Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #226
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Threading the needle

7-24-13 Ketchenery,Russia 120 miles south of Volgograd
565 miles 9829 total

Today I had some excitement. A couple days ago I said I was getting used to cars coming head on at me. Today they put a new twist on it. I was going about 60 mph. A car was passing a truck and was cutting it close. I moved to the right side of my lane to miss him. Then I see car number 2 behind him. The problem with right hand drive cars is they need to get all the way out to see what's coming. When he saw me I guess he thought my best chance was for me to go between him and the truck. His left tires went in the shoulder gravel. I'm sure glad we were thinking the same thing. And who knows what things would have looked like if there were a third car trying to pass without looking.

A couple hours later I stopped and bought a small jar of honey. He gave me several spoon samples of different types of honey. I guess most of it is from the sunflowers. I saw more sunflowers today than yesterday.

I stopped at McDonald's in Volgograd to use their internet. It was quite fast. I skyped with my wife and son for a while.

Then I rode into the dark, looking for a motel. It was about 120 miles before I found one. $12 for a hostel room near Ketchenery

Doogle screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 06:06 PM
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #227
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Enjoying your posts. Keep it up and stay safe.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #228
motoracer51
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Enjoying the ride report. How old is your son?
motoracer51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 PM   #229
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7-25-13 Gudauri,Georgia
535 miles 10364 total

This is the truck stop hostel I stayed in. It was clean.

The land below Volgograd was flat and boring for a long time. Roads were decent, then rough.

I went through Elistia, Russia. I saw 2 trucks loading or unloading these tanks. Also saw this gold statute entering the city.

About 50 miles from the border of Georgia, the flat land became more mountainous.

I was on a nice curvy road with mountains and little traffic. Something is wrong. I got to the border crossing and I was 2nd in line. The customs guy comes to me and says I'm not allowed to cross at this border. But sir, my GPS told me to come this way. At least the extra 70 miles were pleasant.

When I got to the correct border it was 730pm. Exiting Russia took over 2 hours. But I talked with people from Russia, Georgia, and Armenia while waiting. Everybody is interested in a loaded motorcycle with odd license plates. After clearing Russia, it took about 20 minutes to enter Georgia. There customs checked every bag I had. It was the most thorough check I've had.

Now it's 1045 and I'm tired. As I head south, it's raining, dark, and the road is very rough and potholed. I'm so tired, I consider tent camping. But it's too hilly. Finally in Guduari I find a hotel. Taverna Khereki for $50. It looks like they cater to winter ski people in this area. Many hotels I tried weren't open. My room has a loft with 3 beds. It's a nice place.

Now that I'm out of Russia I will slow down for a while. I'd like getting a room before dark. Maybe even eat something other than potato chips and peanuts for meals.

Doogle screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 06:18 PM
Old 07-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #230
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,716
Looking good, Doug
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #231
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,150
Good stuff. Enjoy Georgia.:
Old 07-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #232
Sound Farm
Art x Science

Oddometer: 104
Been watching since I saw you in Iowa on your way out. Sounding amazing. Stay safe !!!!
Sound Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #233
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Great RR! You have true grit! Hey, anyone know who these horse-warrior statues represent? General, like "mother Russia" or more individual. The one jumping out of the cliff face is wild.
Blader54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #234
WunderfulLusterful
Banned

Oddometer: 24
I am loving your report. Nice and simple, not cluttered up with too many words Keep it up and be safe man!

PS, My wife lives in Krasnoyarsk! I don't know what that has to do with anything other than I know how it is trying to keep in touch my phone and internet. It's tough for sure.
WunderfulLusterful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #235
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7-26-13 121 miles 10485 total

I only got to Gori, Georgia today. I got out of bed at 910am. Still not caught up on sleep. It was after 1pm before I was on the road. I had breakfast at the hotel cafe and talked with a woman employee about Georgia and places to go.

I passed this church that looked more like a castle. It's Ananuri Church. No English signage. So that's all I know about it.

The winds were very strong today.I was on a real expressway for 1/2 hour. And I saw several cows on the narrow elevated median.

And a sign reminding me where I am.

When I got to Gori I decided it was far enough. I'm at the Intourist Hotel-$45. It is across the street from Stalin Park.Stalin was born here. I walked to the museum, 500 feet away, but they were closed for the day. I assume this is the house he grew up in, with this shelter built over it.

