ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #241
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept
 
Motomochila's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: N 34 22.573' W 118 34.328' Jes North of LA a few.
Oddometer: 791
Hey Lance, you know Peter York?
__________________
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2014 EXC500, 2012 BMW GTL1600 and 16 other motorcycle projects in various stages of completion. It's an addiction thing.
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #242
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Hey Lance, you know Peter York?
From Malibu?
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #243
refokus
Just Learning
 
refokus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: North Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
From Malibu?
I thought Peter York was from the Monkeys...........
__________________
"Single Trac is like Scotch, you have to aquire a taste for it!"
refokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #244
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister
 
Ladybug0048's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
Oddometer: 10,547
On the DVD there is a cook table shown. Can someone tell me what brand/model it is and where it can be found?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #245
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept
 
Motomochila's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: N 34 22.573' W 118 34.328' Jes North of LA a few.
Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
From Malibu?
Yep Malibu. He and I just finished sections 1 and 2. Holed up in benson again and heading north tomorrow morning. Staying at Days Inn. Didn't see a soul on the route except 30-40 border patrol.

Weather is perfect. The route is fantastic except for the sand section. My pig tossed me twice in the soft stuff. No witnesses but the jackrabbits so no pics of my ballet dance.
__________________
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2014 EXC500, 2012 BMW GTL1600 and 16 other motorcycle projects in various stages of completion. It's an addiction thing.
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #246
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept
 
Motomochila's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: N 34 22.573' W 118 34.328' Jes North of LA a few.
Oddometer: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I thought Peter York was from the Monkeys...........
Based on his performance today, I'd say you're right, but nope. Pete's from that foreign country known as Malibu.
__________________
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2014 EXC500, 2012 BMW GTL1600 and 16 other motorcycle projects in various stages of completion. It's an addiction thing.
Motomochila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #247
OldtimerTC
XR650L
 
OldtimerTC's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere Between Arizona and Colorado
Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Yep Malibu. He and I just finished sections 1 and 2. Holed up in benson again and heading north tomorrow morning. Staying at Days Inn. Didn't see a soul on the route except 30-40 border patrol.

Weather is perfect. The route is fantastic except for the sand section. My pig tossed me twice in the soft stuff. No witnesses but the jackrabbits so no pics of my ballet dance.
You guys still on the route ? How was the climb up Pioneer pass on the Big Bikes ?
__________________
Live to ride, ride to live !
Cruelsport
Member AMA
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #248
Afry
Why hike?
 
Afry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ramona, Ca
Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
On the DVD there is a cook table shown. Can someone tell me what brand/model it is and where it can be found?
Looks like the GSI micro table, Snowpeak has one to called the ozen solo.
__________________
KTM 950 SE
KTM 525 EXC X2


Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #249
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldtimerTC View Post
How was the climb up Pioneer pass on the Big Bikes ?
I wouldn't call it a climb, just a rocky road. It was bad enough that I scouted an Adv bike bypass. There are many places where there are good dirt road bypasses for pavement and also several more interesting or views, and more suited to Dual Sport bikes.

Attached is file with several bypasses.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx AZBDR Options..gpx (1.74 MB, 27 views)
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #250
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister
 
Ladybug0048's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
Oddometer: 10,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Looks like the GSI micro table, Snowpeak has one to called the ozen solo.
Thanks
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #251
OldtimerTC
XR650L
 
OldtimerTC's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere Between Arizona and Colorado
Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I wouldn't call it a climb, just a rocky road. It was bad enough that I scouted an Adv bike bypass. There are many places where there are good dirt road bypasses for pavement and also several more interesting or views, and more suited to Dual Sport bikes.

Attached is file with several bypasses.
Going up 4000 feet in elevation isnt climbing to you ?

