User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,994
2012 Mauna Kea, Racing in Paradise

It's that time again Boys and Girls, the Mauna Kea 200 is Memorial Day weekend on the lovely island of Hawaii (the island with active volcanoes, the wettest city in the U.S., Southern most Point in the U.S., Geothermal Power, etc. etc.).

It'll be a two day enduro with rainforest on Saturday and a high altitude mountain run on Sunday. Entry information can be found at MK200.com.

Only a few ADVriders have actually participated, SFRONT, Gasser, Stan.Riner, J Lewis (back in the day) and it's had it's share of "Names" too Malcolm Smith, John DeSoto (as recently as '07). It's always a hoot to hang out with the Local Crew, they definitely know how to put together a tough event and then reward you with good food and drink when it's over. Every year folks from every island and some mainland regulars come over for the fun, it's a butt kicker, the best part is the post race "Talk Story" with the hosts.

Video from last year:

Previous years:

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this year since I took a temp job in Germany. If you have an inkling to attend pm me and I can try to help you find a bike to ride if you're not up for shipping, buying, or stealing one...
Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Oddometer: 938
Getting my ducks in a row for this!
This is definitely one of my all time favorite rides.
The peeps on the big island are like extended family and their aloha spirit is awesome.
If you've got the means, jump on this!
You won't be disappointed!

STEVE

So what if it was short....I still had a great time!!!
sfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
Tales of Mauna Kea 200 Trails

Go to page 12 for Tales of Mauna Kea 200 Trails> http://www.hawaiimotorhead.com/

Yo riders, the Rock Island Riders are right on trail completion schedule.

W'ev had many wet trail cutting days but that didn't stop us from having fun doing what we do best.

I highly recommend a spare set of screened goggles for the Upper Waikea Rain Forest section because the fast growing Uluhe fern quickly encroaches into our pond and log littered fresh cut trails...Brah! dis no bulie.

We may issue each rider with a machete and chain saw at the start, so make damn sure you have plenty of bungie cords in your North Face back pack to hold a 36" bar Huskavarna, plus have a big supply of mosquito repellent to go along with a water proof sleeping bag because you may have to spend the night sawing through the many 6' logs so you don't hour/day out...the first day sections will make for good after race beer drinking bullshit benchracing talk story stuff...Brah! dis bulie.

Sweep you there May 26-27

~Rev high, shift quick, blink fast~~~~~~~~~Gasser
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser View Post

Yo riders, the Rock Island Riders are right on trail completion schedule.
Hey Gasser!

Any hints on how many miles in the Forest Section for the race?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Gasser
Control crash rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
Hey Gasser!

Any hints on how many miles in the Forest Section for the race?

We have a 100 solid soggy miles to go faster than the crash on.

Hints> 6psi F/R is what we use to keep traction on the slippery rooted trails.

To avoid fogged up goggles, I highly recommend using screened goggle eye protection in the forest sections.

To avoid dust ware a spray painters face head sock.

To avoid this gnarly race, buy a Harley.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Gasser
Control crash rider

2012 Mauna Kea 200

This years 37th annual Rock Island Riders Mauna Kea 200 two day world class 96 mile off road endurance race course in the Upper Waiakea Rain Forest jungle slopes of Hawaii's Mauna Loa Volcano and the rough gnarly second days 54 mile R1 4WD road around Mauna Kea Volcano got off to a smooth start with the event crew hard at work putting in place all the things it takes to make this world class race happen.

The starting line had 37 riders in groups of three, leaving on every minute, as riders are timed through various energy demanding sections covering 96 miles of muddy rocky trails laced with slippery roots, deep water and an assortment of big logs to challenge motorcycle and body.

This is Hawaii's premier off road race as it offers the second day's challenge, where the weather conditions can change any minute at any mile as riders circumvent Mauna Kea Volcano on R1 road, this being a treacherous 4WD dusty lava rock tire spinning road, climbing from 6,000 to 9,710 ft elev, then it takes lots of "Hail Mary" pitch it sideways braking action in the steep dusty decent down the mountain to a 'make up time' high speed 5 mile dangerous undulating rock laced road to the 54 mile finish line.

Someone mentioned that the wind was blowing 80 Mph at the 13,600 elev, the riders talked among themselves on how to prepare for any bad weather potentials that can make or break their racing day.

After the race, riders bench raced about getting pushed around by the high gusty winds on the East side R1 loop, and how many of the big logs tested their endurance in the 96 miles of day 1's muddy course sections.

