User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Truck Farts

Rode from Phx. to Casa Grande this morning and back, nice ride but mildly windy, maybe 8-10 mph. Lots of 18 wheelers on that stretch between Phx. and Tucson, I-10, most doing 70-75 mph. (speed limit is posted as 75) I couldn't believe the damn buffeting I was getting when passing! And when passing at the speed limit in those occasions when the truck was going slower, just prolonged the agony. I finally started increasing my speed to 80-90 mph just before initiating the pass, just to get it over with quickly. I've ridden a lot and for many years, but have always avoided interstates when possible; find them about as interesting as watching the grass grow. But any tips anyone might have about how to handle 18 wheelers would be appreciated. By the way, I don't like to be close to them due to their propensity for shredding tires and leaving debris in the road. I also have a close friend who caught a lug nut from one of their wheels on his helmet at about 90 mph. Ruined his helmet and would have certainly killed him had it hit his face plate rather than the helmet.
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 777
I generally cue up in behind them in their slipstream, then give it the beans to get around them. I also normally move to the left of the lane as I'm getting toward their front wheel, then cut right and start to lean into the wash coming off their grill.
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,679
I hang back a bit so I have room to build up speed before I initiate the pass. I spend as little time as possible near the truck.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
But any tips anyone might have about how to handle 18 wheelers would be appreciated.
As someone who rides the Freeways of Houston, A LOT--My only suggestion is GTFO as fast as you can (Being safe and if Possible) When ever I come up on an 18 Wheeler I get around him or pass him as fast as possible, I don't like being next to them either, so it's best just to GET OUT.
Reduxalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,306
I also do like GoGo and TT do-- hang back and complete the pass as quickly as possible. I don't have anything against 18-wheelers, but there is the wind buffeting even a few cars lengths back, the danger of getting crossways with their tire failure (bad in a car, real bad on a bike) and not being able to see the road ahead of them.

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 08:00 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,145
I only do one thing around them. Get the heck away from them as quickly as possible! Doesn't matter if I'm driving or on a bike...I get outta there fast.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,769
Pass them as fast as possible and far to the left side of the lane is what I do. You want to know what's a bit hairy? It's passing those same trucks in a rain storm on the interstate; passing during ideal conditions isn't so bad until it's raining, you better be paying attention or else it's going to be a mess.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Another tip on 18 wheelers, if you smell brakes or burning rubber stay away.
I was a couple of cars behind a rig that had a blow out (I mean a real pop) and I could smell the tire burning apart so I backed way off before it happened.
Rig looked like crap too. You could tell maintenance was not a priority.
Use your spidey sense.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
Another tip on 18 wheelers, if you smell brakes or burning rubber stay away.
I was a couple of cars behind a rig that had a blow out (I mean a real pop) and I could smell the tire burning apart so I backed way off before it happened.
Rig looked like crap too. You could tell maintenance was not a priority.
Use your spidey sense.
They could also be shedding a tread. I'd be inclined to pull off and let them get a mile ahead. No sense being around when the shit hits the fan.

Worst one I ever saw was a semi make a hard right turn off the freeway, go through the fence and wind up in a Home Depot parking lot.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
All good advice guys! They are an issue! Thanks
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #11
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,459
I just hang on for improved fuel economy.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,099
If you come at at a truck with the right attitude, they're fun.

You get to surf the wake they put off. Like Gogogavin41 says if you aim at their front wheels -ish (going from left to right in your lane) you get a great push back the other way.

Lots of fun on an otherwise boring way to travel.

In the greater scheme of things, I'd rather pass a semi- than a soccer mom in her SUV. Chances are the SUV driver's not paying nearly the attention that the semi- driver is.

M
Old 05-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Watch out for double and triple trailers. They put off a hell of a lot more turbulence than singles.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 448
I was passing a semi once on the interstate when a trailer tire blew out and shredded. I had huge pieces of rubber come raining over me. Luckily for me I was on a big touring bike. The fairing took the hits instead of me. One piece about a foot square deflected off the windscreen and over my head. If I had been on a naked bike, it probably would have taken me right off the seat. Interestingly there was no damage to the bike, other than rubber black marks all over the fairing and windscreen, which polished out. Oh, and the dark spot on my riding pants...
dwestly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,378
I think you can just get used to it.
I will hang back from a truck and draft sometimes, ready to dodge anything that shows up on the road.
Its a mixed bag, a truck will block anything big, people see it, they don't do anything fast, but the limitation to the sight lines is not good.

I do not like being next to them at all.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote