User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
eric2 OP
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,441
Bluhduh Unusual speed traps and other wily LEO stuff

Saw a new tactic yesterday. Rode home for lunch, exited the highway onto a major street. Rode over some RR tracks and spotted a guy sitting off the side of the road by a bus stop. He's wearing a black tshirt, jeans, and running shoes. As I pass by I noticed him with a small video camera, seemed kind of strange but this is austin, maybe he had a beef with buses running late

I ride by the DPS HQ on the way home, and as I get closer I notice a blacked out crown vic LEO car going the same way a couple cars ahead. Not too unusual in the AO; but then another identical one going the opposite direction from me. Hmmm, maybe a training gig at HQ? I know they have unmarked cars, but not too many.

I eat lunch and take the same route back to work. LO and behold, 2 blacked out crown vics have 2 separate cages pulled over and giving them tickets, wtf?

Only then did it dawn on me, could it be? Sure enough, the same guy in the t-shirt is hanging around, I was right about the camera, but he wasn't shooting video, he was shooting radar with some small portable handheld unit, then radioing ahead info about the perps to the black crown vics.

Seemed kind of sneaky to me. I can usually spot the bike and other LEO bases speed traps, but this was different. Prolly city cops though I didn't stop to ask.

So, post up some sneaky speed trap, or other LEO based stings. I thought of another clever ruse used a few years back by DPS I'll share later.

NOTE: I would prefer this not turn into an LEO bashing thread, they gotta job to do and there are plenty of other leo bashing threads around.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer: 327
Not in the same spirit but when I wanted to slow traffic down and I didn't have the HR-12 with me I used to park and hold my radio out the window like I was running radar. It worked really good.
cakmakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
JustinP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
How about the town of Morrison, CO annexing a section of land not even attached to their town, so they can write road tax bills.

http://goo.gl/maps/kP71O

That's pretty wily. Just do a google search for morrison, co speed trap.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
They don't get that creative around this part of VA. The worst I've seen is one deputy standing at the end of a driveway in full hi-viz pointing his "gun" at traffic and three marked cars on the side of the road just past him. I think the lack of cover indicates the had plenty of customers without any ruse.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,378
There is a little spot on rt 19, on the beckley side of fayetteville. One cop in an old crappy crown vic sits hidden. Another one in one of the new chargers rides up and down the road 15-20 above the limit. People fall in behind the dodge, he drags them past the crown vic.

Rinse. Repeat.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
eric2 OP
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
Not in the same spirit but when I wanted to slow traffic down and I didn't have the HR-12 with me I used to park and hold my radio out the window like I was running radar. It worked really good.
Thats pretty clever, and come to think of it the austin PD will park, then leave marked cars in the median to slow traffic.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #7
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2 View Post
Thats pretty clever, and come to think of it the austin PD will park, then leave marked cars in the median to slow traffic.
Leaving unattended police cars parked in the median is a tried and true tactic. Though I would think that, after a few weeks, the effectiveness would diminish as all the commuters figured out no one was sitting in the car.

Also, having one unmarked car radar/lase you, then radioing ahead to another vehicle is fairly common. Sneaky, but not unremarkable. Like they say: You can't outrun the radio.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
Leaving unattended police cars parked in the median is a tried and true tactic. .
they've been doing that for the past few summers along PCH in socal/malibu/LACSD turf.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
There is a little spot on rt 19, on the beckley side of fayetteville. One cop in an old crappy crown vic sits hidden. Another one in one of the new chargers rides up and down the road 15-20 above the limit. People fall in behind the dodge, he drags them past the crown vic.

Rinse. Repeat.
I don't go for that do as I say , not as I do crap. Speed trap or not , their shit stinks too.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
cakmakli
Made It - Army Retired

Oddometer: 327
Along the Alaskan Highway in Canada I came across this:

cakmakli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Infidel
Adventure-Junkie

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post

Rinse. Repeat.
I rode 13 from Goldsboro to Fayetteville every day for about a year.... same sham there.

Oh, and- No matter how good life is, It never ends well.
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,804
Coming back from Memphis a few years ago on the Western Kentucky Parkway, I spy a radar car's bubblegum machine up on an overpass. Since I was lolly gagging along, no problem to me. Go under the bridge, up a quarter mile and there are 7-10 sheriffs sitting there taking turns pulling people over. They were busy too.

I've seen and experienced Ohio doing it on I-75 too. Thankfully, I had slowed down a bunch when they tagged me at 77/55 out of the crowd. That was only a $75 ticket back in '79. No breaks either.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
ggoytia
Mobile Fatso

Oddometer: 167
Thanks for heads up Eric2

Outskirts of dfw at night they like hide with their light completely off but the radar detector goes off. They have all blacked out or all white out cars along with usual cruiser.
During the day way inside a private parking lot from 100 to 150 yards away.

What I don't understand how this is not entrapment.

That is just dirty tactics.
ggoytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
I noticed him with a small video camera,
Probably a laser speed gun. The ones used here look like the video cam.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
grelcar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
In Virginia I once saw a pickup on the side of the road with the hood up and two guys looking under the hood. They were in civilian clothes shooting radar and radioing to patrol cars further down the road.

I went through a big speed trap in Connecticut once. Radar car was in a fairly hidden spot. Further down the road an officer was waving cars to the side of the road. They had a desk setup on the roadside with an officer writing tickets. There were at least 10 cars pulled over when I went by.
grelcar is offline   Reply With Quote