ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
mb300 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Crossing Carrizo Plain Natl Monument - Elkhorn Road

Hello Everyone,

GF is going to drop me off in Frazier Park and meet me in Paso Robles.

I'll be on my 525exc in supermoto trim (michelin pilot street tires).

If I take Elkhorn Grade up the hill and Elkhorn Rd across how much loose sand will I run into on steep hills?

I can do steep hills with loose rock no problem.
I can do deep sand on the flats no problem.
I probably can't do steep hills and deep sand together without knobs.

Also, any idea how long it would take to cross Carrizo?

It's 40 miles or so. Google says 2.25hrs by car.

I'll probably be covering ground much faster - is a 25mph ave speed reasonable for Elkhorn Rd or is it much slower than that across the plain?
Attached Images

100% stock 525exc (except wheels, forks, shock, triple clamp, carb, brakes, swingarm, tank, seat, and plastic).
mb300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Sounds like you're a capable rider so you'll have no problem with the bit of sand that is on Elkhorn.. Sometimes S turns seem to come out of nowhere so not having knobbies would cut down your braking action if you hit them too hot.

An hour and a half to 2 hours max to get up through the Plains to highway 58 sounds about right. Gas up in Maricopa, no gas until 101 depending on if you're going Pozo Road (dirt) or the other paved routes. Watch the temperatures and no water at the KCL or Selby campgrounds right now. Bring more water than you think. Not many people out there due to the heat and dryness right now.
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
mb300 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Thank you sir!

I normally won't ride solo in the heat but in this case I think I'll be OK-- I can tell the GF "if I'm not at this specific point by this specific time backtrack on this specific road and come get my busted arse."

100% stock 525exc (except wheels, forks, shock, triple clamp, carb, brakes, swingarm, tank, seat, and plastic).
mb300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:27 PM   #4
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Area best left for winter and spring. 100 plus temps and dry as Hell. Unless you do it early in the morning and at least have some nice color from the sunrise, I can't see doing it mid day. Good luck.
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Other option is Soda Lake Road all the way. 47 miles of dirt road that even I was bookin' it at 55-75 mph until the turn off to Pozo. We had a couple of riders that broke the hundred mark on that road
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,260
You won't have any problems, save for the heat. Are you coming down to Hwy 33 from Frazier Park? If so, there is gas available in Ventucopa, about 5 miles south of the intersection of 33 and Hwy 166. It will be on your left at the Pistacio farm. After you pass "The Place" cafe on your left, start looking for it.

There won't be much in the way of hills on Elkhorn Rd except for the very first part where you turn off Soda Lake Road. SLR is still paved at that point.. look for the sign. If you get to the turn off for Pipeline road, you went too far North. There is hill to cross to get over to Elkhorn, but it's not bad at all.

Also.. Soda Lake Road isn't all dirt. There are actually only about 20 miles of dirt on that side. The first 9 miles or so are paved all the way up to Hanline Ranch, then it goes to dirt. There's a 1 mile paved section at Traver Ranch, then back to dirt until you get just north of Panorama Road.

Check my map in the link below. If you do, in fact, take the Elkhorn side, be sure to stop at Wallace Creek and take the short hike up to the fault line and check out the creek there. Interesting geological feature, and decent spot for a butt break as there is a small parking area off the road.

Ditto on previous posts about water. You should have enough gas to get you to Santa Margarita (where Hwy 58 and 101 meet). It's not Death Valley heat, but you'll be warm and lose plenty of water while riding. Err on the side of abundance with the water.

Elkhorn is actually a pretty fast road. Somewhere, there are signs that indicate the maximum speed within the monument as 35 mph. You probably will do better than that, and should be able to make the whole run in an hour and a half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb300 View Post
Hello Everyone,

GF is going to drop me off in Frazier Park and meet me in Paso Robles.

I'll be on my 525exc in supermoto trim (michelin pilot street tires).

If I take Elkhorn Grade up the hill and Elkhorn Rd across how much loose sand will I run into on steep hills?

I can do steep hills with loose rock no problem.
I can do deep sand on the flats no problem.
I probably can't do steep hills and deep sand together without knobs.

Also, any idea how long it would take to cross Carrizo?

It's 40 miles or so. Google says 2.25hrs by car.

I'll probably be covering ground much faster - is a 25mph ave speed reasonable for Elkhorn Rd or is it much slower than that across the plain?
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 694 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote