Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 252
There is an abandoned rail road overpass over an expressway here. Every now and then a LEO will be parked up there nabbing speeders. The sides of the train bridge are high enough that you don't notice him if you aren't paying attention.
Conedodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #17
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakmakli View Post
Along the Alaskan Highway in Canada I came across this:

We used to see similar cutout cars and cutout cops holding radar guns.
Eventually we got used to cardboard cops

Then they started positioning real cops 100 meters or so down the road from the cutouts
Very effective as you'd be back on the gas by the time you spotted they were real.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #18
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,100
Years ago Sumiton started parking an old barely-running police cruiser in the median with a blonde female mannikin (in uniform) in the driver's seat. They quit when it became a tourist attraction-- people would park on the roadside, cross a busy 4-lane highway to get their picture taken with the, uhh, cop. Rumor/urban legend had it that she was actually an inflatable sex toy...

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 10:21 AM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #19
alexp206
Libraryator

Oddometer: 48
In South Korea they mount lightbars along the highway. Some are mobile some are portable. They're pretty obvious during the day, but at night you don't know if it's a car or a ruse until you're right on top of it.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
GoUglyEarly
Boots Still Clean

Oddometer: 73
I got nabbed last year in Plainsboro, NJ.

A week after school was out I had accelerated to about 40 in what was marked as a 35/25 when children are present, and got caught in a trap being run by about 5 LEOs.

When I politely challenged the LEO about the limit, his first answer was that they were "protecting the school zone." When I remarked that school was out and the officer handling the radar gun was hiding (no pedestrians in sight) he smirked and got short with me, saying the speed limit was 25 and had been for years.

I scheduled my court date and took lots and lots of pictures. When I showed up in court, the pictures clearly showed that the 25 signs were occluded by trees and vegetation and were within 30 feet of clearly marked "25 when children are present" signs...all in an otherwise 35 mph zone. There were other factors involved but I don't want to write a thesis...

I had also called the state engineer at this point and registered a complaint. The engineer agreed that the signage was vague if not misleading and, in the case of the speed trap, being milked inappropriately.

Central Jersey is notorious for aggressively collecting revenue off tickets, however, and the prosecutor wanted his fine but was willing to write the ticket based on a 35 zone instead of 25......I punked out and took the deal

A few lessons:

-If I had hired a lawyer I would probably have gotten no ticket
-Always show up and fight, even if it is pro se.....be polite and professional
-Don't try and reason with the LEO, at least not in speed trap circumstances, as they may take it personally as they have their 'mission' that day
-LEOs are allowed to twist the truth, another reason not to engage them
-Do your research..the law is not designed to be fair and they see more blatant liars in court than you can imagine

You can bet that all the other people getting pulled over in that trap (nearly half the people I saw go through while I was pulled over) were getting ticketed at the 25 mph rate.

A couple of months later the town fixed the signage and I have yet to see a LEO in that alley since. Why? Because I and maybe a handful of others did our homework, called the state, and fought back.

The law is a process and the LEOs and court personnel are only executors. It is up to the people to protect themselves and effect change.
GoUglyEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 137
The empty, older cruiser parked on the shoulder just past the bridge worked around here years back until someone came up with the Dunkin Donuts box placed on the roof for the rest of us. Haven't seen the tactic used much since.
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Sitting on the overpass

I have seen 2 that work well out here:

1) sitting on the top road of a freeway overpass and radaring down the freeway below, radioing ahead to awaiting units to pull you over

2) sitting on the entrance ramps to the freeway, tucked way up high so that you don't see them until you come under the overpass. They have you by the time you see them (true most of the time these days).

Fortunately, I commute in rush hour, so we are limited to the speed limit or below due to congestion.

