User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #196
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
7-11-13 Thursday

I know this hasn't been much of a ride report lately. A lot of days I post for my memories and to keep family and friends up to speed. But today was action packed. I went to the store for a few things and to get money from the ATM.As I reached for my debit card, I didn't see my credit card. I ran home and called my wife-waking her up at 1245am.At the same time, Sasha says we must go to customs and pick up the crankshaft.

At customs, I remember thinking about separating my debit card and my credit card. If I lost one, I could still survive. I called home again and told her it might not be missing. Just miss placed.When I got back to my room, I found it in a good hiding place. Lucky we didn't cancel it.

After about 10 minutes in customs, we were told we couldn't pick up the crankshaft. It was being delivery to Sasha's friends house. It would be delivered in about 2 hours. So we can wait a little longer.

I asked Sasha if he had a cylinder hone because there is some rough areas on the cylinder. He doesn't have one, and didn't know where I could buy one. Guess I'll just need to carry extra oil with me.I also found the exhaust cam bearing (part of the head) had a little roughness. I'm not too concerned about it. It's not on the load carrying side.

Another hour and we'll see if we have enough parts to make it run again.

Update on that delivery. We picked it up at customs ourselves. Well, the guy it was supposed to be delivered to was there also. Anyway, here's the box in front of the customs office. If you see the reflection in the window, you can probably see a big smile on my face. It wasn't packed very well. Maybe from customs opening it up. And the woman that brought it out and weighed it most have thought it was a basketball.

Doogle screwed with this post 07-11-2013 at 03:03 AM
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #197
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Great news, congrats. So how long has it been since you ordered it?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #198
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
Great news, congrats. So how long has it been since you ordered it?
Ordered and shipped from eBay Oregon June 17th. Left San Francisco customs June 20th. Cleared customs in Moscow July 3rd. Arrived here July 11th. 24 days
Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #199
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
ugh, seems about typical. Hopefully back on the road tomorrow?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #200
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #201
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7-12-13
Well, I hoped to be on the road this afternoon. Got the bike running a little after 4pm.I needed to go to the store to get some money. Stas said it was closed today for some reason. Then he said we were eating in 15 minutes. I still planned to cross into Mongolia today. A biker friend that was eating with us, said the border closes at 6pm. I got on the internet and confirmed it. I guess I'll wait another day to leave.

My bike was leaning against the white car in the back of the garage for 4 weeks.

Here's the engine nearly finished.

And ready to see the bike and motor married again. I hope they get along better this time.

After buying oil, a spark plug, and other things today, we stopped where Sasha works a day per week. He's retired military. But he still works there as a civilian part time. He picked up some gasket material there.He cut out several complicated gaskets from the material. He impressed me.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #202
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 637
That's great news, I'm sure we are all glad to see you up and running again. Now we can get more updates from the road.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #203
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 2,985

It lives!
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #204
white_bear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Wicked Russian Customs

I had my clutch go out just short of Kemerovo. I had folks send the parts from Germany to me. Russian Customs was a nightmare.

First, they wanted 20 pages (I do not kid you, I counted them!) of forms filled out, stamps, a Norary, a cusroms import agent, and about 17,048 rubles for me to get the package.

After a week and a half I wrote a VERY STRONG letter to DHL and Customs. Basically I said I'd hate for my trip to be a failure because I couldn't get a few motorcycle parts without all the bureaucracy garbage attached to it. I told them I was just importing a few parts and 1 gasket, not a Nuclear Power Plant with Uranium. I told them I would post results of my package delivery/non-delivery/fiasco on the internet for all to see.

By coincidence, there was an article in Pravda from DHL/UPS that said Russia had dropped 3 places in the past year for world trading and doing foreign business. The reason stated was impossible paperwork for importers and the absolutely ridiculous Russian bureaucracy. Most of the Russian friends said my letter was too strong.

Anyway, 2 days later, I am get a 1 line email from RU-customs that the customs tariff is now 2006 rubles and I can go to DHL to get my package/parts.

