wilkinsonk OP
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 644
2014 Pharaons Rally, Egypt

2014 Pharaons Rally, Egypt

Round 3 of the 2014 FIM Cross Country World Championships

18-25 May

http://www.pharaonsrally.com/en/rally/

Back from scouting in order to verify the track of the coming 2014 Pharaons Rally, our “reco team” tells you that this year is dedicated to the pleasure of driving over different types of terrains and also to the pleasure of sight.

Actually the route will roll over a beautiful variety of terrains, over a rhythm that allows to show the technical skills of the vehicle and of its crew. It will reward more the quality of the driver than the risk taken and the high speed.

The scrutineering and the start of the Pharaons Rally will take place in the town of El Gouna, on the shore of the Red Sea. A small Egyptian "Las Vegas", El Gouna is a comfortable beach resort that offers many water sports for tourists. In order to arrange the best “place” for everyone at the start of the race, we have the pleasure to propose a prologue on the sea shore, that will be also an enjoyable moment for all the town residents.

Ss1: "From the sea to the Nile": (El Gouna – Luxor) We leave the East of Egypt to cross a first range of mountains that runs along the Red Sea in order to reach a second range of mountains that runs along the Nile Valley from North to South up to the town of Qena. We mean the mountain range that holds many volcanic traces. The track we take from North to South – at Cap change – is an ancient track of camel caravans. It’s the track that links the Upper Egypt with the Red Sea, that will take the Pharaons Rally competitors to slalom down the great canyons or among the mountains massifs, over a terrain sometimes rocky, sometimes sandy. Leg arrival is at the fabulous town of Luxor.

Ss2: From the Nile to no man's land: (Luxor - Dakhla) This passage from South of Egypt toward West crosses the ancient tracks that connect the Upper Egypt and the Western oasis and it marks an important change of scenery. The mountain range from the Red Sea formed during the volcanic activity will take us over a terrain more open like plateau, mainly made of sedimentary rocks (sandstone, limestone, …), among or below which we will trace our route in off road or over tracks often sandy, with crossing of the first dunes. A delight for our navigators. Arrival of the leg in Dakhla for a marvelous bivouac among mountains and oasis.

Ss3: Cap North: (Dakhla – Baharia) Climb toward North, from the Western Desert or Libyque Desert (not to be confused with the Libyan Desert), always over sedimentary sandstone, limestone and crystals (calcite, …) that witness the sea has covered this region 30 million years ago… We take one of the most ancient tracks of this region for about twenty kilometers. It has been a great track that linked the Dakhla and Farafra Oasis. Certainly the historical cairns along the route are extraordinary and well set to locate the track. Specials very varied, among mountain passes, navigation and off road through massifs, plateau and sea sand, and also crossing of dunes. Arrival of the leg at Baharia for 2 days bivouac.

Ss4: The pleasure of the Egyptian dunes: (Baharia-Baharia) The oasis of Baharia has been the centre of the camel caravans passage. Those caravan were carrying mainly salt and gold from Sudan and Chad, to sell them in Egypt. Around the Baharia oasis, the Lybique Desert (where the traces from the sea are all over: limestone, calcite, iron oxide, …) will be the scenery of a special made of long crossing in off road sometimes technical, within and through ranges and depressions, varying with many passages of beautiful dunes chains where the quality of the crew can make the difference.

Ss5: From the Oasis to the Pyramids: (Baharia – Cairo) We leave the Libyque Desert depressions to get over the Giza plateau at the meeting with the Nile Valley. We ascend through quite a wide vision for a special that is featured by long crossing in sandy off road sometimes bouncing, very amusing where the navigation must be precise to get to the centre of Cairo where it will be celebrated the traditional arrival of the race over the Pyramids site.

Five legs within a majestic landscape, very varied as only the Egyptian desert can be proud of. Where the sections of the hard track sometimes rocky will leave the nice spot to the sand that is sometimes in form of stony track or off road, and sometimes under the shape of huge dunes chains quite supporting and very amusing to cross. Without forgetting the bivouacs that are the source of reputation for the Pharaons Rally: traditional, but also very comfortable, we have set them once more in spots where the pleasure of senses will be whole jointly with the pleasure of sight…

Scouting photos (beautiful landscapes for sure!):

http://www.pharaonsrally.com/en/mult...2014-scouting/

wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
wilkinsonk OP
Riff Raff

Looking forward to keeping the rally ball rolling. This year's FIM Cross Country Championship may actually shape up to be a contest!

