ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Oddometer: 12
Looking for Dualsport trails in Big Bear area

Looking for some mellow beginner trails with camping available in the area.
Wife is riding the rather chubby 2014 CRF250L and she needs some confidence boosting mellow trails.
Ideally a nice little campground that we can trailer bikes to and then spend a day or two exploring.
Appreciate any info/links/maps etc..
Both our bikes are plated.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,325
There are quite a few campgrounds in the area and on the back roads. Holcomb Valley CG, Big Pine Flat CG, Hanna Flat CG. I like Serrano Campground on the north side of the lake by the observatory because it's easy access and has bathrooms and showers.

The whole area on the north side of the lake has easy fire roads. Get a AAA Big Bear map or you can get a Franko's map which is WAY more detailed. Google Franko Maps....

The south side of the lake has 2N10 which is a great dirt road and splinters off in a few directions. Keep your eyes open for fast vehicles and watch the blind corners.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race View Post
There are quite a few campgrounds in the area and on the back roads. Holcomb Valley CG, Big Pine Flat CG, Hanna Flat CG. I like Serrano Campground on the north side of the lake by the observatory because it's easy access and has bathrooms and showers.

The whole area on the north side of the lake has easy fire roads. Get a AAA Big Bear map or you can get a Franko's map which is WAY more detailed. Google Franko Maps....

The south side of the lake has 2N10 which is a great dirt road and splinters off in a few directions. Keep your eyes open for fast vehicles and watch the blind corners.
Wow nice thanks Luv2race-GREAT INFO! Used Francos lots of times for mountain bikes and didnt even think to look there-the forest service sites and other gov sites are useless. Its almost like they dont want you there...
Old 04-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
VanXR
nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/

Oddometer: 509
SOOOO many great trails up there. Luv2race already gave you the answers. Deep Creek area and Bear Creek are my favorites.
1978 TT500 (Original owner); 07 Yamaha WR450 street legal;03 XR 250 street legal (Mrs. XR); CRF 150R (Jr. XR)
VanXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanXR View Post
SOOOO many great trails up there. Luv2race already gave you the answers. Deep Creek area and Bear Creek are my favorites.
I noticed you have a MsXR-my wife is new to motos in general-she small but strong. Wish the Honda wasnt such a porker-300+ pounds!
Does your wife like the mellower side of the mountain and area in general?
Old 04-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #6
Dangerish
I fall a lot

Oddometer: 209
One of my favorite mellow loops is 1N09, from 330 to the 38. Once you hit Glass Rd. You can either head up along the river to Clark's Grade or Wildhorse meadows, which will take you to Big Bear, or else back down to Angeles Oaks via Middle Control Rd.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
Socaldualer OP
DualsportDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerish View Post
One of my favorite mellow loops is 1N09, from 330 to the 38. Once you hit Glass Rd. You can either head up along the river to Clark's Grade or Wildhorse meadows, which will take you to Big Bear, or else back down to Angeles Oaks via Middle Control Rd.
sorry dumb question is that road dirt?