Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #46
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
It's easy you could do it for sure, put three irons in the bead a few inches apart, push down the outer two and pry up with the middle one it's the same principle as the MP units.
Yeah, right-- I'll believe that and alchemy work when I see it actually happen.

I have had nothing but bad luck working with the rear tires on my bike: I have broken or discarded several lauded and well-regarded tools attempting to do so, and have been seriously considering the unfortunate but prudent prospect of giving up backcountry travel (the very reason I bought a 990) because if I flat a tire out there, I have no way to fix it.

I have seen this MP bead breaker favorably reviewed in a national magazine, and I've seen it offered for sale at KTM Twins. I hope it works because it may well be the last hope I've got for breaking a bead away from the 5' bar & trailer spare that I know work for me, and I know painfully well the quoted method doesn't work.

Meanwhile, I'll read on & decide whether I want to purchase yet another bead-breaking tool...

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #47
ciedema OP
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post

I have had nothing but bad luck working with the rear tires on my bike: I have broken or discarded several lauded and well-regarded tools attempting to do so, and have been seriously considering the unfortunate but prudent prospect of giving up backcountry travel (the very reason I bought a 990) because if I flat a tire out there, I have no way to fix it.

I have seen this MP bead breaker favorably reviewed in a national magazine, and I've seen it offered for sale at KTM Twins. I hope it works because it may well be the last hope I've got for breaking a bead away from the 5' bar & trailer spare that I know work for me, and I know painfully well the quoted method doesn't work.

Meanwhile, I'll read on & decide whether I want to purchase yet another bead-breaking tool...
I have done with the side and center stands - not a big fan of either method, they work but are awkward imho. I have used the tyrepliers - okay but slow.

Short of a lever based bead breaker the MP tools are fantastic. Some times you need to take a couple goes at it about 6" apart but they work. I have even used them on cold day in NFL on K60s, which was a horrid tyre change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #48
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:

Ahhh ya got me, I totally made it up, pulled it straight outta my ass!Open your mind and give it a try.

Here's a man in flip flops practicing a bit of alchemy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbe2P1gN_PM

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #49
ciedema OP
мотоциклист

Quote:
Ahhh ya got me, I totally made it up, pulled it straight outta my ass!Open your mind and give it a try.

Nice - I have wondered about that one.

Quote:
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #50
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:

I've spent enough of my hard-earned scratch on snake oil bead breakers & shed enough blood pursuing various "sure thing!" bead breaking techniques that yet another glibly posted is not enough to sway me, especially if I've already tried it.

I've seen that vid, BTW, and did my best impersonation with little satisfaction to show for it.

Nailhead screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 09:30 PM
Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 PM   #51
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
I have done with the side and center stands - not a big fan of either method, they work but are awkward imho. I have used the tyrepliers - okay but slow.

Short of a lever based bead breaker the MP tools are fantastic. Some times you need to take a couple goes at it about 6" apart but they work. I have even used them on cold day in NFL on K60s, which was a horrid tyre change.
I can't get very enthusiastic about the side-stand technique for two reasons: I don't fancy adding broken mirrors, levers, or turn signals to my list of problems because I've lost balance and tipped the bike over, and I have a Camel Toe on the stand that would have to be removed.

As for Tyre Pliers, all they did was squeeze the side walls together, leaving the bead right where it was, and relieving me of $80 for the privilege. I think they landed in the dumpster.

Thanks for the additional info on the MP-- I might actually buy one.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 PM   #52
ciedema OP
мотоциклист

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
As for Tyre Pliers, all they did was squeeze the side walls together, leaving the bead right where it was, and relieving me of $80 for the privilege. I think they landed in the dumpster.

Thanks for the additional info on the MP-- I might actually buy one.
The TyrePliers require a little trick to work - you need to get a tyre lever, lever the bead down and put the tips as far as you can get them in, also operate them from the rim side.

Even with the MP breakers you need to the tips right un the edge of the rim.

Quote:
Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 AM   #53
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

I believe I did position those Tyrepliers on the rim side, but I did not try to employ any other device in an effort to make them work. I'm not very patient with tools that don't live up to their billing.

I did, however, order the MP bead breaker; we'll see how it goes, I guess...

Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #54
dondesmo
Senior Squid

Oddometer: 84
Good info

I purchased a set of the Motion Pro Bead Breakers for my 990 and always wondered how well they would work so it is nice reading the positive responses. Good stuff.
dondesmo is offline   Reply With Quote