User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,726
DirtyDog does MotoGP

Managed to get a fun gig volunteering as a corner worker at the Red Bull Indianapolis GP. Figured I'd turn it into a solo ride.

Leaving tomorrow morning and have planned a fun route there and back for my first substantial vacation for several years... 8 whole days.

I'm riding my KLR650 approximately 850 miles there, working the race for 4 days, and riding an unknown number of miles back home.

Here's a preview of my planned route(s) from Broken Arrow, OK to Indianapolis.
I aim to milk this approach ride for all it's worth. Stopping to see anything interesting, roads less-traveled, etc.

Day 1 (lotsa fun miles on a stock seat)
Leg 1. BA to Bull Shoals Lake Ferry (259 mi, 6 hrs) MAP
Leg 2. Bull Shoals Lake Ferry to Big Spring Campground (150 mi, 2.75 hrs) MAP
Camp at Big Spring Campground on the Current River, MO.

Day 2
Leg 3. Big Spring, MO to Patoka Lake, IN. (334 mi, 7 hrs) MAP
Camp at Patoka Lake Campground, IN.

Day 3
Leg 4. Patoka Lake to Indy Speedway (142 mi, 3.5 hrs) MAP
Camp at workers' lot on site.

Day 4, 5, & 6
MotoGP

Day 7 & 8
Leg 5. Indy Speedway to home. Looking to ride some of the Mississippi River Trail between St. Louis and Hwy 412. We'll see what happens.

Here's a spotwalla map if you'd like to track my progress.
-DustyRags

DirtyDog screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 11:52 AM
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Of course, I'll be on an over-burdened beast. For the first time, I'm rocking the Newner Loop as my luggage option.

I managed to cram all the essentials inside it.

Yes, your eyes do not deceive you. It is a giant pair of cargo pants transformed into a Newner Loop.
You can read about the Newner Loop product development HERE in Jo Momma.
-DustyRags

DirtyDog screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 04:22 AM
Old 08-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,793
Woohoo!

Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,590
Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
In.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

DirtyDog does MotoGP

First official stop in Huntsville, AR. I paused briefly at Ft. Gibson Dam to mount my helmet camera. I wanted to get some footage of one of my favorite OK roads- Hwy 80 (Wildwood, as I call it). More on that later.

Took some of the Trail of Tears historic route through eastern OK and crossed into AR at Westville. This is the approximate location where the Transam Trail crosses from AR into OK.

Had a hooligan moment when passing through Fayetteville. Details later.

Started the day at approx 5:45am. Done about 150 miles so far. Going well.

I'll just give short updates throughout the day and full in some details when I quit for the day.
-DustyRags
Old 08-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #7
RollingRock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Does the Newner Loop come in size XR?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingRock View Post
Does the Newner Loop come in size XR?
Are those a pair of pants...
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
-Chris-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
2005 Honda CRF450X
Fly & Ride-2013, Meandering East - From Tulsa to the coast
-Chris- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM   #10
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

The dirt roads on this trip are few and short. Not on purpose, but that's just how the routing happened.

Not often do you get to ride a motorcycle across a lake. Currently standing on Peel Ferry about to cross Bull Shoals Lake and into Missouri.

-DustyRags
Old 08-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Well, today was a blast. Rode about 416 miles through three states and rarely saw a four lane road, never touched an interstate, and wished I had mounted barkbusters. I loosely stuck to the posted routes above, but the gps takes artistic license sometimes based on the enabled avoidances such as "avoid highways" and "use shortest route". Sometimes, it suggests the minutest of shortcuts, so you have to stay on your toes.

I managed the miles on the stock seat with as little monkey butt drama as possible with the help of 1) a nice route with lots of curves and 2) some newly fabbed highway pegs. I welded up these puppies last week in hopes that they would make the long days in the saddle easier. They are removable and mounting the tool tube to them was an afterthought.

Earlier today, I left you with a couple teasers, and now that I'm at camp, I'll take the time to explain.