Later I walked to the Gori Fortress. It sits on a high hill in the middle of the flat city. There was some kind of fortress here B.C. but the current structure was built in later times. There is not much on top to reward the climb up. But it is a good city viewing point.

I can see the lighted fortress from my room at night. Great view.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #236
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

7-26-13 164 miles

I went to the bank again trying to exchange rubles and Mongolian money. Waited 15 minutes in line to get the same answer. No. Then I rode about 6 miles to Uplistsikhi. They didn't open till 11am. So I waited another 15 minutes. Uplistsikhi is a cave city that was built 3500 years ago and was on the silk road from China. The dwellings were carved out of the sandstone. I was there 1 1/2 hours and took way too many pictures.

When I left, I back tracked through Gori.On the way back I crossed a bridge that had a sharp curve at the end. A dump truck didn't see me and cut into my lane. When he saw me he locked his brakes and went side ways. I wiggled past him.

I saw Martin and David from Pilzen, Czech Republic at the Stalin Museum. They were riding around the Black Sea.

Then I rode to Kutaisi.With little cooperation from my GPS I found the Bagrati Cathedral. When I stopped to look at a fountain in town, I saw the cathedral in thebackground.

When I looked for the Gelati Monastery, I got more lies and mind changing from my GPS. I went to another smaller monastery before I found Gelati Monastery. Hope I didn't get these pictures too out of order.

When I left Gelati, I needed to find a hotel fast. My rear sprocket finally said good bye. Half the teeth were gone. In Kutaisi I found the NNN Hotel forthe $36.It opened 5 days earlier. I installed a new chain and sprocket as the owner watched. He spoke decent English. He lived in North Carolina for several years. Unfortunately no WiFi. I guess I'll need to eat at McDonald's again in the morning. Hope they open early.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #237
SeanF
-

Oddometer: 2,150
Great stuff doog.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #238
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
Great stuff doog.
Wish I had the time you had. A lot of things I'd like to see here.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #239
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Farm View Post
Been watching since I saw you in Iowa on your way out. Sounding amazing. Stay safe !!!!
Seems like it was a year ago that I met you. Some day I'll be following your ride report. Right?
Old 07-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #240
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7-28-13 211 miles 10863 total
I went back to McDonald's for breakfast this morning. Actually I went back to use the WiFi. My bike is a lot quieter after putting my new chain and near new rear sprocket on last night. I was at McDonald's a couple hours.It was raining pretty hard most of the time. It was still raining when I left. I was going to stop at Batumi to do some touristy things. But it was still raining. I decided if it's going to be wet, I would just keep riding. The Turkey border was only 12 more miles. I went past this odd little cookie.

The Georgia coastline near Batumi looked like a party waiting to happen. If the rain would stop. I took a picture of the not so inviting looking beach. But if it were hot and sunny, I guess I'd be out there.

I took this picture at the Georgia Turkey border.

It took 2 hours to pass the border. First, I must have lost my bike registration. I always keep it in my passport. So it probably fell out at a hotel in Georgia. They always want the passport when you check in. I did have a copy of my registration with me.
The Georgia customs said they would accept it. And they would call Turkey customs to see if they would accept it. Otherwise, I could have left Georgia and been refused at Turkey. Luckily they let me in. I had to buy a visa - $20. Then I had to buy a green card-insurance- $20. Between buying the visa and the insurance, I had to.......drop my bike again. I just can't get my kick stand to stay where it's supposed to.

I'm finally on the road going down the coastline. It's good road with little traffic and very limited access. An hour into Turkey it stops raining. There aren't many hotels that I can see. The first I stop at was over $100. I stopped at the Hotel Arsen near Arsin.It's a nice looking place for $40US. King size bed, WiFi, and a good bathroom.

They said breakfast was included. Above 9pm I went down to see what food they might have. I asked the hotel receptionist where I paid. He said it's free. I picked up a plate-there was food on several tables. He took the plate from me and and served me. Even though they were closing up,they treated me like I was in a 4 star restaurant. It was great food. $40 worth of food. If you are near this hotel, you should make this a stopping place.

Something that changed abruptly after the border crossing. I can see 6-8 mosques at a time when passing some towns. Just surprising that a religion changes so abruptly at a border.