User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 457
TAT redemption -- You ride like a girl

It's been a long time coming , but I'm finally back on ADV. And I'm finally able to say I got my second chance at Hancock Pass in beautiful Colorado.

Now before I get ahead of myself and assume you all know who I am, I can do a small summary. That way we can get the ball rolling, and the good stuff will come later. (Video's, Photo's...me shooting death glares at a jeeper)

My name is Mav, and my favorite thing to do is to dirt nap. Okay, not really--but the dirt naps sure like me. I was a new dirt rider--still in my "street bike 4 life" stage.... Ahh, to be young again ( Can I say that at 23?). However, my Dad slowly started to turn me to the dirt side. And within about 4 months or so of riding time--we decided to do the TAT. Mind you..that 4 months was probably more riding time than most see in a year.

I'm not here to rewrite my TAT adventure so if you'd like further explanation you can feel free to check out 'Western TAT:12 dirt naps' http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502974

Basically what went down is I went totally n00b and roasted my clutch on Hancock, and was unable to do any more of the Colorado passes. All that planning down the drain...I was in the dumps to say the least.

I did some more riding after the TAT, nothing major. Three years later we went to Ouray! Which has been my favorite place in the world, even before riding. After a solid two years of 0 riding, I got back in the saddle and hit Engineer pass!! This was going to be my triumphant return!! Well it wen't that way for a solid 100 feet, and then I stalled--to a wheelie--to a recovery to a crash 5 feet later on.

Well this year, it is my triumphant return... And during my ten days in Colorado I do, most certainly, ride like a girl...

Some highlights:

Hancock and Tomichi-- is this thing on?
Ophir pass--I don't want to die on Ophir
Engineer-- ^%$#^$#^ You Jeep.
Corkscrew--It's cold
Imogene--I can't turn
Imogene reverse--I just got passed by a big KTM 2 up?!
Poughkeepsie Gulch--Are you for real?

MaverickChick screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 02:36 PM
MaverickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
dickosaurus
Seasoned Noob

Oddometer: 604
Cool! I remember enjoying your first ride report and I'm looking forward to this one. Especially Poughkeepsie Gulch.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Welcome back Mav! I remember that first ride report. We just got home from a week in Silverton doing some of the same passes. Looking forward to this tale. Subscribed!

John
Old 08-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,371
I remember the first report!
Glad you "got back on the horse", looking forward to the pics and report.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickosaurus View Post
Cool! I remember enjoying your first ride report and I'm looking forward to this one. Especially Poughkeepsie Gulch.
Hey! Oh man Poughkeepsie was an excellent test of skills. And of KTM's fans --which I'll touch more on later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Welcome back Mav! I remember that first ride report. We just got home from a week in Silverton doing some of the same passes. Looking forward to this tale. Subscribed!

John
John! Are you doing a RR for your silverton adventures?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I remember the first report!
Glad you "got back on the horse", looking forward to the pics and report.
Thanks Bob--it was rough 're-learning' some of the stuff, but most of it has come back.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickChick View Post
John! Are you doing a RR for your silverton adventures?
Yes my riding buddy Kevin is and I will add to it. Probably not nearly as entertaining as yours will be though

John
Old 08-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

The Voyage

Firstly, happy hump day--whoop whoop! Yeah that commercial has ruined me.
The Voyage

This is where most people would have epic pictures of the slab along to their most beloved dirt. However, this was a family vacation--so we had two extra riders and a 4 wheeler to transport.

My little sister was disappointed that she would not be joining us for epic passes, but she still didn't have an okay from the docs. Little sis had an epic high side which led to an extensive hospital stay. I'm just glad she is doing better , and was able to do some easy passes with my mom.

However, I love my FJ too--so it needed a glamour shot.

Here we are, all loaded up and ready to go! We had to pull over to switch some gear around. All of our stuff was getting rained on, what the heck! It never rains in Utah!

About 3 hours after the picture we were in Gunnison! The weather was already much cooler than what were we getting in Salt Lake, the trip was worth it!! We parked our trailer and found a decently priced hotel, I can't remember the exact name, but it had western in the title. Decently priced too at $90ish a night including tax.

Well heck, if we were going to do Hancock and Tomichi tomorrow--that only meant one thing.

Steak.

