ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
hooliken OP
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,797
ADV Buying/Selling/Trading Experiences?

This was brought up in another buying/selling thread and figured it was worth its own.

To me there are a couple of transactions that will forever tie me to this place. I picked up my Super Enduro from Steverino in 2008 and that bike has taken me on some of my greatest rides to date. He had it posted here, everyone knew he rode the wheels off the bike, but also took care of it. I showed up, took a short spin, gave him a check, loaded her up, and off I went. Best bike I have ever owned hands down.

I have bought, sold, and traded with other inmates since I joined the sight and have yet had a bad experience. Most recently being a straight up trade with another inmate (What up Armstrong473), my super clean ZRX1200R for his 2006 XB12X. Being a former Buell owner I knew exactly what I was getting. It was a chilly day last Oct, we met, BSed, had a coffee, looked over each bike briefly, signed titles and away we both went. Easy as that. Outside of the normal Buell XB wierdness the bike is great.

Have bought and sold a lot of parts and gear and have never had any issues.

So, what is your most memorable transaction, good or bad, on ADV?
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 2,476
Great thread topic.

I must say, in general, I have made some great friends and rider acquaintances near and far as a result of the ADV forum in general. Just decent, down to earth guys n gals.

Many of the vendors simply put are top notch. Something one can easily appreciate it is those money on the barrel head for a great product at a great price type deals. Sure, there are some squids, but not many.

Last riding season, I scored a wonderful lightly used Aerostich Darien with an electric liner for cheap. The funny bit is that right after me, on a global forum here, the guy that wanted to be "next in line" if I backed out was one of the guys I have ridden with locally here in my metro area several times. It was fun to rib him a little after the transaction, cause I had beaten him to the goodies.....

Going through a rough three year on-going stretch of shit in my life right now, ADV, riding and the chums I have made have been priceless. To be hundreds of miles from home, stop for a bite somewhere, and another rider comes up and says hello and gives you the finger, and then explains he is following "Canonshot" tracks, you immediately know what he's talking about and a couple minutes later you are lending him some Loctite and singing koombaya.

__________________
.
-“Ah, you're wasting you're time. They can't track us over rocks.
Tell them that.......... --Who are those guys?”


~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 7,079
I bought my DR from a former inmate. He was hanging it up, for at least until his kids were grown. I got a better deal than what a dealer would charge. One dealer in Chicago wanted $3500 for a '98 DR650 with over 10K miles on it. I got a farkled DR with less miles and for less $$. The inmate sold for the neighborhood of what he was wanting to get. The bike had a few miles, and a few farkles on it that I would have done differently, but it has been the most fun of any bike I've ever ridden. It's also ridiculously simple, so any issues due to age/miles/use are pretty easy to fix.

I've also bought parts. Inmates have some great parts at great prices. I've never had a bad deal from anybody here.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,766
Not a single bad deal ever from an inmate. I have taken hundreds of checks for DVDs, sold 5 bikes, bought 4 and tons of farkles. ADV Riders, and motorcyclists in general, are by and large honest people.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,424
Never a bad experience buying or selling.
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer
 
preppypyro's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Canada's Best Kept Secret, Saskatchewan
Oddometer: 560
I have bought maybe 10ish things off of here, and have great experiences every single time. This place simply has exceeded my expectations when it has come to help, knowledge, buying cool shit, and there is endless interesting things to read in Jo Momma.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Madison, WI and/or Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 551
One time I sold some gloves in the Flea Market.

Can you believe the guy who bought them showed up EIGHT MINUTES late to my house?! The nerve of that guy!
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:55 AM   #8
hooliken OP
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
One time I sold some gloves in the Flea Market.

Can you believe the guy who bought them showed up EIGHT MINUTES late to my house?! The nerve of that guy!
Was he riding a KLR? Might of not wanted to push her pass 55 out of fear of that extra two pence he would have to spend on gas......
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #9
MotoBoss
Bad Influence
 
MotoBoss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Mid South Indiana
Oddometer: 3,621
I have sold helmets, jackets, parts, farkel's, bits, and even a motorcycle on ADV. I have bought many parts from inmates and many from the Vendors thread. I have never had a bad experience and everyone has delivered as promised.

Several years ago the Wife questioned my sending money to people I met on the site without goods in hand but have since learned, as I have, the inmates on this site are genuine quality folks with two wheels as a common passion!

I find the world wide inmate population fantastic and enjoy the communication from people from all over the world. I have found and learned about things I never would have imagined from every part of the globe. Indeed the world is a smaller place due to the Internet but much more enjoyable thanks to ADV.
__________________
Adventure Before Dementia
MotoBossMotoBlog

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV



MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Unstable Rider
Sick Till Tuesday
 
Unstable Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss View Post
I have sold helmets, jackets, parts, farkel's, bits, and even a motorcycle on ADV. I have bought many parts from inmates and many from the Vendors thread. I have never had a bad experience and everyone has delivered as promised.

Several years ago the Wife questioned my sending money to people I met on the site without goods in hand but have since learned, as I have, the inmates on this site are genuine quality folks with two wheels as a common passion!

I find the world wide inmate population fantastic and enjoy the communication from people from all over the world. I have found and learned about things I never would have imagined from every part of the globe. Indeed the world is a smaller place due to the Internet but much more enjoyable thanks to ADV.
I might have to borrow (ok steal ) that term for awhile... ok?

