Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
Yojimbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Corsica is relatively small, so you don't have to relocate every night. What makes the most sense is to stay a couple of days in the north, then a couple of days in the south. If you come from Genoa (actually Savona), stay in St Florent and do Cap Corse, the Deseret des Agrates, and (as suggested) the route from Calvi to Galeria, down the coast to Porto, and back to St. Florent. Then, relocate to Bonifacio in the south, and do Col de Bavella, Zonza, Allune etc. You might think about staying in the middle,of the island, and the most logical place would be Corte, but I've never found it very charming. You could do the Hotel Mont du Oro located on the Col de Vizzavona, which is sort of funky, but a beautiful area. Also, you should be able to do this "on the fly" meaning without reservations, and play it by ear. Again, I can reccomend the Hotel Dolce Notte in St. Florent, and the Hotel Solomare in Bonifacio. By sheer chance, I ended up staying at the Hotel Monte Rosa in Porto, which turned out to be a great find. So, hope this helps.
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
tekebird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Yojimbo,

looks like we will have 2 maybe 3 days on Corsica, with a night crossing on both ends

this is my doodle so far

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...,4,8,10,11&z=9

just not really sure how much mileage we can do with stopping to take pics, gawk at things etc.

My last trip to the England Wales and Scotland we were pretty good on planning but had a lot of help from guys from the Triumph Forum from the UK.

my concern on winging it lodging wise since we only have a short time is I don't want to run into a lodging issue at the end of a long day......we are also trying to do the trip on a budget.

basic plan is :

Day one : Cap Corse, trip inland to do D147 and back out to the coast to some overnight point south of Calvi (Galeria or Porto)

Day two move S on the West coast and overnight N of Bonifaco

Day Three back to Bastia

all in all that adds up to only 15 hours or so of riding.

Whats got me most torn is whether to stay at a small out of the way place or in one of the larger towns so if inclined there is something to do. Hotel Moteroso was on my option list

How do you think we will get by with English?

Hotel Solomar looks nice but we are trying to stay in the 100.00 US range
tekebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekebird View Post
We are looking to go the first week of SEPT and will have a week, but may not spend all the time on Corsica.....
Ambitious! When you say "a week" do you mean 7 days on the bike exclusive of first and last days (which will be closer to half days)?

I fear that you greatly overestimate what you can do mileage-wise in Europe unless you plan to stick to Autobahns or equivalent.

I'll be at Stefan's two weeks from today coaxing my bike back to life

For a 3 week ride
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Hello tekebird,
was on the island, two weeks ago and i beginn with your day three, 180 km on pretty roads, possible doing.
Day one is the typical first day on corsica. The hard thing is day two, many small roads which takes time.
The drive is very hard cause you have endless amounts off concentration and the heat over the day. Try to start early and and endure the cars bevore you ore let the cars behind you passing. They often know the roads better and beware off the police, but the cows on teh roads are more dangerous.
One thing, iff you are to late for the hotel, the camping grounds most have this kind off motorhome where you can stay.
English is nowadays most spoken by the youth ore the other tourists.
Mostly it is very sad for you, to have only three days.
Hans
hensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #20
tekebird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

7 full days on the bike, we did a bit over 2000 miles on our UK trip a few years ago (all planned) my speed estimates were pretty spot on and the only reason we go off my timeline is my one buddy was absurdly slow at getting ready ( in the morning, or any stop where we took our gear off) and at sights of interest is always slow as well.

Only two of us on this trip and both of us don't lollygag.

most of the trip I have planned behind schedule bailouts to make up time on faster routes.

I have not done the route on my GPS program yet t see what it comes up with but have been using Google maps for planning

Hensmen: Are the police very numerous on Corsica?

MichaelJ: Where are you headed?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #21
hensmen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Tekebird, the police did some controls on bikes, but mostly cause the island inmates drive to riscy. There are some spots with fixed cameras but you are warned with signs. Than there are some civil cars with radar. But with luggage one the bike, they let you go, if you cause no trouble.
Early driving on corsica is good because off the temperature, but you have the traffic with lorrys and peoples rushing to work, later in the the day another problem. Always in the smallest spot the tourist bus ore the motorhome from all over the world.
But i am very jealous, cause three days with only driving over Corsica, without
stopping at tourist shops and writing cards, that`s a dream. All that with a buddy, with the same driving conditiones, enjoy it.
Oh and take gas where ever you can and have an eye on the bike(a chaine to look bike and helmet) and your lugagge. But this problem exists not only on Corsica.
If you have the time on your last day, take the route from Porto Veccio to
Zonza and cross over Col de Bavella back to the east coast.
Just to have a peek in the corsican mountains and a wonderfull drive in the shadow off the trees.
You understand it, when you see my working horse, with we were there, two weeks ago. 185000 kilometers on the clock and still running.
Greetings from Hans
hensmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,718
Quote:
probably 2 days to the Ferry which will allow some passes and screwing around.
Depends how much of that is autobahn/autostrada (boring). Any serious twisty mountain roads chew up time, big time. Trust me!

I took the SS12 from Rovereto to Luca and then on to Livorno and that took about 8 hours with one photo break on Passo Abetone and numerous map checks.

Quote:
Overnight to Corsica
2-3 days on Corsica and then back to Heidleberg.
I slept on the Moby Lines ferry for the night and it left for Bastia at 09:00, arriving at 13:00. I didn't want to hunt down the ferry port in the morning.

2 to 3 days on Corscia? Way too short! Thats like only getting one scoop of ice cream. I spent 7 days there and I'm heading back for a week next time to finish off riding the island...that is if you ride most of the narrow and twisty D roads.

Livorno ferry port GPS: N43 33.248 E10 18.102

Bastia ferry port GPS: N42 42.216 E9 27.258

Places to stay:
Hotel Mare e Festa in Solenzara (reasonable compared to every other place I stayed at on Corsica. Very basic, but right on the Mediterranian.)
GPS: N41 51.355 E9 24.060
The D268 to Zonza from there will keep you entertained.

Hotel Maxime in St. Florent
GPS: N42 40.810 E9 18.180

Hotel Beach in Propriano
(garage parking)

BTW, your route up the N road on the east coast is a waste of time. Too flat and straight unless you are in a hurry.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein

Global Rider screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 04:17 PM
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
tekebird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

yeah I know, too short on time...but when you have 7 days on the bike you do what you can.

always can go back if I like the taste of my single scoop
Old 07-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #24
tekebird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

here's a good question.

initial route plotting done on Google maps.

same route input into Garmin Basecamp comes up with a shorter time

anyone have any idea which is more accurate?

I know I could also use the higher for CYA but curious
Old 07-13-2013, 01:50 AM   #25
sbn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Happy to see all the advise here sounds like you guys are planning a great trip. Hope you have a grelt time. Remember to do a ride report here

The wife and I are in the beginning stages of planning a trip to corsica/sadinia next year. So I have subscribed to this thread.
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #26
tekebird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

just got home last night. once I put my life back in order will post a report and some links to pics
Old 09-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #27
tekebird OP
Gnarly Adventurer

little feedback to keep you teased:

Don't plan on big miles in Corsica, attainable average speeds are pretty low, especially on the road from Calvi to Porto. some sections of the road are definitely GS type surface

It was quite warm for our trip save the Alps passes.