ADV in NYC.

What are you riding now?
I don't ride anything right now. Except my bike(the one with pedals) I ride that everyday.

1981 cb650 sentimental
Old 08-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #41
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1valin1x View Post
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #42
B33P33
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
What high fender is it ? I fancy trying the look with both low and high installed
B33P33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #43
x1valin1x OP
tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33P33 View Post
What high fender is it ? I fancy trying the look with both low and high installed
Its just a supermoto fender from. Ebay I cut the duck bill off the end.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACERBIS-2040...5953d5&vxp=mtr

1981 cb650 sentimental