It is fishing opener this weekend and most LEO's will be busy with DUI stops. Many of those are caught initially for speeding. I see at least one Whiskey plate a day on my commute. Lot's of drunks out here that can't drive worth a crap.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoytia View Post
Thanks for heads up Eric2

Outskirts of dfw at night they like hide with their light completely off but the radar detector goes off. They have all blacked out or all white out cars along with usual cruiser.
During the day way inside a private parking lot from 100 to 150 yards away.

What I don't understand how this is not entrapment.

That is just dirty tactics.
It's not entrapment because no one enticed you to speed and break the law.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_apple View Post
The empty, older cruiser parked on the shoulder just past the bridge worked around here years back until someone came up with the Dunkin Donuts box placed on the roof for the rest of us. Haven't seen the tactic used much since.

That's actually pretty funny.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
F'in coppers!

There... I just wanted to be the first one to say it!

On my way to work one morning, same route I ride/drive every day. I see an unmarked white Chevy panel van like any electrician, carpenter, plumber might drive. It's parked on the shoulder. As I get closer, I can see someone doing something through one of the windows in the rear. As I come past the driver's door, I see a uniformed Sheriff in the drivers seat. I think to myself, "That's odd." A quarter mile down the road, there are two marked cruisers pulling people over.

The guy in the back of the van was running radar.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #26
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,416
Sierra County in Callifornia has a patrol car that they park in various places to get people to slow down. Here's what it looked like when I saw it:

And here's what the "officer" looked like inside:

California is generally better than other states regarding speed traps. You'll rarely see more than one car or two motorcycles running radar at any given spot. However, they will occasionally have another one a few miles down the road for the benefit of those who think it's okay to speed once they pass a radar cop.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #27
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkMoneyLove View Post
2) sitting on the entrance ramps to the freeway, tucked way up high so that you don't see them until you come under the overpass. They have you by the time you see them (true most of the time these days).
My wife got a ticket from one of those, after I encouraged her.

We were in our old muscle car, which has very long legs and accelerates like a 600cc sportbike, and she was leasurly passing a string of 20 cars behind an 18-wheeler, with a slower moving 18-wheeler in the fast lane 1/4 mile ahead of us. I told her she could probably pass all of them if she got after it. She did, and in a big way. She had scrubbed LOTS of speed by the time we went under the bridge, but the motorcycle cop still nabbed her at 20 over. He was real nice, and wrote her for 10 over. He even noticed my taillights weren't as bright as they should be, and helped me track down the wiring problem. I suppose it could have been just to get a look inside the trunk, but he was a big help none the less.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Our town used to park a retired police car along the road at various locations. Somebody burned it.

Quote:
-LEOs are allowed to twist the truth, another reason not to engage them
In the U.S., law enforcement has the legal right to lie to us except in situations where they're subject to perjury such as under oath in court. We never have the right to lie to them, but we have the right to say nothing.

There are two videos that are great about what to say to law enforcement if you're involved in more than a traffic stop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE
Old 05-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #29
Badge320
Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer: 3,669
My favorite technique when I rode motors in the Dallas area was to find an abandoned car along the interstate and pull up behind it as if I was on a stop. I'd have the handheld radar on the tank..ready to be picked up and watching the mirrors. I'd catch sight of one ripping along and before you know it...I'd have one locked in at 20 plus over the limit.

My other favorite was putting my all white bike up against the white crash barrels they used to place against the base of the overhead signs in the median. The grass was usually pretty tall and about the time the real speeders could figure out there was a bike up against the barrels..I'd have another 20 plus over the limit bagged.

I'd write plenty of tickets by 'hiding' in plain sight. I had some liberal tolerances...20 over on the highway. I'd still get all the tickets I wanted every day.
Badge320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #30
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,411
Thirty plus years ago I was travelling the interstate in Illinois? for the first time ever. They had a hedge set up in a zig- zag pattern evenly spaced (1/4 mile apart?) the length of the highway that you could hide a state trooper behind.
At some point in the ride there would be one but you never knew which one so you took your chances or slowed to 55ish. It seemed effective to me. I wonder if they still do that?