"world wide inmate"

I like it.
__________________
.
-“Ah, you're wasting you're time. They can't track us over rocks.
Tell them that.......... --Who are those guys?”


~Butch Cassidy
Unstable Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
hooliken OP
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
I might have to borrow (ok steal ) that term for awhile... ok?

"world wide inmate"

I like it.
+1
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
el queso
toda su base
 
el queso's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: colinas del norte, california sur
Oddometer: 679
I've bought an sold a number of things and for the most part, all the deals have been fine. I was irritated when I bought a "like new" luggage rack that had a few holes drilled it in it, but that's life in the interwebz.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Barry
Just Beastly
 
Barry's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: Fredericksburg, Va.
Oddometer: 7,235
WHAT UP KEN ????? How far you livin' from me now?

I have had almost universally good experiences buying and selling on ADVRider. One time, and it pains me, I sold a bike to an inmate that I purchased my first GS from. So we had history, knew one another... deal went south.

Without getting into a lot of details, the bike was fine last time I started and rode it, which I had been doing regularly up to sale. Unfortunately, 6 hrs in sub freezing travel to deliver the bike, it didn't start. Since the buyer knew me, he took me at my word that all was well, and it was the cold.

Several months later, after he left the country, and the bike was in the posession of a shop for weeks or months, I got "the" call. Bike needed this, that etc. Needed the motor to come apart... Given that I knew the guy, I spoke with him several times, spoke with the shop, and everthing just did not add up.

2 facts are...

1. I KNOW the bike was fine when I loaded it up for sale.

2. I have NO FREAKING IDEA who did what with it after it was out of my posession and the buyer's possession for weeks or months.

So, he wanted cash, I said no. End or story, sour grapes, and that's that. Hard decision, but it is what it is.

Suck story all around. I have no doubt in his mind, he blames me. I stuck by the facts and what I know.

That said... Before this sale took place I had almost a similar situation with a very good riding buddy on this site (iDave). We traded bikes, and cash, and my bike was found by Dave to have problems. We undid the deal immediately with no issues. But Dave called me like 3 days after we swapped, not three months.

So, I am content that I will do the right thing when appropriate, but still bothers me that a guy I have history with was totally unhappy with how the other sale went.

What can you do?

Barry
__________________
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.

Barry screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 05:38 PM
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe
 
ChuckS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Too Close to Detroit
Oddometer: 639
First thing I bought here was a WeeStrom. I drove to VA to pick it up. The seller took about 2 hours showing me every flaw, scratch, and nit pick. To my eyes it was pristine- 5000 miles on the clock, with a few scuff marks from boots.

Cash traded, bike in truck, into MAJOR STORM. Blowing trucks off the hwy in the Shenandoah Valley, full blizzard across Ohio, and I had to take the next day off of work to clean the salt crust off the bike.

A pretty good start.
__________________
SPOT track of my Newfoundland adventure
What? Me Worry?

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
hooliken OP
Awesome is a flavor
 
hooliken's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Smithfield, VA
Oddometer: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
WHAT UP KEN ????? How far you livin' from me now?

I have had almost universally good experiences buying and selling on ADVRider. One time, and it pains me, I sold a bike to an inmate that I purchased my first GS from. So we had history, knew one another... deal went south.

Without getting into a lot of details, the bike was fine last time I started and rode it, which I had been doing regularly up to sale. Unfortunately, 6 hrs in sub freezing travel to deliver the bike, it didn't start. Since the buyer knew me, he took me at my word that all was well, and it was the cold.

Several months later, after he left the country, and the bike was in the posession of a shop for weeks or months, I got "the" call. Bike needed this, that etc. Needed the motor to come apart... Given that I knew the guy, I spoke with him several times, spoke with the shop, and everthing just did not add up.

2 facts are...

1. I KNOW the bike was fine when I loaded it up for sale.

2. I have NO FREAKING IDEA who did what with it after it was out of my posession and the buyer's possession for weeks or months.

So, he wanted cash, I said no. End or story, sour grapes, and that's that. Hard decision, but it is what it is.

Suck story all around. I have no doubt in his mind, he blames me. I stuck by the facts and what I know.

That said... Before this sale took place I had almost a similar situation with a very good riding buddy on this site (iDave). We traded bikes, and cash, and my bike was found by Dave to have problems. We undid the deal immediately with no issues. But Dave called me like 3 days after we swapped, not three months.

So, I am content that I will do the right thing when appropriate, but still bothers me that a guy I have history with was totally unhappy with how the other sale went.

What can you do?

Barry

What's up Barry. We will be relocating to the Smithfield area (down near Suffolk) at the beginning of June. We will definitely have to get together.

Sucks when things go wrong in a deal like that.

Any bike that I have picked up used, especially from here, I fully expect that I will have to do some form or fashion of maintenance or repair. Reason I think this is because I believe that most on this site are riders, we ride our bikes.....A lot. Anybody who expects a used bike to be pristine, that has actually been ridden, are kidding themselves. I am sure that if I tore down my Buell motor today I would find somethings that may need to be replaced, at some point.

Pretty shitty that a shop calls you and tells you this. I guaran-f'n-tee that if I took either of my bikes to a shop they would hand me a laundry list of things that they "think" should be replaced.
__________________
"People in this country sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
950R Super Enduro - 450EXC - Gas Gas TXT 280 - 2000 Honda XR100R - 1988 Honda Z50R
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014