Wildwood Road: Hwy 80 in OK between Ft. Gibson dam and Hulbert is an epic road and one of my favorites in the state. I was heading East to Indy, therefore I was obligated to include it in my route. I managed to get there right after sunrise. This was a plus and a minus. Plus- no traffic. Whatsoever. Minus- the rising sun was so blinding when riding East, that it felt sketchy at times. Still fun. Wildwood Road follows the East bank and topography of Ft. Gibson lake. At one point, if the lake were a foot high, the road would be under water. Oklahoma is known for shitty pavement and straight roads, so Wildwood is a gem IMHO. It's only a 15 min ride at a good clip though. The pavement is grippy but has many piles of pea gravel so you really have to be sharp. No center or edge lines either; just those little post-it note reflectors down the middle. When I get home, I'll post the video of this road. I took it slower than usual because I had a top heavy bike and my sub-conscious was screaming "HIGHWAY PEGS!!!" before every curve.

Hooligan in Fayetteville: Man, today was bizarro world for me in that the riding in Eastern OK was sweet and crapped out as soon as I crossed into AR. I know, this is hard to believe. Must have been a time and place phenomenon. AR welcomed me with the ripe stench of cow shit which permeated my helmet for at least an hour. But I digress... I hit Fayetteville at some sort of apparent rush hour. That, or everyone in that town is terrified of getting a speeding ticket. Seventeen MPH was the going rate in a 35 MPH zone. Eventually, I got stuck in about 6th place in a single-file cattle drive behind a pickup truck depositing construction cones. The cones were pushing my traffic lane onto the shoulder so the crew could grind the center line. The car immediately behind the cone truck was so timid, that the mere thought of passing the truck was out of the question. After several miles of this, half of our wagon train had bailed and I was now in 3rd place behind the timid car and a box truck. I'd had enough and decided to take my fate in my own hands. Then began the game.

I pulled up along side the box truck and flanked the timid car. The cone depositor and I locked eyes. Passing to the left of the cone truck would likely violate numerous Arkansas statutes, therefore was not considered viable. At a steady rate, the cones were evenly, and carefully placed by the man sitting on the tailgate as we each tried to size-up our opponent. I felt like Mario and he was Donkey Kong. Trying to gage the timing of the cones so I could make a break for freedom and save the princess. Do I zig, or do I zag? Subtle changes in the cone deposition are evident. When do I make a move? We lock eyes again, as I am committed to leave this herd of turtles once and for all. I'm right on his tail and next to the timid car. Watching for the twitch like an old west gunfighter, he finally makes his move and places a cone. Boom! I swerve left, pour on the gas, swerve right and leave all those suckers in my dust. Then I check my mirrors to see if any flashing lights were after me. None. Moving on...
-DustyRags
Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #12
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newner View Post
Are those a pair of pants...
Why... whatevuh do you mean suhh?
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #13
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

DirtyDog does MotoGP

While riding on the ferry, I was aching for a whiz and some lunch, but I managed to hold out until the town of West Plains, MO. I cruised the main strip hoping to find a local cafe (i.e. not a chain) as I usually do, but was finding none. The one place I saw was a BBQ joint, but it was out of business. I searched the gps and Kenny's Walleye and Catfish Shack popped up. That's a winner. Lunch was good. Can't get walleye at a restaurant in OK.

After lunch, the heat was on and my 3-season jacket had to go. Slathered on some SPF50 to keep the wife happy and rode in short sleeves and bare hands. This is rare. Plotted my route to camp and it took me on some wild ass roads through the Mark Twain National Forest.

Hit two dead ends, so I detoured.

My detour put me on the "Red Road to Wellness", or at least that's what the odd, handmade sign said. I don't know if I found wellness, but I certainly found fun in the manner of unused 2-track, face slappers, thorns and hopefully no ticks. I shot some helmet cam video of the worst 2-mile section and will post it later.

Eventually, of course, it led me to a locked gate at the highway. Oh well.

Made it to camp by 4:30pm and took a dip in the Current River. Spent some time recording underwater video of various fishes in the clear water. (I'm a fish biologist by trade.)

In search for a coke machine to add one of two ingredients to my rum and cokes, I toured the park and the nearby town. When they call this the Big Spring Campground, they are not shitting. Holy cow, I've never seen such a big spring. It spews so much water that when it meets the Current River, it damn near doubles the flow.

Lastly, this area is a wildlife refuge and is crawling with deer. I thought it was meaningful when I saw 8 deer grazing in an unused camp area and took these pics. Actually, they are all over this damn place. One of the deer pictured has a radio tracking collar.

-DustyRags
Old 08-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #14
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,796
Newner loop!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Awesome

Ozarks

My buddy used to live in Bentonville - Beaver Lake

Have Fun
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote