User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
robfilms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
i'm suddenly lusting for a zzr1200!

june/july 2012, i returned to riding after a 35 year lapse.

i bought a great craigslist bike-2006 kawasaki z750s (the de-tuned little brother of the z1000).

i have been very satisfied with this bike.

i road every three days all winter long and being in the metro nyc area for me that was an accomplishment.

i promised myself i wouldn't look at other bikes till i had more experience.

i broke that promise almost immediately and constantly look out for bandits and fz1s.

and then last week i discovered...the zzr1200.

now i'm in lust.

so, anyone know anyone who drives/drove a zzr1200 and wants to share their thoughts?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
It is beyond stupid fast. I had 2. I found myself doing +90 MPH on local 35 MPH roads despite lugging and short shifting it everywhere. It just generated speed, should have a 2 speed trans cause I'd upshift 2 or 3 at a time as most served no real purpose. Roll on was nuts. Great lights, rear too.

Smooth and comfy, shook its head if you took your hands off the bars but stable otherwise.

Did I mention stupid. Fast too.

I will not own another. Too much to be able to use it at all. It ate tires like a pig. Tore them up, fronts cupped instantly. Bull in a china shop on the street.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
robfilms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
It is beyond stupid fast. I had 2. I found myself doing +90 MPH on local 35 MPH roads despite lugging and short shifting it everywhere. It just generated speed, should have a 2 speed trans cause I'd upshift 2 or 3 at a time as most served no real purpose. Roll on was nuts. Great lights, rear too.

Smooth and comfy, shook its head if you took your hands off the bars but stable otherwise.

I will not own another. Too much to be able to use it at all. It ate tires like a pig. Tore them up, fronts cupped instantly. Bull in a china shop on the street.
sounds great!

thanks for sharing.

be well.

rob
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
OP there is something seriously wrong with you if you read Navin's description and say "Sounds Great!"

I heartily approve of this type of insanity however
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 AM   #5
robfilms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

now, who knows anyone with a zzr1200 who wants to talk with me?

be well.

rob
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
SoCanyon
Doulos

Oddometer: 43
Navin's synopsis is a good one. No matter what the speed limit, you will probably look down and say oops. You weren't trying to go that fast. You weren't riding hard. It just crept up on you.
Had one for two years, trips as far as Colorado to Virginia.
Smooth. Did he say stupid fast? Front end was heavy on two lane mountain roads. But, it was a heavy bike.
My understanding is that it was made for the European market and Kawasaki was convinced to bring it to USA. Came to USA just in time to be second fastest to the Hayabusa. Thus, it did not generate interest here. Too spartan for most people to tour on; too big for a race bike.
Mechanically--no problems.
I pulled into Virginia and parked it in a row of black Harleys for a month, got teased for not conforming.
SoCanyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,513
This should help you, tough to sell. Nobody wants them, except you as far as I know. Where were you when I sold both of mine???? The first I bought new, $10,000, lucky to get 5 with 15k. Second I bought like new, almost 3k miles, $4500, added hard bags, realized it was still the bike, not me and sold it for 4500 again, couple Ks more.

Mechanically I doubt anyone could break anything on it used on public roads. Wear out tires & brakes, yes. Nothing else.

That and stupid fast, bears repeating it. That "look down and WTF speed" is exactly correct SoCan. Commuting to work on an empty road, you feel 73 MPH, you are going 110. Super quiet, super smooth. It was not good for your health or drivers license!

Seriously, I got tired of not really being able to actually "ride" it. If you twist the throttle up you are just going at an insane rate or speed in any gear. 2,000-2500 RPM is the real street shift point. Burp, burp, burp, you are doing 75.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
beautiful bike.

back inthe days when I was riding a ZG1000 Concours, I got to test ride one at a demo event. EVerything said about the power above is true. It was amazing. Passing only requires a thought. When I got back on the C-10 I thought there was something wrong with it for the first couple of miles. There is a HUGE difference between the two...

Kiss your driver's license goodbye...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
now, who knows anyone with a zzr1200 who wants to talk with me?

be well.

rob
I have one.

It is STUPID fast. It has gobs of torque.

I get about 9-10k miles out of a set of PR2s, with spirited riding. So, you can find good tires, with great turning grip, but with decent mileage on the center strip.

As a carbed bike, it has a manual choke, etc. But Kaw really nailed the carburation spot-on with this bike. No hesitation, no power dips, and it has the wonderful smoothness of carburation that is only starting to be matched by modern tweaked EFI systems.

I have a Corbin seat and a set of Genmar risers on the bars. Those, plus a Kawasaki tall (touring) windscreen, and Givi luggage (SW Motech quick release racks) make it a fantastic sport tourer.

Yes, it is a bit spartan if you want all manner of bells and whistles. The suspension if a little soft, but it works well for real world road riding. The front end pushes a little bit when you are riding it hard. But the motor is bulletproof.

The ZZR12 is actually quicker than a Connie14, due to the C14 having shaft drive and being quite a bit heavier.

The wonderful part of a ZZR12 is that you don't have to pay too much to own one. Cost to purchase, maintain, and insure are all low.

Every now and then I think about exchanging mine for something more modern and blingy. But then I ride it, and those thoughts go away.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions you may have.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #10
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post

Sounds like a great fuggin bike
Old 05-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
joe450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
zzr1200

I've had many bikes in my life and always traded them in after 2-3 years the only bike i wish i kept was the zzr1200 it was fast and reliable and handle well for its size. the best handling bike i owned was a 1999 ducati 996 but that's another story. I now ride a 1400 concours witch i love, it reminds me of the zzr but much more comfortable, at my age comfort is king. Buy one you will love it.
joe450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
robfilms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

thank you everyone for responding.

your remarks coincide with my preliminary research.

coming from a 2006 z750s (the baby bro of the z1000), the zzr1200 could be a nice step up in class.

now, who know anyone in ny/nj/ct who rides a zzr1200?

ymmv.

be well.

rob
Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCanyon View Post
Came to USA just in time to be second fastest to the Hayabusa
Your forgeting the ZX12R?

The ZZR1200 is very close to the Honda CBR1100XX but the seating position is a litel more relaxed, the power is sligtly more.
And its not to big of a problem to holde it within legal speed limits. And its bloody stable at high speeds
I havent heard of any big issues with it, think its very solid build and you get a lot bike for the money.
Dont think, run and buy!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
robfilms OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Nor View Post
Your forgeting the ZX12R?

The ZZR1200 is very close to the Honda CBR1100XX but the seating position is a litel more relaxed, the power is sligtly more.
And its not to big of a problem to holde it within legal speed limits. And its bloody stable at high speeds
I havent heard of any big issues with it, think its very solid build and you get a lot bike for the money.
Dont think, run and buy!
tom-nor-

thanks for sharing.

i agree with your thinking.

if i can find a decent zzr1200 at the right price AND get my wife's approval, then i'm in.

that said, finding the right bike comes first.

ymmv.

be well.

rob
Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
Go ride a Concours 14. You get as much power if not more than the zzr1200, fuel injection, shaft drive and some creature comforts. You can still put down close to 150hp to the wheel with light mods.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote