Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #301
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,701
Just read your SA ride. The bike was sent back to the US with what sounded like significant motor issues, gears and oil leaks. Then on this trip your main bearings went out. What was found, done to the motor after SA?

Enjoying your RR!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #302
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Just read your SA ride. The bike was sent back to the US with what sounded like significant motor issues, gears and oil leaks. Then on this trip your main bearings went out. What was found, done to the motor after SA?

Enjoying your RR!
Replaced half the transmission, bored. 010 over, and replaced all bearings except crankshaft bearings. Not all other bearings were bad. I replaced just for peace of mind.

My main bearings didn't go bad. It was the lower rod bearing that was loose.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #303
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

8-13-13 211 miles 14432 total
This morning I went to Grossglockner. You pay $31 to drive up to the glacier. It says there are 48 kilometers of road. I didn't see all of it.The road tees maybe 10 miles in. I went left to the glacier to start. It is very popular with motorcycles and bicycles.

I had lunch at the glacier/end of the road. At a touristy place I should have asked how much things cost. $27 !!!! But it was good.

When I left there, I went back to the tee in the road, and went the other direction. After a couple miles it turned to a blinding fog. After 3 tunnels and a couple more miles, I turned around.

I thought I would get to Stelvio Pass in Switzerland today. But at 5pm I was still over 100 miles away. I stopped to take a picture of a town with a mountain behind it. I rode up a gravel drive to get a clear picture.

There was a hotel up the drive. I thought I would ask how much it was. It was much nicer than I expected from the gravel drive. Of course the gravel drive was a back entrance. His last room was $125. No thanks. He said it included a very good dinner. My wife would shoot me. Then he said $104. It sure has some great views. And the dinner was very good. Hotel Serena.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #304
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Grossglockner

Last September Jim (guy that owes you a beer) and I rode from Munich down through the Alps;

Alps Ride

We hit Grossglockner on day one and went over the top. We both liked it very much. What we didn't do though was take time to see the glacier... Thanks for the pictures.

I'll be there when Jim buys you a beer and I'll add one of my own. Safe Travels
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #305
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
Last September Jim (guy that owes you a beer) and I rode from Munich down through the Alps;

Alps Ride

We hit Grossglockner on day one and went over the top. We both liked it very much. What we didn't do though was take time to see the glacier... Thanks for the pictures.

I'll be there when Jim buys you a beer and I'll add one of my own. Safe Travels
You know Jim? This sure is a small, small world.
Anyone else out there that knows Jim and wants to buy me a beer? See you soon.
Doug
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #306
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

8-14-13 356 miles 14788 total
I left early this morning. I thought I only had about 100 miles to go. It was closer to 200. And riding through the northern Italy ski resort area was like driving through Gatlinburg for 25 miles on a Saturday night. I finally followed a German biker that knew how to navigate traffic. This is a very scenic area to ride through.

I rode up Gavia Pass near the Switzerland border. This is probably the best riding I've ever done. It's worth a trip here just to ride a few days in this area. There are more hairpin turns than you can imagine.

In the early evening I rode up Stevio Pass. It was as good or better than Gavia Pass. I did get into some fog again. But it didn't last long.

After riding back down to the real world again, I rode north. I went through Austria, a nibble of Switzerland, and into Germany. I found a room in Kempten. The near full Furstenhof Hotel for $85. As I rode into town I saw many people in traditional German clothes. The receptionist said their annual festival was in full swing. It goes on through August 18th. It's their Oktoberfest. There were 50, 000 people here for the festival. They only allow so many people in before they close the gates. The gates were closed at 7pm.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:20 AM   #307
ShinyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Talking

Nice Report!

Let me say, Welcome to Germany!
I hope you will enjoy your riding here...
If you need any help here in Germany, just write me a PM.
I life in the Ruhrpott, close to the Netherlands.
ShinyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #308
hepek
n00b

Oddometer: 3
hi doogle i see you found great roads!!
i had a great ride after we split :)
it was realy great time hanging around in belgrade with you.
i'll send pics to you on email
good ride!
hepek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #309
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepek View Post
hi doogle i see you found great roads!!
i had a great ride after we split :)
it was realy great time hanging around in belgrade with you.
i'll send pics to you on email
good ride!
Thanks for the pictures and the city tour. Great time listening to the band.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #310
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

8-15-13 463 miles 15251 total

Adding to yesterday's comments. I left some things out. I was almost done with my post when my computer froze up and lost all my work. I was too tired and disgusted to redo it. In the morning I redid it and left things out. I had a couple interesting riding events. While riding down from Stelvio Pass, a motorcycle going the other direction and enjoying the curves, forgot it's 2 way traffic. I was almost on the shoulder when he flew past.
Later, I was coming out of a construction area in Austria. My north bound lanes were converging with a single south bound lane. A car coming towards me got confused and was going south in the north bound lane.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Today was a long uninteresting day. I was on the autobahn most of the day. I would prefer calling it the autopark system since my feet were on the ground as much as they were on the foot pegs. South of Frankfurt they doing road construction every 10-15 miles. After Frankfurt it was smooth sailing.

In Dusseldorf I started looking for a room about 10 pm. The rooms were expensive. I would have stayed anyway, except they all wanted $10 extra for WiFi. I have a tent I'll set up before giving $10 for WiFi. So I wasted 2 hours in Dusseldorf. I stopped at several other places in a small town. They were either closed, too hard to find, or didn't accept credit cards.

About 1230 am I rode into a rest area. I thought I would set my tent up for the night. There were 5-6 trucks and 3-4 cars. And it was quite dark. I parked at the very end away from all others. As I started to get my tent out, a guy that was parked at the other end starts his car and moves right next to me. I thought this might be a drug dealing area, and he was trying to run me off. I sat on the ground and leaned back against the motorcycle and just looked at him. He eventually left. The another pulled up near me. His lights were still on and the engine running. After a couple minutes I walked towardshis car hhoping to run him off. That worked. He started backing up. He side swiped a huge rock behind the rear door. He was on the autobahn in no time. Soon all the cars left. Later I decided these people were probably looking for short ttime relationships.

I decided to not set the tent up.I put my riding gear, helmet, and gloves on and laid down next to the bike. I probably slept 2-3 hours if all the short naps were added together.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #311
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Hey Doug,
I was in Kempton the morning after you, didn't get there until about 1030 so I imagine you'd cleared town by then, and I imagine we sat in some of the same traffic. Very sorry to hear about your night in Germany and sleeping next to the bike. Better luck as you head towards Netherlands and he reunion. See you back in Ohio, cold beer waiting for you.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #312
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
I just want to add my voice to those who are enjoying your report. Thank you for taking the time to post.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #313
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Doug is so getting drunk when he makes it back to Ohio!
Thanks for the updates!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #314
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

8-16-13 84 miles 15335 total
Here was my bed last night.
I got up a little after 6 am. A man looked at my license plate and had many questions for me about my trip. I asked him if he knew where Nederwert, Netherlands was. He didn't. But we went and asked a guy on a motorcycle if he knew. No. But he started looking on his phone's GPS. Then a trucker came over and pointed me in the right direction. An hour and a half later I arrived at Nederwert.
I don't know if I explained why I wanted to visit the Netherlands on this trip. I received a letter in December from a woman wanting to know if I was the son of Arlo Lear, who was in Ospel.Netherlands in 1944.Yes.He was a medic in the 7th Armoured Division. Hilde said her mother was 13 at that time. He gave her an eraser with his initials carved in it. She still has it, and was trying to find information about if he survived the war. Their research found he returned to America on the Queen Mary after the war. And he died in 2005. We started exchanging information and pictures the next several months. I was planning to ride my motorcycle from Vladivostok to Lisbon, Portugal this summer. I decided going to the Netherlands would be a better route.
Hilde gave me the address to her brothers house. They were house sitting the brothers dogs while he was vacationing. I'm finally here.
They invite me in and take me to my room. After talking a while I follow them to her mother's house on the motorcycle. I don't know which one of us was happier. Hildes parents,Drina and Cor, don't speak much English .So Hilde and her husband,Theo translated for me.I asked Drina if she wanted to go for a ride with me.I settled for a few pictures of her sitting on the back with me.
We drove around the area and saw a few memorials where many American soldiers died.
Later we took Hilde’s parents home and returned to Hilde’s brothers house. I was very tired from my short night of sleeping on the brick parking lot .I had a nice soft bed tonight. I slept good.
8-17-13 8 miles 15343 total
After breakfast, we packed our belongings and moved from Hildes brothers house, to Hilde and Theo's house. The brother was returning today. After settling into the new resident, we went to Hildes parents house again. We went to the place Hildes mother met my father. The house is not there anymore. A new house was built right in front of it. Then the old house was torn down. The granddaughter of the original house owner saw us and came outside. We talked a while. Then she brought out a big picture of the new house with the old house behind it just before being torn down.
We returned Drina and Cor to their house and went to see Niek Hendrix. Niek is the area expert on the war. He has a building behind his house that is his private museum of the 7th Armoured Division. We went inside and looked at many of his treasures. He has been collecting for over 10 years. And he has a detailed story about every item there. He said he has only had a handful of visitor in to see his collection. I would like to have spent half a day looking around. But we had other places to go. He gave me a big old hardback book about the 7th Armoured Division.And he is going to send me a DVD of his collection. As I was saying thank you and good bye for the 4th time, he said his father told him “Don’t forget.Never forget.” His face turned red,and his eyes were getting wet as he closed the door. And I was feeling the same way. He is passionate about the war history. I am lucky to have met him.

We went back to the house for a short time before going to a grill out.The teachers Theo works with have a grill out every year before returning to the new school year. It was at a motorcycle friendly campground. I had a good time talking with many of his cell mates and motorcyclist from around Europe.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #315
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

8-18-13

After breakfast we picked up Drina and Cor and drove towards Belgium. We went to the Margraten Cemetery. It is the only American cemetery in the Netherlands.

We talked with the man Hilde talked with a year earlier. He helped her with her research about my father.

When we left the cemetery we tok Drina and Cor home and said good bye.

As I hugged Drina she had tears in her eyes. And mine looked the same. It was the best ending for a trip you could ask for. Although I'm not quite done with my trip.

I can't say enough good things about Hilde and Theo.They have been great.I hope to maybe come back next year with my wife and visit.