Oddometer: 3,923

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #242
coolgreany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Great trip so far - you're superman! If you get a chance go by Pamukkale. Also, have a few teas for me - I had about 10 a day when we went there!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamukkale

If your travels bring you by Stuttgart, Germany then fell free to hit us up for a place to stay.

John

Previous Bikes:
1983 BMW R100RT w/ Wasp Earls Forks/wheels w/ Watsonian Oxford Sidecar (England and USA)
1981 BMW R100RT w/ Gemini Sidecar (England)
1977 BMW R60/7 w/ Watsonian Palma Sidecar (Ireland)
1975 Honda CB500-4 (Ireland)
1973 Honda CB250 (Ireland)
1971 Honda CB125 (Ireland)
1970 Honda C90 (Ireland)
???? Honda C50 (Ireland)
coolgreany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #243
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
7-29-13 532 miles 11395 total

I left at 930 this morning and followed the coastline of the Black Sea for about 200 miles. At is good road with little traffic. There is more traffic going through towns. There are some traffic signals in towns. When the road turned inland, most of the green vegetation turned brown. It reminded me of southern California. A grass fire waiting to happen.

I got a surprise when I stopped for gas. $58 to fill my tank. Almost $10 a gallon. Ouch. I got a room in Kaynasli. $25 including breakfast. I don't know if it is supposed to be included or not. But they gave me supper too. I'm 140 miles from Istanbul. I'll probably stay there 2-3 days.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #244
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7-30-13 150 miles 11545 total

I got to Istanbul about 1pm. As usual, once I found a hotel, there were plenty to choose from. Hotel Nova is $40. It's close to the ferries and bus station. I walked around looking for a tour company with no luck. While trying to exchange Mongolian money a woman tried to help. I got no money exchanged, but she tried to help find a tour company for me. She walked to different places with me for 1/2 hour. Finally I told her to go home. I'd find something on the internet.

I found Istanbul to be a very modern city. I like it a lot.

All though it is modern, they still have some different toilets.

As I was walking back to my hotel, I saw a barber shop and decided it was time. He washed my sweaty hair, then washed it. After trimming my ears, he lit a cigarette lighter and burnt the remaining hairs.

On the way back to my hotel, I stopped and continued my tradition of drinking a beer in every country I've been in.

I don't know what I'll do tomorrow since I didn't find a tour company. I'd rather do a bus tour if I can.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #245
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Still here

I just wanted to tell you I"m still following and love the updates. Looking forward to each update. I have a friend in Dudeldorf, DE that is heading your way I think but he's unsure of the climate in Turkey. Seen anything negative yet?
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #246
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I've seen nothing negative about Turkey.I guess $10 for a gallon of gas should be considered a negative. It's been warm. And wearing riding pants and coat doesn't help.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #247
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 488
I love the report, please keep the updates coming!!!
Which country next?

if you are still in Istanbul, walk over to Galata Bridge for some tasty fish. You can get on a boat there too for a tour around the Bosphorus.
sasho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #248
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
I love the report, please keep the updates coming!!!
Which country next?

if you are still in Istanbul, walk over to Galata Bridge for some tasty fish. You can get on a boat there too for a tour around the Bosphorus.
I may go down to Athens, Greece. Then up through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Austria. All subject to change.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #249
yeoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Unbelievable!!! So my hunting buddy (who is not into motorcycles) comes back from Mongolia and says that he met a guy on a KLR who is an "adventure rider." I had to hear the story and when he casually tells me that he blogs online, I knew where to read it. When I asked for his name and heard "Doogle", the search was on. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I'm a good friend of Stanton Miller. I've read some of your posts and am thoroughly jealous! My kids always make fun of me always being on ADV. Can't wait to show them Stanton's picture. Be safe and have fun.
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #250
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I may go down to Athens, Greece. Then up through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Austria. All subject to change.
What is your plan for Bulgaria? I am looking forward to that part of your trip!! Let me know if you would like some tips regarding places.
sasho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #251
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7-31-13 18 miles 11563 total
I rode into the tourist area of Istanbul today. It was 13 miles away and took me 18 miles to get there. I was going the wrong way on one way streets in front of cops. I finally found the Blue Mosque and some free parking for motorcycles.A man pointed me in the right direction and walked with me a while. Next thing I know we are looking at a new BMW in front of his carpet and ceramic shop. His partner owns the BMW. I talked with the partner and his son while drinking apple tea they brought out. Then the bike talk turned to which carpet or ceramic piece do you like best. I did buy a coffee cup for my wife. I told him I would pick it up later. Didn't want to carry it all day. I paid for it and marked the shop on my GPS.

Near my bike I saw the Obelisk of Theodosius. It was erected in 390 A.D. And nearby was the Serpentine Column. I didn't read any information about it.

Then I went to the Blue Mosque. It's free entry. But it was closed for another hour for prayer. So I went to the Hagia Sofia. It was about a quarter mile away. It was built in 537. It was the center of Christianity and was the largest church for nearly 1000 years. It was converted to a mosque in 1453 after the Ottoman conquest. Then in 1935 it was converted to a museum.

After going through the Hagia Sofia, I went back to the Blue Mosque. They are both huge.

Then a quarter mile away was the Topkapi Palace. I took pictures. But I won't post them here. It didn't really do must for me. Reading about it, they say it's one of the top attractions. Here is the entrance.

Next I went to the Basilica Cistern. It's a huge underground water reservoir. It was built in the 6th century.

[IMG]http[/IMG]

Nearby is the Million Post. It's what left of an arch.All mileage to places in the empire were measured from this point.

Then I went into the Grand Bizarre. It's a huge market with thousands of vendors selling anything you could imagine. It looked like mostly upscale items.

I would liked to look more, but I was trying to find the shop where I left my coffee cup, before they closed. Couldn't find it.My GPS didn't mark it correctly. I found my bike and then found a hotel. Sipahi Hotel forme $33.Hope I can find my coffee cup tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #252
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8-1-13 293 miles 11856 total

This is the hotel I stayed in. The owner spoke good English, and was interesting to talk with.

This morning I zoomed my GPS in and found the 4 foot space I was standing at when I marked the carpet shop. Then I went there and got my coffee cup.The owners son wanted to see my bike before I left.

This pillar was close to my room. It didn't have anything identifying it. I read something about it yesterday explaining who and why the metal braces were put on. Of course I don't remember any of that.

I decided not to go to Cappadosi after seeing it on the map. It is half way back to Georgia and farther south. So I routed the GPS for Athens. 667 miles. I checked out of Turkey. When I tried getting in Greece, they said I needed a green card-insurance. Their insurance sales were closed. They told me to go back to the Turkey border and buy it.I went back and got in line.....nineth place. Finally the first guy finished. Another guy in line asked if I would like to go ahead, since they had a group of about 15.Would I? Mine didn't take long. I was told they couldn't sell me insurance in Turkey. I had to buy my insurance in Europe- Greece. So I ride back to Greece. The duty officer told me someone would be here in 2 hours. 730pm.Made me think about skipping Athens. No WiFi here either. And I'm 500 miles from Athens. I walked past his office at 7pm. He told me to go on through and buy insurance when I got to my hotel. I'll find a local agent in the morning.

I'm in Kavata, Greece in Hotel Europa-$47.I'm 400 miles from Athens. The roads have been great. Mostly riding along the coastline. And the wait I had at the border allowed the temperature to drop.

Ive seen a lot of farming. Mostly small fields. And they have a lot of sunflowers too.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #253
roaming_art
KLR 685, 2009

Oddometer: 165
Epic stuff Doogle! Watching your journey with much interest! Keep on, keeping on and watch that KLR's oil level! We all know those suckers are thirsty.
No lazy, sun-kissed life was this, with nothing to do but loaf and be bored. Here was neither peace, nor rest, nor a moment's safety. All was confusion and action, and every moment life and limb were in peril. - Jack London
roaming_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #254
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,855
Loved Athens although I am not sure how it Compares to all the amazing sites you are seeing thus far.

I have only ridden the train in Greece and enjoyed the countryside, I would think on a motorcycle would be absolutely beyond Amazing.
Keeping me motivated for my next trip, stay safe
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #255
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
I applaud any erection that has endured since 390 AD!

And think how difficult it must have been to get that obelisk from Alex to Constantinople in one piece. Just to move it at all was likely quite a feat.

I think that cistern was in a scene in an early James Bond movie...maybe "From Russia with Love", in which Bond and a local agent rowed a small boat through the cistern to reach a location w/o being detected. Great report! Carry on!!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote