Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #316
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,211
Excellent update.It amazes me how people become connected from far away places.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #317
jbar28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Fantastic!

For all involved. What a way to finish a great trip and an inspiring ride report. Or not quite finished? Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to take us all along, Doug.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #318
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,723
Awesome Doug

Great history about your father and the lives he touched.

You are starting to act like me sleeping on the side of the road and such, but fighting off horny homosexuals is something I've never had to do yet

You've come so far, you going to be back in time for the Latin Rally if you go I go
Old 08-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #319
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,087
Great story, wonderfully told. Thanks for taking us along!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #320
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Awesome Doug

Great history about your father and the lives he touched.

You are starting to act like me sleeping on the side of the road and such, but fighting off horny homosexuals is something I've never had to do yet

You've come so far, you going to be back in time for the Latin Rally if you go I go
Yes John, you're supposed to fight them off. Not offer them a cigarette.
I'll be back very soon. But I don't think I'll be leaving my wife anymore this year.

Are you all healed up?
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #321
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
Yes John, you're supposed to fight them off. Not offer them a cigarette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug the Man
Are you all healed up?
Enough to have the surgery to remove all the hardware. Really looking forward to getting it all out and moving on. You will be missed, look forward to the next time our paths cross.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #322
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

8-19-13 408 miles 15751 total

I didn't leave Hilde and Theo's house until 1030. The night before I was trying to catch up 3 days of the blog. I was up till 215am and just almost finished. I was previewing before posting when it was all lost. So I went to bed and started over again in the morning. Another late start.

Saying good bye was like leaving a family member. I wasn't ready to leave. But I have another family that I haven't seen for a long time.

Today was a ride day. Not much to see where I was. I went through Belgium and into France. I rode along the coastline for a while.

And I crossed the Seine River.

It was getting late and cold. So I stopped in Surville at the Aubergine Hotel-$73.I'm glad Hilde packed some bread in my luggage. That was supper. Thanks Hilde.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #323
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

8-20-13 332 miles 16083 total
The first place I went to this morning was the American cemetery in Colleville. It is a very nice place. These are the soldiers killed in Normandy. Of course one picture doesn't begin to show all of them.

Next I went to Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc. Pointe du Hoc is the high ground between Omaha Beach and Utah Beach. There were old machine gun nests, artillery, and many bunker remains here.

And there were deep holes-6 to10 feet deep, from the naval assault.

Next I went to St.Mere Eglise. This is where a paratrooper got his parachute caught on the church steeple and had to hang out while his buddies were fighting a war. Theo told me this event was shown in the movie "The longest day. "They have a dummy hanging from a parachute high up on the church roof.

I went to Utah Beach last. There were a lot of people on the beach swimming today. There were memorials and tanks and artillery on display. Most of the people visiting seemed to be French.

I'm in Le Grand Cerf Hotel tonight in Neufchatez, France. I plan to take the Chunnel to England tomorrow. I may skip Scotland. I'm just deflated from never getting enough sleep. I still need to decide how I'm getting my bike home. Maybe I'll have a short day tomorrow and get a good internet connection to work on it.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #324
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I may skip Scotland. I'm just deflated from never getting enough sleep.
Doug, if you've never been to Scotland, you are going to miss out. I was there for New Years a few years ago, did ZERO planning, and didn't really know what to expect. Blew my mind. Can't imagine what it'd be like on a bike in the summer, but surely not to be missed.

Rest up man, it'll be worth it. Thanks for bringing us along this far.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #325
theoenhilde
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi Doug,

Al of us enjoyed your stay here. It felt like having new family. Hope it was worth while to visit Normandy. Wish you good luck for the rest of the trip and a safe journey home. We'll see each other again!
theoenhilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #326
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Brooklands

Hi Doogle. While you are in the southern part of the UK , Brooklands is well worth a visit. Its the worlds first purpose built motor racing circuit and part of the original track is still there. The museum is very interesting and full or old bikes. Take a look at the Jessie Ennis display if you manage to get there.

mikecbrxx screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 09:24 AM
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #327
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 889
Nice report Doogle! I was just at Omaha Beach two weeks ago for some survey work. Did you should check out the German Cemetery in La Cambe? Almost 9,400 people in the American Cemetery....21,000 people in the German Cemetery. Lots of cool wrecks and tanks off the coast, too.
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #328
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,607
Doug,

Thanks for taking me along on your ride. Not a Coalbatch ride but spectacular in it's own Buckeye way. I grew up near Portsmouth in KY. You and the KLR are good together, even during those dark days in Russia.

Be safe coming home.

Ateam
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #329
#1Fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Doogle,
Might I suggest that you write your blog using a Word document or something that save automatically, then when you are ready just copy and paste it into this forum? That may prevent you from losing your work.
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #330
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

This morning I rode about 1 1/2 hours to Calais. I rode up to the Chunnel ticket office to ask about prices and schedule. It was 112 euros or $152.Online it's about $100. I didn't want to wait. So 20 minutes later I'm on the train and we're pulling away from Calais. I think it was a 35 minute ride.

I rode towards London and was supposed to take a road north, just before getting into London. Signs said M25 had very long delays. So I rode into the outskirts of London and took another road north.

I wasted 2 hours looking for a room again. They were all full for horse shows and antique shows. At one campground a woman on the intercom told me it was too late. It was 830. A half hour later i stumbled onto another place. It's 15 minutes east of Nottingham.5 minutes after getting my tent set up, a high speed train blasts by. It's about 100 yards away. The ground shakes when they go by. Sometimes 2-3 in a minute. Where are my earplugs? But I'm happy to be in my sleeping bag at 1030 pm.