ADV rider from Florida Steve Frontauria got slammed down hard from one of hundreds of Florida sized Boa Constrictor roots, bruising some ribs really bad on day 1's very demanding logs & roots endurance sections, but iron man Steve managed to "grunt and bare it" to finish day 1, then on day 2 he raced WFO all the way around the 54 mi Mauna Kea Volcano Mt grimacing to the finish line, then smiling as he received a second place trophy...way to go Steve, you be da man!

Big Aloha Mahalo's to all that helped support the 37th annual Mauna Kea 200.

~Go faster than the crash~~~Gasser~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2012 MK 200 Race Results
Overall A Class

1 4A Joe Edsman 3
2 4C Jason Hepa 15
3 1B Stan Riner 15
4 7A Ryan Gouveia 20
5 5B Chad Nakashima 21
Team A Class

1 Tiki Cycles 160
201-300 A Class

1 3A Kyle Smith 34
2 3C Slade Saffery 50
3 2A Aaron McKnight 116
301-Open A Class

1 1C Ben Kimura 26
2 2B Scott Takara 45
3 3B Craig Bauer 679
Vet 40-49 A Class

1 1A Alika Adric 37
Masters 50+ A Class

1 5C Jerry Miller 34
2 5A Anthony Ortiz 50
Overall B Class

1 18A Dave Nawahine 2
2 20A Keaka Ching 18
3 20C Jack Ching 21
0-200 cc B Class

1 18B Nick Soma 38
201-300 cc B Class

1 19C Michael Omija 64
2 19B Russ Goforth 1048
3 22B Scott Kawakami 2802

301-Open cc B Class

1 18C Kim Nakashima 43
Vet 40-49 B Class

1 24C Gary Scott Simmons 51
Masters 50+ B Class

1 24A Thomas Odem 138
2 23A Steve Frontauria 2107
Womens B Class

1 23C Lehua Lau 670
ATV

1 30 Jack Kron 0
2 32 Cory Hajek
Old 06-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
I did this ride in 1977 on a Baja prepped TT500! Rode with my Dad, Grubby Clark, Walter Hoffman and the Rocklands. I think it was the 500 back then?? Dont bring a TT 500, the guy who won was Steve Zoll on a XR200 and a trails bike was the hot tip. I got out of 2nd gear once coming down the volcano! Never forgot that ride.
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by radbrad511 View Post
I did this ride in 1977 on a Baja prepped TT500! Rode with my Dad, Grubby Clark, Walter Hoffman and the Rocklands. I think it was the 500 back then?? Dont bring a TT 500, the guy who won was Steve Zoll on a XR200 and a trails bike was the hot tip. I got out of 2nd gear once coming down the volcano! Never forgot that ride.
Pretty cool, that was the second one.

Zoll is still around, though the last time I saw him on a dirtbike was the 2006 MK200 when he was riding "Chase" for a friend's 15 year old, he's still riding mountain bikes regularly and kicking butt on them.

It's a great event, put together by a small core of Die Hards that all had participated in it from the early days, if you ever get the urge to give it another shot let us know, we can probably dig up a TT for you!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
SurlyPete
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I checked out the website about this race but still have a few questions. I sent an email a few weeks ago but didn't hear back so am hoping you might be able to answer here.
Is it always memorial weekend?
Always time keeper?
Anywhere there rent prepped bikes? Bringing my bike would be a problem, I can bring my gear easy enough.
We are trying to schedule our next family vacation to Hawaii and I'm hoping to squeeze in this race. Thanks for your help.
SurlyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyPete View Post
I checked out the website about this race but still have a few questions. I sent an email a few weeks ago but didn't hear back so am hoping you might be able to answer here.
Quote:
Is it always memorial weekend?
Yes, always! Its traditional starting in 1976.

Quote:
Always time keeper?
Generally, Yes (goes back to tradition). There were some run as Hare n Hounds a few years back but the intent is to keep it as a timekeeper (as long as ample help is available).

Quote:
Anywhere there rent prepped bikes?
Nope. Though several folks have bought bikes for the race and keep them on the island, certainly not within everybodys means but it is an option. Real dirtbike rentals have come and gone on our island since it's a pretty limited market, of the couple that existed over the past eight years or so none have ever rented for the MK200 since it's too tough on equipment.

Quote:
Bringing my bike would be a problem, I can bring my gear easy enough.
We are trying to schedule our next family vacation to Hawaii and I'm hoping to squeeze in this race. Thanks for your help.
Pete, hope that helps IF you can work it out shoot me a note and I might be able to assist in the bike hunt, we've been able to find loaners in the past.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
smdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Is this going on this year?
smdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdave View Post
Is this going on this year?
Unfortunately, No (long story). We're doing a Make-Up ride instead, two days of the same type of terrain with some beer drinking and BBQing thrown in.