What would be a climb, Everest ? lol

Thanks for the Alt's, but we plan to stick to the Route as laid out...
__________________
Live to ride, ride to live !
Cruelsport
Member AMA
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #252
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldtimerTC View Post
Going up 4000 feet in elevation isnt climbing to you ?
To me "Climb" is angle or % grade, nothing to do with total elevation change. I just remember loose rocks not steep climb. There also some gates and "No Trespassing" signs along that route, it wouldn't hurt have the option loaded in your GPS just in case gates are closed.

Also take a look at my bypass for north of Globe. Don't know why they used main highway 188 when there are some great parallel back roads that are much more fun and interesting.

Also right at the start, the Fray Marcos monument is really historic. This is the place where the first Europeans entered what is now the US.

Also, north of Young, there is no need to get on Hwy 260, you can turn left on the old rim road and then just cross Hwy 260 on it.

There are also some great views and more fun (less rocks) jeep roads on the South Rim of the GC.

After GC, there is no need to ride much of Hwy 89 before and after Camron. There are more fun and interesting dirt roads that parallel it (have your Navajo permit).

After crossing the Colorado, there are more great views and jeep roads that bypass more of Hwy 89.

The less time I spend on main highways with motorhomes, 5th wheels, boat trailers, and foreigners in rental cars the better.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #253
ceke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Sandiegostan
Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
To me "Climb" is angle or % grade, nothing to do with total elevation change. I just remember loose rocks not steep climb. There also some gates and "No Trespassing" signs along that route, it wouldn't hurt have the option loaded in your GPS just in case gates are closed.

Also take a look at my bypass for north of Globe. Don't know why they used main highway 188 when there are some great parallel back roads that are much more fun and interesting.

Also right at the start, the Fray Marcos monument is really historic. This is the place where the first Europeans entered what is now the US.

Also, north of Young, there is no need to get on Hwy 260, you can turn left on the old rim road and then just cross Hwy 260 on it.

There are also some great views and more fun (less rocks) jeep roads on the South Rim of the GC.

After GC, there is no need to ride much of Hwy 89 before and after Camron. There are more fun and interesting dirt roads that parallel it (have your Navajo permit).

After crossing the Colorado, there are more great views and jeep roads that bypass more of Hwy 89.

The less time I spend on main highways with motorhomes, 5th wheels, boat trailers, and foreigners in rental cars the better.
Thanks Countdown, those sound like some great alternates. I'll check them out when I get back out there this summer.
__________________
96 DR350, 05 DL1000
minimalistmoto.com
ceke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #254
OldtimerTC
XR650L
 
OldtimerTC's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere Between Arizona and Colorado
Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
To me "Climb" is angle or % grade, nothing to do with total elevation change. I just remember loose rocks not steep climb. There also some gates and "No Trespassing" signs along that route, it wouldn't hurt have the option loaded in your GPS just in case gates are closed.

Also take a look at my bypass for north of Globe. Don't know why they used main highway 188 when there are some great parallel back roads that are much more fun and interesting.

Also right at the start, the Fray Marcos monument is really historic. This is the place where the first Europeans entered what is now the US.

Also, north of Young, there is no need to get on Hwy 260, you can turn left on the old rim road and then just cross Hwy 260 on it.

There are also some great views and more fun (less rocks) jeep roads on the South Rim of the GC.

After GC, there is no need to ride much of Hwy 89 before and after Camron. There are more fun and interesting dirt roads that parallel it (have your Navajo permit).

After crossing the Colorado, there are more great views and jeep roads that bypass more of Hwy 89.

The less time I spend on main highways with motorhomes, 5th wheels, boat trailers, and foreigners in rental cars the better.
Thanks Jerry....we will give it a go. Have to get from Bisbee to the Utah Border and back to Morman lake in 5 days....hope we have time to get pictures .
__________________
Live to ride, ride to live !
Cruelsport
Member AMA
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #255
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast
 
Reidy008's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Peoria, AZ
Oddometer: 1,975
5 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldtimerTC View Post
Thanks Jerry....we will give it a go. Have to get from Bisbee to the Utah Border and back to Morman lake in 5 days....hope we have time to get pictures .
We could do it in two mate.... ride hard
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014