Moral: Don't break down in Russia and need parts from somewhere else. YMMV
white_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #205
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7-13-13
I was ready to leave at 830.Ate some cake for breakfast. Went out to the bike and hit the start button and it wouldn't start. After looking at many things we pulled the gas tank. The spark plug cable was loose at the coil. Finally it starts. 1045 I am saying good bye to Sasha and Stas.

I'm on my way after 4 idle weeks. Going through the border was relatively fast. Out of Russia and into Mongolia in an hour and a half. While there I talked with Robert and Robert from Austria. I met them at the Oasis last week. They were glad to see my bike was running. They were going North.

When I entered Mongolia customs, a man looks at your passport and guides people in the right direction. I saw him 10 days ago.He looked at me and said did you get your bike running? What a memory. 20 minutes later I'm on the road. Welcome to Mongolia.

I planned to stay in the heart of Ulanbaatar. There was a hostel that advertised tours to a Mongolian military area where you could drive a Russian tank and shoot a RPG.When I got to the hostel, he no longer runs it.So I went back to the Oasis. They were over full. They let me pitch my tent for 1 night.

They told me the tank/RPG adventure was probably closed. They had researched it for other people.

While here, I talked with Motomichael. I was going to ride Mongolia with him if my crankshaft had come in sooner. He went on and rode a central loop. Half of where I want to ride. And NyLon2000-Phillip is here. He broke down down near China and had to be trucked here. I thought he lost a piston. But his clutch went out on him. It's a major repair on a BMW. We talked about riding together 2 months ago. We have a lot in common. Break downs.
It's 130pm and stopped raining. I need to get on the trail.Just wanted to get up to date with my blog. Don't know when I'll have internet again.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #206
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Good to hear. I bet it's a great feeling to be rolling again...
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #207
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 697
Back on the road!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #208
theoenhilde
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Good to hear you're on the road again hope the bike brings you safe to our place. From the south of france following your adventures. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
7-13-13
I was ready to leave at 830.Ate some cake for breakfast. Went out to the bike and hit the start button and it wouldn't start. After looking at many things we pulled the gas tank. The spark plug cable was loose at the coil. Finally it starts. 1045 I am saying good bye to Sasha and Stas.

I'm on my way after 4 idle weeks. Going through the border was relatively fast. Out of Russia and into Mongolia in an hour and a half. While there I talked with Robert and Robert from Austria. I met them at the Oasis last week. They were glad to see my bike was running. They were going North.

When I entered Mongolia customs, a man looks at your passport and guides people in the right direction. I saw him 10 days ago.He looked at me and said did you get your bike running? What a memory. 20 minutes later I'm on the road. Welcome to Mongolia.

I planned to stay in the heart of Ulanbaatar. There was a hostel that advertised tours to a Mongolian military area where you could drive a Russian tank and shoot a RPG.When I got to the hostel, he no longer runs it.So I went back to the Oasis. They were over full. They let me pitch my tent for 1 night.

They told me the tank/RPG adventure was probably closed. They had researched it for other people.

While here, I talked with Motomichael. I was going to ride Mongolia with him if my crankshaft had come in sooner. He went on and rode a central loop. Half of where I want to ride. And NyLon2000-Phillip is here. He broke down down near China and had to be trucked here. I thought he lost a piston. But his clutch went out on him. It's a major repair on a BMW. We talked about riding together 2 months ago. We have a lot in common. Break downs.
It's 130pm and stopped raining. I need to get on the trail.Just wanted to get up to date with my blog. Don't know when I'll have internet again.
theoenhilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #209
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,149
Back on the road! Enjoy Mongolia.

If you get near Tsetserleg, there is this nice place (Lat 47.478303, Long 101.457333) that has great food and clean comfy beds. You might be ready to spoil yourself a bit after a week or two of standard Mongolian digs.
Be safe, take pics, write when you can.

SeanF screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 10:36 PM
SeanF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #210
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,568
great to see you on the road again and thanks for taking the time to trade emails
rtwpaul is online now   Reply With Quote