Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 400
Silence me? I dont think so...this is a forum. We like, talk?

Silence was never my forte.

The side stand technique works, you acknowledge it. So why fanny about? Sorry but I call it as I see it, and make no apology for that, but thank you for your personal guidance in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I think by now, EVERY person understands that the side-stand trick exists. WE GET IT. We don't need another post stating it. This thread isn't titled "what technique should I use to break the bead", it's titled " Motion Pro - BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool".

Please try to honor the topic/spirit of a thread, if you can't, then noone is forcing you to post on it.
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
Silence was never my forte.

The side stand technique works, you acknowledge it. So why fanny about? Sorry but I call it as I see it, and make no apology for that, but thank you for your personal guidance in any case.

Wanker!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
Martynho
ChileGringo

Thanks Pete.

I should include the full previous message as sent in a PM and curiously edited from public view. I am sorry but the "silence is fine" bit just sends me off on one. Not having it.

You don't need to. The thread wasn't titled "how do I break the bead" or otherwise asking for suggestions.

Please do everyone a favor and try and honor the spirit of the thread topic, noone is forcing you to say something, silence is fine also.

Everyone gets that the "side stand" technique exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Wanker!!!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,452
Quote:
Thanks Pete.

I should include the full previous message as sent in a PM and curiously edited from public view. I am sorry but the "silence is fine" bit just sends me off on one. Not having it.

You don't need to. The thread wasn't titled "how do I break the bead" or otherwise asking for suggestions.

Please do everyone a favor and try and honor the spirit of the thread topic, noone is forcing you to say something, silence is fine also.

Everyone gets that the "side stand" technique exists.
Publically quoting PM's as you just did will earn you a vacation. I recommend against it!
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #20
Martynho
ChileGringo

Aye

Quote:
Publically quoting PM's as you just did will earn you a vacation. I recommend against it!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,594
Martyn, posting pms is a big no no here. I can't tell wtf you posted so I don't feel the need to intervene.

I guess I never noticed this thread. I don't know why anyone would mess with a bead breaker but I get that some folks need them. To each his own and there's nothing wrong with offering a counterpoint. It's just the internet, nothing to get riled up about.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #22
Martynho
ChileGringo

Hi Mark,

My apologies if I broke protocol, I plead ignorance.

Counterpoints don't rile me, but being told to shut up in private whilst a different picture is painted publicly of the true exchange does, particularly as I subsequently got abused.

saludos - Martyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Martyn, posting pms is a big no no here. I can't tell wtf you posted so I don't feel the need to intervene.

I guess I never noticed this thread. I don't know why anyone would mess with a bead breaker but I get that some folks need them. To each his own and there's nothing wrong with offering a counterpoint. It's just the internet, nothing to get riled up about.

Martynho screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 07:10 PM
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Especially, considering that it doesn't work for all models.
Works better with some brands of tires than others also. The side-stand trick also worked better (for me) before I added the camel-foot (to prevent the bike falling over in soft sand). After, it was nowhere near as effective, presumably because it spread the weight too much plus makes it harder to get close to the rim.

Every time someone starts a thread here saying they've had good luck with some tool for breaking the bead, you can guarantee that someone will pipe up telling them that they are wrong and should be using the sidestand Sure it's a counter-opinion but it's 205 squared.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #24
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,586
I have an early '04 with the 4" rim. It apparently has a larger safety bead, and the only ways I have found to break the bead are to either use a bench vise, or put it under the landing gear of my travel trailer, using that as a press.

I tried the sidestand trick, even lifting the bike off the ground, trying to get enough pressure- no luck.

Realizing that I would not be able to break the bead at trailside, I converted the wheel to tubeless. I like the idea of plug-and-go.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 PM   #25
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Realizing that I would not be able to break the bead at trailside, I converted the wheel to tubeless. I like the idea of plug-and-go.
When I get it I'll try and post up a video of the tool versus the 3-spoon method. Maybe I can bring it over and we can also try it on your rim. I'm not sure if the tubeless would be a good test, can't see why not, presume the sidewall is stiffer?

I thought I saw someone post on one of the threads that they had an 04 and 10 and the safety beads were identical;
edit: I guess it was the OP of this thread link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=23

crazybrit screwed with this post 11-19-2013 at 08:03 PM
Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,586
Quote:
...I'm not sure if the tubeless would be a good test, can't see why not, presume the sidewall is stiffer?
I'm running stock Scorps.

Quote:
I thought I saw someone post on one of the threads that they had an 04 and 10 and the safety beads were identical...
I've heard it both ways, but considering my lack of success, I choose to believe they are different. Or, maybe I am just a wimp. Either way, I prefer the convenience of tubeless.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm running stock Scorps.
Cool, we can give it a try.

Quote:
but considering my lack of success, I choose to believe they are different.

Quote:
Or, maybe I am just a wimp.
I guess we all are
Old 11-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #28
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,126
I bought the MP tools late last year after having over 10 flats last year that I had to fix trailside. 3 flats were rears. I managed with the three spoons I had, but the MP tool made it significantly easier for me. 908 on stock wide rim. I have since changed my F&R to freshies, and my wife's DR to fresh tires also since then. They make a tough job a bit easier, simple as that.

I think their butt ends make a pair of fine spoons also, I like the shape and length. Since I took away two old spoons, they take up hardly any more space than my previous spoons did.

Different strokes, etc...but they are worth the money for me, I recommend them highly. I paid $70 something, and would do it again.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #29
ciedema OP
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Every time I see this and other threads about bead breaker solutions, I simply just don't get it. Why the ferk do you want to spend money, or lug shed loads of weight in the case of some solutions out there???.

As I said I don't like the side stand. It works for sure, but is awkward if you are by yourself on a fully loaded bike. These are light and faster than using the side stand.

Quote:
Motion pro forged ally spoons are the bollocks. These supposed tire breaker spoons are not, don't fit in yer hand nice or give you the leverage the proper tools do. They are an abortion frankly.
Yeah that is complete crap. They great to use I have used them heaps of times, as for weight they weigh 9 ounces nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 AM   #30
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
+1 great tool!