ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #241
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 791
Hey Lance, you know Peter York?
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #242
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Hey Lance, you know Peter York?
From Malibu?
Old 04-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #243
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
From Malibu?
I thought Peter York was from the Monkeys...........
Old 04-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #244
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,547
On the DVD there is a cook table shown. Can someone tell me what brand/model it is and where it can be found?
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #245
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Quote:
From Malibu?
Yep Malibu. He and I just finished sections 1 and 2. Holed up in benson again and heading north tomorrow morning. Staying at Days Inn. Didn't see a soul on the route except 30-40 border patrol.

Weather is perfect. The route is fantastic except for the sand section. My pig tossed me twice in the soft stuff. No witnesses but the jackrabbits so no pics of my ballet dance.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #246
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I thought Peter York was from the Monkeys...........
Based on his performance today, I'd say you're right, but nope. Pete's from that foreign country known as Malibu.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 AM   #247
OldtimerTC
XR650L

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Yep Malibu. He and I just finished sections 1 and 2. Holed up in benson again and heading north tomorrow morning. Staying at Days Inn. Didn't see a soul on the route except 30-40 border patrol.

Weather is perfect. The route is fantastic except for the sand section. My pig tossed me twice in the soft stuff. No witnesses but the jackrabbits so no pics of my ballet dance.
You guys still on the route ? How was the climb up Pioneer pass on the Big Bikes ?
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #248
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048 View Post
On the DVD there is a cook table shown. Can someone tell me what brand/model it is and where it can be found?
Looks like the GSI micro table, Snowpeak has one to called the ozen solo.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:32 AM   #249
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldtimerTC View Post
How was the climb up Pioneer pass on the Big Bikes ?
I wouldn't call it a climb, just a rocky road. It was bad enough that I scouted an Adv bike bypass. There are many places where there are good dirt road bypasses for pavement and also several more interesting or views, and more suited to Dual Sport bikes.

Attached is file with several bypasses.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx AZBDR Options..gpx (1.74 MB, 27 views)
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #250
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afry View Post
Looks like the GSI micro table, Snowpeak has one to called the ozen solo.
Thanks
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #251
OldtimerTC
XR650L

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a climb, just a rocky road. It was bad enough that I scouted an Adv bike bypass. There are many places where there are good dirt road bypasses for pavement and also several more interesting or views, and more suited to Dual Sport bikes.

Attached is file with several bypasses.
Going up 4000 feet in elevation isnt climbing to you ?

What would be a climb, Everest ? lol

Thanks for the Alt's, but we plan to stick to the Route as laid out...
Member COHVO
Old 05-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #252
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Going up 4000 feet in elevation isnt climbing to you ?
To me "Climb" is angle or % grade, nothing to do with total elevation change. I just remember loose rocks not steep climb. There also some gates and "No Trespassing" signs along that route, it wouldn't hurt have the option loaded in your GPS just in case gates are closed.

Also take a look at my bypass for north of Globe. Don't know why they used main highway 188 when there are some great parallel back roads that are much more fun and interesting.

Also right at the start, the Fray Marcos monument is really historic. This is the place where the first Europeans entered what is now the US.

Also, north of Young, there is no need to get on Hwy 260, you can turn left on the old rim road and then just cross Hwy 260 on it.

There are also some great views and more fun (less rocks) jeep roads on the South Rim of the GC.

After GC, there is no need to ride much of Hwy 89 before and after Camron. There are more fun and interesting dirt roads that parallel it (have your Navajo permit).

After crossing the Colorado, there are more great views and jeep roads that bypass more of Hwy 89.

The less time I spend on main highways with motorhomes, 5th wheels, boat trailers, and foreigners in rental cars the better.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #253
ceke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
To me "Climb" is angle or % grade, nothing to do with total elevation change. I just remember loose rocks not steep climb. There also some gates and "No Trespassing" signs along that route, it wouldn't hurt have the option loaded in your GPS just in case gates are closed.

Also take a look at my bypass for north of Globe. Don't know why they used main highway 188 when there are some great parallel back roads that are much more fun and interesting.

Also right at the start, the Fray Marcos monument is really historic. This is the place where the first Europeans entered what is now the US.

Also, north of Young, there is no need to get on Hwy 260, you can turn left on the old rim road and then just cross Hwy 260 on it.

There are also some great views and more fun (less rocks) jeep roads on the South Rim of the GC.

After GC, there is no need to ride much of Hwy 89 before and after Camron. There are more fun and interesting dirt roads that parallel it (have your Navajo permit).

After crossing the Colorado, there are more great views and jeep roads that bypass more of Hwy 89.

The less time I spend on main highways with motorhomes, 5th wheels, boat trailers, and foreigners in rental cars the better.
Thanks Countdown, those sound like some great alternates. I'll check them out when I get back out there this summer.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:25 PM   #254
OldtimerTC
XR650L

Quote:

Thanks Jerry....we will give it a go. Have to get from Bisbee to the Utah Border and back to Morman lake in 5 days....hope we have time to get pictures .
Member COHVO
Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #255
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,975
5 Days

Quote:
Thanks Jerry....we will give it a go. Have to get from Bisbee to the Utah Border and back to Morman lake in 5 days....hope we have time to get pictures .
We could do it in two mate.... ride hard
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote