Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #121
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandydancer View Post
Hey I can go over and make sure your Harley gets some miles on it.
What are friends for
Marvin
I was hoping someone would keep the battery charged up for me.No one offered, so my wife asked my son to do it. But you could put some time on my lawn mower if you want.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #122
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6-19-13
A quiet day here. I got my hair cut today. It's been warmer here, and I don't like sweaty hair. Andrey went with me or I wouldn't have found the place. The woman washed my hair first. Then I moved to the red chair. It cost 250 rubles-a ruble is about 3 cents.

Later I went to the магазин-store. Power Aide, peach juice, Lays Chips, and gum. I've been here about 6 times now.

About 1130pm Sasha says tour. Okay. Me, him, and Mrs. Sasha get in the van and go-somewhere. We stopped at a fountain that had lights on the water nozzles. Looks nice at night.

Next we went to the grocery store. Clean and modern. I remember hearing how the Russian stores all had empty shelves and people had to take what ever was left. Out of the city the stores are tiny. But they usually are at home too.

After leaving the grocery, we stopped by an old Russian tank.Down a flight of steps, I realized it is a WWII memorial. I've seen a lot of WWII memorials. Russia lost 14 million people in the war.1/8 of their population.

A few days ago I told Stas I needed to find a hotel. I couldn't keep intruding on their family. He chuckled and told his mom.She swung her arm and said something that could only be interpreted as a definite NO. I thought I was starting WWIII.Later in the day after having a little trouble getting money from an ATM, they were going to drive me to another ATM. I said the money was no big rush. I just wanted to start getting money out for my repair bill.Sasha said there would be no bill. We argued this for a while. Finally I said okay. But there would be money under a pillow or sheet or something when I left. I've been here 5 nights already. And who knows how much longer I'll be here. Eaten all my meals here, had laundry done for me twice, been taken on tours, he pulled my motor out and split the cases, and will put it back together. Now I have to put a value on it.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #123
gandydancer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
re

Lets see. I believe you have a son who is younger than me.

Tell him to meet me at your place and I would be happy to instruct him in grass cutting for just one beer.

Tell your Russian friends that we are impressed with there generosity and kindness, and I hope that if they are ever over here we can do the same.

Marvin
gandydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #124
GSdiablo
cubical farmer

Oddometer: 695
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
I was hoping someone would keep the battery charged up for me.No one offered, so my wife asked my son to do it. But you could put some time on my lawn mower if you want.

Lawn mower, Harley not being ridden, Broken down KLR, sigh this is almost too easy

So.... maybe we sell the harley, use the funds to ship the mower to Russia(complete ride on mower) and we make the KLR a purple fountain? Just trying to come up with ideas Glad to hear your health has improved. Note: Keep OIL in mower, its there for a reason. BAD things happen when its not there. Needless to say, I'm enjoying your report. Greg
Old 06-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #125
moto_dmitriy
que?

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_bear View Post
Doogle-
I am stuck in Kemerovo with a bad clutch on DR650. I had friends send parts from Germany. There are some VERY BIG MISTAKES that can be made to get parts into Russia.
1. Only ship something from a Person to another Person. If you go Company to Company the paperwork is endless. DO NOT mix people >> Company, or vice versa.
2. Expect 10-15 times the vaule of parts for customs tarrif.
3. It takes forever.
4. Try to find something,anything that will work instead of importing parts.
5. Be very patient. It took me 3 days,20+ telephone calls, just to get where the package is.
6. The local bike shops do not want to have anything to do with goverment or customs - too much bother and bureacracy red tape (papers, stamps, notary, custom agent, $$$$$$, etc).
7. Tony P also suggests parts out of original packaging, just wrapped. You still declare "clutch, bearings, whatever", just make it low-key.

This just my experience. If you find different, you must not be in Russia. The bike folks will help all they can and some of these folks can just do wonders. I would like to share info on friendly bike places, MC clubs, I know some in Kemerovo, Novosibirsk, Omsk, and Moscow.

Anyway, I have had limited internet, so I write all my daily RideNotes and have all photos numbered. I will put it on ADVrider when I get back to US. I just can't deal with some of the internet/non-wifi/slow stuff with photos.

I did get a B-line USB-Modem and it works out here in SIber and the "east". It is the best choice, I am told for this stuff.
Anyone else with contacts can chime in or send email message to me. I will share.
wb

My experience with shipping from US via USPS:
1. use Express Mail International only, it will cost more but stuff will get there quicker
2. Sheremetevo customs can take ages even if nothing is wrong, (if possible ship to Kazakhstan it only takes 1 week - 10 days via Express Mail int)
3. write были использованы (used items) on the parts
4. declare / insure under 1k (total) to forgo the customs duty.
5. Size restriction via USPS is 79inches L+2H+2W

Good luck subscribed
moto_dmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #126
white_bear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Pm

PM and email sent to Doogle.
white_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #127
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSdiablo View Post
Lawn mower, Harley not being ridden, Broken down KLR, sigh this is almost too easy

So.... maybe we sell the harley, use the funds to ship the mower to Russia(complete ride on mower) and we make the KLR a purple fountain? Just trying to come up with ideas Glad to hear your health has improved. Note: Keep OIL in mower, its there for a reason. BAD things happen when its not there. Needless to say, I'm enjoying your report. Greg
It's about time for you two to head south, isn't it.Sell the house, forget about grass cutting, and you'll have plenty of funds for your trip.

Good to hear from you.
Doug
Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #128
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto_dmitriy View Post

My experience with shipping from US via USPS:
1. use Express Mail International only, it will cost more but stuff will get there quicker
2. Sheremetevo customs can take ages even if nothing is wrong, (if possible ship to Kazakhstan it only takes 1 week - 10 days via Express Mail int)
3. write были использованы (used items) on the parts
4. declare / insure under 1k (total) to forgo the customs duty.
5. Size restriction via USPS is 79inches L+2H+2W

Good luck subscribed
It has already been shipped.Its out of my hands now.It's USPS Express International flat rate.Tried to send the fastest/most expensive way.Not an option here. They said it wouldn't be much faster anyway.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #129
blackcaps
Do it alone

Oddometer: 98
Within two weeks or so i will be in Ulan Ude and would like to visit the bikers in their clubhouse. Could you give gps coordinates please? Hope your parts come soon.
Travelled to Ural mountains in 2007. Travelled to Siberia in 2008. Travelled to Baikal and Mongolia in 2009. Travelled to Altai and Mongolia in 2010. Travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2011. Travelled to Russia and Siberia in 2012. Travelled to Siberia, 'Dalnie Vostok' and Sachalin in 2013.
blackcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #130
Lindbeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Lindbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #131
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

6-20-13
Nothing going on here today. Andrey asked if I wanted to go swimming with him and Stas. I'll go, but not swim.So off we go.Me and Andrey on a 50cc Racer scooter and Stas on his 1000cc Suzuki. That scooter has about 3" of suspension, and we compress 2"of it as soon as we sit on it.My heels barely touch the footboards.10 minutes through rush hour traffic. That isn't too bad. Close your eyes and pray.Then 20 minutes over rutted dirt and sand.One bump had both feet in the air, and my butt about 4"off the seat.I grabbed Andrey like a baby monkey grabs his mother. Sorry. We met Stas at a bridge. I don't know why he came a different way. Probably so he could cross this bridge.

Here's the poor little creature I was riding.

And Stas's Suzuki with the thin tread for better traction. Note the bar on the back to stand on when he isn't standing on the seat.

And the ole swimming hole to beat the heat.I think it is the Senega River. There were a lot of people along the shores of this river.

I am surprised and grateful that these 21 year old guys include me in so many things.

I wondered if Stas had any brothers or sisters. His13-14 year old brother just walked into my room. No English. There is also another younger brother that lives in Roma. I don't ask too many questions. Possibly divorced parents.

Doogle screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 04:58 AM
Old 06-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #132
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcaps View Post
Within two weeks or so i will be in Ulan Ude and would like to visit the bikers in their clubhouse. Could you give gps coordinates please? Hope your parts come soon.
PM sent
Old 06-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #133
gandydancer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
re

Doug We got to have a picture of you on the back of that scooter.

Marvin
gandydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #134
thecanoeguy
just a yobbo from oz

Oddometer: 1,826
glad to see he likes to get full use out of his rear tyre ,not wasting it by getting a new one while its still got rubber left
thecanoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #135
Doogle OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandydancer View Post
Doug We got to have a picture of you on the back of that scooter.

Marvin
Not likely to be repeated. I don't know how many times it bottomed out. But it was lke a pile driver hitting my back. I saw stars a couple times.