Nom nom. Once again I'm slacking and didn't get the name of the place, it's just off of the main drag-on a very touristy street. Really narrows it down doesn't it? Well this place that I don't know the name of, I'm recommending it to you

Back at base camp we prepped our bikes for our assault on the passes! Our 4 wheeler companions would not be joining us, as the paths are too rocky for their liking. They also wanted to get some quality shopping in. Maybe I should pick up a T shirt instead of venturing to a path where there could be self-esteem crushing damage? What if I couldn't make it, what if I wrecked my bike on the first day of our trip?

Before we went to bed we locked up our bikes with a very specific patented locking system. You can contact me if you'd like details on our very expensive and very sophisticated system.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Hancock and Tomichi

Rise and shine time! And man oh man was I stressed as ever. So to start my nice and relaxing vacation we're going to repeat the same pass that gave me the worst anxiety I've ever experienced?

I roasted my clutch around the sketchy corner of doom on the TAT. Once my dad was able to limp my bike to the summit, our group abandoned us. I then continued to eat it at least 5 times on the backside of Hancock going towards Pitkin. Oh, switchback? Crash. Stream crossing? Crash. The boss man has a bad back, and about 4 tips in he told me that he wasn't going to be able to keep picking up my bike. I sat down on a rock and fought back tears, I felt like a disappointment to my dad, and my group. On top of everything I felt like I was hurting my dad physically. That sadness soon turned to rage as groups of motorcycles would stop and ask if we were okay. My dad would always say "Yeah, we're fine, thanks". No...we were not okay--I was never going to get off this mountain.

Well, time to see if I could do a repeat! If anything, I felt like this year I had less skills due to being pretty rusty. My dad had faith in me, and that was my motivation for suiting up that day and hitting the road. Wait..I forgot my camel back. 1 mile into the trip and I was already forgetting stuff. Greeaat.

Back on the road again! Steaming off towards Pitkin. Wait...Pitkin...
I thought that is where we came down last time from Hancock. I tried to hail my dad via helmet communicator. “Yo, isn’t Pitkin where we came down last time?”, I got a yes. I then tried asking if I was remembering correctly that he’d said that was the sketchier side…

Going 65 on a dirt bike with knobbies isn't my idea of fun. Especially when I don't have one of those new fangled shield enduro helmets. My bill kept getting pushed up in the wind, and I wasn't able to hear a word my dad was saying. These communicators seemed to never work when you needed them!

This is a cool little store, where we stopped to get Gas, and a cool shirt. The boss man didn't remember this being here--but I swear we stopped on our TAT day. I managed through a Powerbar for breakfast and took a couple hits from my camel back. Then I over rotated the nozzle and it flew to the ground. No big deal I'll just bend down and pick it up, and by doing so manage to empty about 1/5th of all my water. Whoops!

I'm informed the plan is that we're going to check out the alpine tunnel, and then wander our way up to Hancock and Tomichi. Positive affirmation time, I WILL make it up Hancock, and I will not crash once. Maybe on Tomichi, but NOT on Hancock pass. Roger that, let's do this.

The ride up to the Alpine tunnel was non eventful. We did take a left branch of the road, which I was thankful for--that right one sure looked rocky. Walking around up there in MX boots was a riot for sure, combined with the altitude it was a minor task to be accomplished.

Cool! Let's get to riding!! Wait, where does the road go from here? Oh, down the road and up that right turn into the sketchy turn!? Screw positive affirmations, I knew that was going to be my first crash site.

With shaky arms and a stabilizer cranked almost all the way we hit the rocks. It for sure was rocky--but nothing like we'd been riding in American Fork. Up through rocks I go, spitting them out behind my back tire, a very wide smile etched across my face. I was schooling this pass, and I'd never felt better. That electrical sensation was crawling through my body, the air at such an altitude had never felt so thick.

Well, until I took a right hander--my long time nemesis. I ended up on a rock shelf after making the right hand switch back.

I normally always have problems if I stop in technical terrain. Especially if it involves a turn, and needing to execute a turn or else I'll go off a cliff. I managed and continued the climb upwards. Boss Mans voice buzzed in my helmet--40 seconds to the summit. 0 crashes and 40 second to the summit? Miraculously the rocks started to fade away behind me and we reached the sign. Oh my gosh...last time I was at this sign I was being left my TAT group, and my dad had been struggling to get Sunshine up sans clutch. Feeling elated my dad and I hop off the bike and do a super cheesy victory dance at the sign.

Where is this video? We found out earlier that not only had I spaced my camelback, I'd also spaced putting a memory card into the gopro. I know the dance was cheesy because we'd watched it once getting to Ouray. Somehow however, this video managed to run away in file transferring land.

Hopefully it comes back when we manage to get the video's edited. Crossies.

And then we were off again, only it seemed that we were going down the other side of Hancock. This ride wasn't over yet! Down wasn't so bad either, it seemed like stuff I'd done before. I had identified two or so spots that might prove a challenge to come up, including my infamous corner--but I was optimistic.

Arriving safely at the bottom, I took another couple hits from the camelback. This time making sure to not twist the valve off. The ascent was nothing blood pumping. Not to come off as one of those jaded pass baggers--but this stuff was easy

I rounded that corner and showed it who was boss. I will admit I did a three tapper on the shifter to make sure I was on first Up again at the summit!! No need to stop for another victory dance, the harder Tomichi pass loomed up ahead.

That sketchy right was now a sketchy left! I did a nice granny crawl with my left foot out for safe measure, couldn't be ruining my perfect run so far.

0 crashes total at the end of my Hancock side, I successfully made it up and down BOTH sides. We killed our bikes at the Tomichi turn off and discussed our next plan of attack.

Hopefully I can add more pictures, and a video to this dialog soon. We're still working on getting everything together.

Tomichi will be cont. in the next post.

MaverickChick screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 11:56 AM
Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Good for you on Hancock. I just realized I didn't give you a link to our ride report.

Colorado Silverton Rough Road Ride 2013

Just for reference here's a pic of Hancock when we rode it. Rocky as hell. Right after this is a leftie that's even worse.

John
Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Good for you on Hancock. I just realized I didn't give you a link to our ride report.

Colorado Silverton Rough Road Ride 2013

Just for reference here's a pic of Hancock when we rode it. Rocky as hell. Right after this is a leftie that's even worse.

John

Yup, looks familiar
Old 08-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Heading down Hancock and towards Tomichi, hopefully we'll have video of the descent of Tomichi--even though I'm not sure if we had the gopro's on. The ride up was non eventful, just more rocks, and a titch steeper. Dropping down the back side there were some steps downwards which the higher clearance of the KTM's really came in handy.

There were also two parents with, what I swear were 15 children hiking up the path. The kids were really excited to see us on motorcycles, I tried to return their frantic waves, but was only able to manage about half of them. So that being said the terrain was difficult, but I wouldn't necessarily say that it was hard.

Except when we went back up Tomichi the way we had just come. That was hard. In hindsight I appreciate my dads insistence on climbing both sides...keyword being hindsight. Haha!

We hit the horrendous slab back to Gunnison, and I'm famished! Off we went again to find my sister and mom. Boy do I love strolling into little shops in big heavy mx boots. We found them coming out of a restaurant called the Gunnisack. They had high recommendation, and they must have really liked their food because they came back inside with us. My sister was eyeballing a 1/2 pound snickerdoodle cookie. Our food was pretty good and at a decent price, so I'd recommend this one as well.

Let's be honest, mainly for that cookie we shared .

We also saw this sweet car! I really need to stop seeing cool stuff that I want to buy. It's really getting expensive!

Off to Ouray we go! This is where we will be adding new riders to our group, I might as well do a quick summary of all parties involved.

Maverickchick: KTM 525
Notar_520 : KTM 450
Kid Sister and Mom: 4 Wheeler
Micha with Trevor: XR250
Hagen (the beast) : YZ80

MaverickChick screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 08:38 PM
Old 08-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,115
Thumb

Hi MaverickChick. Congratulations on Hancock pass! I was wondering if having the KTM instead of the Suzuki made it easier for you to make it up? How do you think the two compare?
Old 08-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #13
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,371
Awesome video!
Glad you did it and we got to see you on top.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #14
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Inspiring attitude.

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #15
MaverickChick OP
I do my own stunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
Hi MaverickChick. Congratulations on Hancock pass! I was wondering if having the KTM instead of the Suzuki made it easier for you to make it up? How do you think the two compare?
Thank you! I honestly think the main advantage was having more experience in technical rocky sections with elevation changes. The KTM does offer me more suspension and clearance --all with still allowing me to flat foot the orange beast. I know touching the ground doesn't make you a better rider, but it for sure spiked my confidence. We did upgrade to tubliss tire system which allowed is to run 8-9psi in both front and back. A huge thumbs up for tubliss, it really hooked up.

...oh and the KTM has a stronger clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Awesome video!
Glad you did it and we got to see you on top.
Thank you! More Colorado action to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
Inspiring attitude.
Awe, shucks.