Ha! Take that, spoke to soon. HRC looks to be sitting out this one and will next race in June. If KTM doesn't show in Egypt, this one's a wash.

From the official HRC press release following the Qatar round:

"Team HRC's next port of call will be in Europe with the Sardinia Rally Race, the fourth in the World Championship calendar, to be held on the picturesque Italian island."

wilkinsonk screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 05:49 PM
Old 04-25-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
In! I drove some of the western desert in the mid 80's in a Jeep and loved it. This is one of my favorite places in the world and I am looking forward to seeing how this rally plays out.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
wilkinsonk OP
Riff Raff

Doesn't look like KTM is heading to Egypt either. A race for the privateers then? Maybe last year's cancelation, coupled with current atmosphere in Cairo, has damaged this one?

From Marc Coma's post-Qatar press release:

"For us, the next race is in Sardinia, where we try to get the win."
Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Doesn't look like KTM is heading to Egypt either. A race for the privateers then? Maybe last year's cancelation, coupled with current atmosphere in Cairo, has damaged this one?

From Marc Coma's post-Qatar press release:

"For us, the next race is in Sardinia, where we try to get the win."
I'm sure it will be security concerns and with only 5 out of 6 rally's counting the other 5 take on greater significance.

Last year Brazil counted double also, so I expect that all the contenders will be there!
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #6
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Well that's a bummer.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
The reason is the classic logistics in Arabic countries - it was promised to be a round trip Abu Dhabi - Qatar - Cairo, but all stopped after Qatar. HRC / Speedbrain (and also complete X-raid) had all the stuff with them in Doha and after the boat cancelation the decision of skipping this one came (none felt like driving through Saudi's). The KTM uses airfreight, but they had no rush to go Cairo when HRC pulled out. So it will be privateers only race - I'll be there with Salvatierra and Jordi's Pedrega team. It is actually great possibility to do result when the big league is not there.
690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,282
I don't think I would race in that tense atmosphere either. Sad though I have gotten used to seeing Coma up on the Podium near the Pyramids

on another note... Jordi's the man when it comes to rally...... period.

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #9
wilkinsonk OP
Riff Raff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
(none felt like driving through Saudi's)

But the drive from Dammam to Jeddah is awesome! It's worth doing (once).

wilkinsonk screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 05:58 AM
Old 05-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #10
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
But the drive from Dammam to Jeddah is awesome! It's work doing (once).
You're kidding right ? Riyadh to Jeddah was a bore (except for the Crater). Damman - Riyadh was no better...

and with the MERS scare, i'm quite sure nobody can convince the teams to drive through Jeddah.
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #11
wilkinsonk OP
Riff Raff

Agreed, that was really poor sarcasm. The only neat part on the drive is stopping on the mountain down from Taif to watch the baboons raid the garbage and harass people.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
Gian
dreamer

Oddometer: 1,067
Entry list available
http://www.pharaonsrally.com/media/m..._BIKE_2014.pdf

Salvatierra should have easy life in theory
Gian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
Entry list available
http://www.pharaonsrally.com/media/m..._BIKE_2014.pdf

Salvatierra should have easy life in theory
+ 1 on that, but have they built a bridge from Italy in the last year - never seen so many Italian riders in a rally event outside Sardegna
Old 05-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
wilkinsonk OP
Riff Raff

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
+ 1 on that, but have they built a bridge from Italy in the last year - never seen so many Italian riders in a rally event outside Sardegna
Yeah, the logistics package of Venice/Alexandria/Venice must have been pretty attractive for the home team.

I have to admit that my initial enthusiasm for this rally has waned with the big teams opting out.

too old, is Balooshi a big name back in the UAE? He must have deep pockets (or a friend with deep pockets).
Old 05-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Yeah, the logistics package of Venice/Alexandria/Venice must have been pretty attractive for the home team.

I have to admit that my initial enthusiasm for this rally has waned with the big teams opting out.

too old, is Balooshi a big name back in the UAE? He must have deep pockets (or a friend with deep pockets).
He's the top UAE rider (as in Emirati) with a local mx team and other interests - Red Bull Middle East, support from the local KTM outfit and I expect a few other backers as well?