User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #331
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
8-22-13 277 miles 16758 total

I took a shower, packed the tent, and was on the road before 7am. After a few hours I was tired. There was a sign for the walled city of Berwick-upon-Tweed. So, I stopped and walked around a little. It was a border town that England and Scotland fought over for centuries. England is +1 on the score card.

Farther up the road, I entered Scotland. After taking this picture, I was in fog before getting into 4th gear. It was mostly foggy the rest of the day.

I decided to stop early in Edinburgh. I need to get online and find someone that can ship my bike home. I parked the bike and walked around the guesthouse area looking for a room. They are all full. August is their busy month. And their annual Edinburgh Festival is going on now. Finally a hotel has 1 room available from a cancellation. The Parkview House Hotel has a room for $202. How lucky can I get. The normal price is .$350.

After unpacking and Skypeing home, I walked to the city center. Pictures of the Edinburgh castle, St Peter and George Church, and the festival didn't turn out very well with all the fog. I walked around the castle. It's very high on a rock and a long way around. By the time I returned to the hotel, I had walked between 5 and 6 miles. It was time for bed.

Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #332
MeinMotorrad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Use this for finding campsites - http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ukcampsites/ They're bike friendly and well run with showers etc. Prices around 7 - 8 per night. but maybe higher at this time of year.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #333
cengiz64
Foreigner

Oddometer: 29
great RR,
cengiz64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #334
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

8-23-13 190 miles
I rode about 50 miles to St. Andrews. It's not a big city. But it's all golf. I'm not a golfer, but it felt very special standing on the old course. A man told me the last time he played here it was about $300. But you can also play 18 holes on another course -included.

I had lunch here.

Then I walked through the remains of the St. Andrews cathedral.

Next I was riding to the west coast of Scotland. When I stopped for gas the cashier asked if I was going to the "Thunder on the Glen. " It was about 25 miles away in Aviemore.I guess I am. I followed 2 bikers from the gas station. Half way there my clutch cable broke. It took 15 minutes to put my spare on.

There are thousands of bikers from all over the U.K. here. And it's 95% Harley's. The pay camping is very clean and has showers.

There is a hotel nearby that has live music. They played Scottish music that made everyone feel like dancing. At 11pm the music stopped and people start going to their rooms or tents. Tomorrow they have a ride somewhere. I guess I am going since it is included with the price for camping.

I have lots of requests for bike shipping out. Most haven't responded yet. The ones that did are expensive
I hope someone at the rally will have a lead for me.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #335
Wal2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
i'm about 40 miles before Berwick, right on the A1...wish i'd known you were passing......great RR

if your'e coming back the same way (Morpeth, NE61 6EB) and need a place to stay, you are welcome........07952-381811

Wal2 screwed with this post 08-24-2013 at 01:54 PM
Wal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #336
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Josh View Post
Nice report Doogle! I was just at Omaha Beach two weeks ago for some survey work. Did you should check out the German Cemetery in La Cambe? Almost 9,400 people in the American Cemetery....21,000 people in the German Cemetery. Lots of cool wrecks and tanks off the coast, too.
Just not enough time for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AteamNM View Post
Doug,

Thanks for taking me along on your ride. Not a Coalbatch ride but spectacular in it's own Buckeye way. I grew up near Portsmouth in KY. You and the KLR are good together, even during those dark days in Russia.

What dark days? ??

Be safe coming home.

Ateam
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan View Post
Doogle,
Might I suggest that you write your blog using a Word document or something that save automatically, then when you are ready just copy and paste it into this forum? That may prevent you from losing your work.
I know better. I think I like the pain.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #337
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Doug, if you've never been to Scotland, you are going to miss out. I was there for New Years a few years ago, did ZERO planning, and didn't really know what to expect. Blew my mind. Can't imagine what it'd be like on a bike in the summer, but surely not to be missed.

