User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #166
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
6-30-13
Today Sasha drove me to Lake Baikal. We went up the eastern side of the lake. The road looks new except for two 4 mile sections that were dirt.That construction area will probably be new road very soon. They were working on it at 6pm on a Sunday. I think it's like Alaska. With a short summer, they work all hours. There were plenty of places to camp on the lake. And quite a few people were. Here are a few pictures I took.

On the way home we stopped at this church/religious community way out in the country.

While we were there, several members of his motorcycle club stopped there. They were on there way to Lake Baikal.

After leaving them, we picked up another club member on foot. He lead us to a storage garage area. It seemed to be a teenage biker club. There must have been 10 bikes in this garage. We picked up the one in the very back of the garage. I guess Sasha is going to repair it.No pictures of the mini motorcycle club. It was raining.

If my crankshaft isn't here tomorrow or Tuesday, I'm thinking about taking a bus to Ulanbaatar, Mongolia for a couple days. If the crankshaft comes while i'm gone, I can skip Ulanbaatar on the bike and save that time. If it's not here by then, it may be time to make another decision.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #167
moto_dmitriy
que?

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
If my crankshaft isn't here tomorrow or Tuesday, I'm thinking about taking a bus to Ulanbaatar, Mongolia for a couple days. If the crankshaft comes while i'm gone, I can skip Ulanbaatar on the bike and save that time. If it's not here by then, it may be time to make another decision.
PM'd you.
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #168
blackcaps
Do it alone

Oddometer: 98
Passed Ulan Ude and I'm now in Khabarovsk. Will visit Opposit Ulan Ude on de way back. Can only advise you to organise your doings yourself. Take the train, bus or hitchhike. You will feel better.
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
blackcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:09 AM   #169
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7-1-13
At 1045pm Stas said we are going to Valva's house in 30 minutes. So, at 1115pm we are walking to visit friends. I have met Valva 3-4 times.He isa fun energetic guy. Everybody likes Valva. I don't know why we are going to his house this late. When Stas, Sasha, Helena, and I arrive I meet Valva's wife for the first time. She invites us in.The next thing I know we're eating again. Then the 2 women go outside for about 45 minutes. When they return, they are wearing robes, and they are wet.Then Stas motions for me to follow. I think I know where this is going. I've read about the old Russian tradition called Banya.Next thing I know Stas, Valva, and I are striped down in this room.

Next we went into this steam room.

Heated by this wood burner.

And it gets hot hot.After you can't stand it anymore, you go outside and jump into this cold pool of water. I can take the hot a lot easier than jumping into that ice pit.

Oh well, it's all done. Right?
No.Back into the steam room. This time it's hotter. And he adds some aromatics to the water he throws on the stove. Eucalyptus I think. Next I lay on my stomach while Valva takes what they called a bathing broom and strikes it on my back, head to heels, until I'm a nice red color. Then I get up and he gives me some soap and a piece of stiff foam rubber to scrub my body. He says it will scrub all the dead skin off of me.I guess he beat all the dead skin off of my back side. Then I rinsed off several times. 230am I'm back home in bed. I've learned to never think the night is over just because it is 11pm.

Today I went and bought a bus ticket to Ulanbaatar, Mongolia. I leave Wednesday morning at 730.I return Saturday morning. I didn't have much choice on times. Theyare ppretty well booked up.It's longer than I wanted to be there. But it may be my only chance to see it.

Sasha and Andrey drove me into town to get the tickets. On the way back, we stopped at a post office. They got a number from them. I think it is a number for customs to retrace. We'll see.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #170
theoenhilde
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hé Doug,

It's a big distance to Ulanbataar. We looked google earth, beautiful. Take a lot of pictures. Hope your bike is ready when you are back in Sacha's house.
Enjoy your trip.
Hilde and Theo
theoenhilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #171
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcaps View Post
Passed Ulan Ude and I'm now in Khabarovsk. Will visit Opposit Ulan Ude on de way back. Can only advise you to organise your doings yourself. Take the train, bus or hitchhike. You will feel better.
When will you be back to Ulan Ude? Like to meet you, but hope I'm not here. I think I gave you coordinates to Opposite motorcycle club. Great people.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #172
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoenhilde View Post
Hé Doug,

It's a big distance to Ulanbataar. We looked google earth, beautiful. Take a lot of pictures. Hope your bike is ready when you are back in Sacha's house.
Enjoy your trip.
Hilde and Theo
Thanks Hilde and Theo.I will try to see your family with or without my motorcycle. Of course my my motorcycle wants to meet you too.I will do all I can so we both visit you in the Netherlands.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #173
blackcaps
Do it alone

Wonder if the Russians will let you out without motorcycle as it is mentioned on your customs declaration form.

If they do not mind... well ... that would open perspectives...

Whish you good luck.
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #174
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcaps View Post
Wonder if the Russians will let you out without motorcycle as it is mentioned on your customs declaration form.

If they do not mind... well ... that would open perspectives...

Whish you good luck.
I've read others have done it.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #175
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

BREAKING NEWS FROM MOSCOW

My crankshaft has been located in Moscow. It should be here in 3-4 days. I'm leaving for Mongolia in the morning and will be back in 5 days. Sounds like a perfect schedule. Sure hope it goes back together good enough to get me home.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #176
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
BREAKING NEWS FROM MOSCOW

My crankshaft has been located in Moscow. It should be here in 3-4 days. I'm leaving for Mongolia in the morning and will be back in 5 days. Sounds like a perfect schedule. Sure hope it goes back together good enough to get me home.
That's great news bro!

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #177
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Hey Doug, good to see that things are working out.
Try to stop by the Oasis guesthouse while you're here. You'll be certain to meet some bikers, and it's a welcome relief from the chaos of the city.
Also, you might pick up a Macbook for cheap. Some lowlife snuck into our ger this evening and walked out with ours. So now my adv report looks even less likely!
Been loving Mongolia regardless though. Shame you can't ride it.
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #178
blackcaps
Do it alone

Now when you enter Russia again you get a new custom declaration on which your motor is not. So if you finally leave Russia they will not let you out.

Well thats what comes to mind.

But wish you again good luck.

Please report about the border crossings.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #179
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Hey Doug, good to see that things are working out.
Try to stop by the Oasis guesthouse while you're here. You'll be certain to meet some bikers, and it's a welcome relief from the chaos of the city.
Also, you might pick up a Macbook for cheap. Some lowlife snuck into our ger this evening and walked out with ours. So now my adv report looks even less likely!
Been loving Mongolia regardless though. Shame you can't ride it.

I've read many things disappear while being entertained in Mongolia. My bike could be running when I get back from Mongolia. I hope to ride through.

I just cleared the border. The bus stopped for lunch nearby. I'll eat tonight or tomorrow.

I got a quick lesson on how to delete pictures off my camera today. The Russian border guard watched as I figured it out. I thought the no picture sign was just for in the building.

I'm the only English speaker on the bus. But letting the 10 year old girl behind me play with the tablet translator has been interesting. Now I here the word American throughout the bus.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #180
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
Also, you might pick up a Macbook for cheap. Some lowlife snuck into our ger this evening and walked out with ours.
Was it stolen while you were at Oasis? I'm heading there in a few weeks...