Rest up man, it'll be worth it. Thanks for bringing us along this far.
I was on the fence about coming up here. I think your post pushed me just enough. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoenhilde View Post
Hi Doug,

Al of us enjoyed your stay here. It felt like having new family. Hope it was worth while to visit Normandy. Wish you good luck for the rest of the trip and a safe journey home. We'll see each other again!
I feel the same. It sure felt like family staying with you and Theo. Say hi to Mom for me.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #338
theoenhilde
n00b

Oddometer: 8
you sent a lot of nice pictures. thanks. Beautiful Scotland.
theoenhilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #339
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wal2 View Post
i'm about 40 miles before Berwick, right on the A1...wish i'd known you were passing......great RR

if your'e coming back the same way (Morpeth, NE61 6EB) and need a place to stay, you are welcome........07952-381811
I missed your post. My wife mentioned it to me tonight. I'm in Gretna tonight and heading south in the morning. Thanks for the offer.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #340
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8_24_13 65 miles 17015 total

At noon today all the bikers lined up to leave on the ride. I heard there were 5000 bikes here and 3000 went on the ride. It was amazing leaving town. The first mile leaving town, people were lined up on both sides of the street 2-3 deep, shoulder to shoulder waving and taking pictures and videos. 7 miles later people are still out there. Just not as close.

The ride was 48 miles to another town.This is what the street looked like when I got there. And I was closer to the front of the group.

We zigzaged around because it was only 15 miles back. The ride was 1 group and non stop. They had police at every intersection and roundabout. I couldn't take pictures. If you stopped, you were out of it.

When I returned to camp, I tried to find someone that might help me with shipping my bike home. I just missed the truck driver that transports the demo bikes for Harley. So, I went to bed early hoping to get an early start in the morning.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #341
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8-25-13 488 miles 17503 total

I rode out of Aviemore a little before 7am.I went to Inverness and stopped at the castle. Now it's the police department and court house. I wouldn't advise going out of your way to see it. Then I rode south following Loch Ness for about 20 miles going to an area named Skye. The road goes through mountains and along many lakes.

And I passed a few old castles.

Eilean Donan Castle.

And this is called Kilt Rock.

Then I rode south. I'm guessing I'll probably be shipping the bike from the London area. I won't get much shipping information tomorrow. It's a national holiday.

I found most hotels full or $130+. I'm in Gretna, Scotland at the very nice Maple Tree Guest House-$76.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #342
OverFT5
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Amazing ride

Hey, it's been an amazing ride. Thanks for having us along. I guess within a couple weeks you'll be home!!!
OverFT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #343
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm hoping less than 1 week.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #344
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8-26-13 174 miles 17677 total

I rode into Liverpool today. Not much I could do about the bike shipping today since it's a national holiday. Bankers Day. They say it's like our 4th of July. So I went to some of the Beatles tourist spots. The first was The Cavern Club. They say this is where they got started.

I think they played at other places here on Mathews Street.

Then I found Paul McCartney's childhood house.

Next stop was Strawberry Field. It was an Orphanage in the near neighborhood.

Then I went to Penny Lane.

Then I found the Campanile Hotel-$86. Because of the name, I thought I was going to a campground. I decided I could waste some more money. So I stayed.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #345
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

8-27-13 50 miles 17723 total

Today I was going to Wallenius Wilhelms office at the Liverpool Port. They haven't answered my e-mail yet and didn't answer my phone call. So I'm going in person. It's a 15 minute ride.

On the way I thought I'd try to find John Lennon's childhood house again. This time I'd stop and ask people where it was. I rode up on a sidewalk and asked a young couple if they knew. They turned around and pointed to a plaque behind them. I was there.

Then I rode to Wallenius Wilhelms office. A man there said it was too late to ship it Thursday. But I could have it sailing on Sunday. I need to fill out a short form and give him 680. That's a little over $1200. It's less than 1/2 what air freight costs. The cost for air freight is more than the bike is worth.

I think I'm going to take a ferry to Dublin and fly home from there. And the ferry is walking distance from the place I leave the motorcycle for loading.

The form I need to fill out wants a name and address for the shipper with an address in the U.K. Not sure what to do with that one.

I need to drop the bike off by Thursday at noon. So, I've got wheels till I go. I'm staying at Hatters Hostel- $36 the first night. $24 the second night. Sharing a small room with 3 others. It has it's own shower and toilet in the room.