Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #31
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Sorry, I was the unintentional ass*^&% that requested a new thread, but I did have a face in my post, and I'm sorry you took my comment as a criticism. I was enjoying your posts.

I am glad you started this thread because I was sorely missing Sherpas in S.A. with John's homeland layover. Subscribed!!
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #32
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadman View Post
Sorry, I was the unintentional ass*^&% that requested a new thread, but I did have a face in my post, and I'm sorry you took my comment as a criticism. I was enjoying your posts.

I am glad you started this thread because I was sorely missing Sherpas in S.A. with John's homeland layover. Subscribed!!
It's all cool man. This stuff needs its own thread anyhow. Welcome onboard !
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #33
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I really like your Iphone screen prints of roadmaps / towns / cities. That makes it easy for me to pull up where you are on Google Earth and look at the countryside and topography. Good stuff!
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #34
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

10-4 on the screenshots. I just learned how to do them. Press both power buttons simultaneously ! The iPod is a great tool. We can look stuff up on the web , take a screen shot, and refer back to it later off line. We use the maps function in addition to the GPS , the clock timer for boiling eggs,calculator for foreign money exchange ,(USD$ here), Skype to call home, and Tapatalk to post on the forum. It's a very powerful tool for its size. This whole report will be photographed and posted by IPod

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 05:58 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #35
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
You started this post at a great time for me!! I leave in 22 days to fly into Quito and rent bikes for 10 days of riding. Doing an off road tour into the mountains and then playing on the coast for a few days. Cramming as much as we can into ten days!!!! Really cool getting your perspective and seeing the pictures!!!
Your gonna like it. It's a bit cheaper than Colombia. What impressed me is how clean it is. I'll try to post up some info of places we know of but didn't go see, kind of a FYI report as we go along . There's lots of cool places to go and explore. 10 days will be a good primer run........( bring your rain jacket LOL)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #36
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Subcribed

Thanks to John Downs for the link to this report! Ride safe!
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #37
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
G&q

Just an FYI .

The entire G&Q (Guayaquil and Quito Railway) has been rebuilt after failing into disrepair and closing down in 2008.

It is now open again

TH
Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #38
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

To further the FYI regarding rail travel, here is an interesting train ride.

http://www.llamatravel.com/about-ecu...e-railway.aspx
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #39
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Your gonna like it. It's a bit cheaper than Colombia. What impressed me is how clean it is. I'll try to post up some info of places we know of but didn't go see, kind of a FYI report as we go along . There's lots of cool places to go and explore. 10 days will be a good primer run........( bring your rain jacket LOL)
We have a prepaid tour set up with lodging, meals, bike, gas etc. Quick and easiest way to do a ride with a limited amount of time to enjoy. 6 days of offroad in the mountains and then we keep the bikes for a run down to the coast for a couple of days. I will have good rain gear with me for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.....I am enjoying your updates!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #40
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

We had the usual breakfast on the stove. It looks like clouds, even if its not raining we suit up , as we know we will hit it at some point . It's been raining everyday but sunny afterwards.

The super Sherpa dashboard tells me we got a nice early start 8:15, I have travelled 185km on this tank, and we have a nice cruising speed.....

We are heading back west. There are some cool villages with cabins for rent south of Puyo. We didn't go see that area.

We pass through the town of Shell, before we see the huge river that we will be following for the next hour or so

The rain started up and we got soaked pretty good .

The fog and mist along the route made it tough to see some of the river areas as we headed further up

We had to put the camera away as the rain got pretty heavy

Water was flowing pretty good

We saw a bridge so we went across, leaving the main highway , we knew there's a big waterfalls or 2 on this road so we looked at some signs and went a few km

We were unable to find anything cool here & the rain made it less desirable to explore so we went back to the main road

A footbridge looked interesting

Then we arrived at the big double falls

There was a cable going across & a big diesel motor

The motor powers the cage that takes people across to the other side.....
We pay the $1 each and get in the red basket. It's a very swift ride across with great views of the river valley. The motorman stops the cable in front of the falls for photo taking. We told him we didn't want to get out and walk on the other side, so as soon as we get there to whisk us back. It's not as scary as it looks.

We had no clue this cable ride was here, as we didn't do much research on this area. It was nice to stumble upon it and be surprised by it.

After the falls we went through a series of tunnels, and stopped at another waterfalls.

As we entered Banos the sky began to clear up. We were pretty soaked.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 04:17 AM
Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 AM   #41
TrevorHeath
Seattle to ??

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
To further the FYI regarding rail travel, here is an interesting train ride.

http://www.llamatravel.com/about-ecu...e-railway.aspx
http://www.ecuadorbytrain.com/trainecuador/
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #42
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Banos

This town is really full of tour operators selling everything from jungle expeditions to horseback rides, river rafting, canopy tours etc. There's plenty of hotels here, so finding a cheap place is easy.

We haul or stuff into the hotel and begin drying it out. Then a hike into the Centro looking for some food

This is a pretty nice town.

We manage to hit the grocery store, and later in bump into the Mat & Atley Show, whom we have been encountering numerous times in Colombia. Here is their link
http://themattandatleyshow.blogspot.com/p/idea.html?m=1

They told us about a few locations to visit while in Banos. We also managed to glean some info from the numerous adventure tour operators here

After a nice cheap supper we called it a day. We planned to go see the big waterfall that M & A show told us about
The next day was cloudy again.. We had oatmeal & coffee but no tea as the stove quit again. It's been getting pretty fussy with the gasoline and needs to be thoroughly cleaned often. Next rainy day I will service it again.

We headed east towards the tunnels & here's a tip: go through the 1st tunnel, but after that take the old cobble road to the right of the next tunnel and the ones after that. This takes you on a very cool section of road.

We cruised along the old road......

Riding along the rock wall

Soon the wall is overhead with water dripping down

Looking for Jesus face

Seeing the natural rock formation...

Pretty cool...

We headed towards the Devil waterfalls but it started raining again so we headed back to town for lunch. We are hoping for some blue sky to catch a glimpse of the largest active volcano in Ecuador .....

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 02:47 PM
Old 05-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #43
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

We head back into town and have lunch at the mercado

This lady was sitting next to us, lunch was $2 a plate so we bought her one too.

The guy across from us was telling us about some opportunities to experience in the jungle near Puyo. He went on to say there's some cabanas there as well as the medecine "Ayahausca" he wrote some stuff down and handed it to us

We left there and walked to the store

When we got out of the store there was the M&A Show! Yesterday they had said Mr T will be here with Cornielius.

They all went to eat, and after lunch there was gonna be some jumps off the bridge.

A few of the KLR guys were brave enough to do it.

Pretty high bridge, its right by town,the jump is not a bungee but rather a swing type pendulum deal. Make sure the family jewels are not under the leg harness before jumping....

After the two jumps, the lot of us decided to ride up to the com towers to see the volcano. Hopefully the fog/ clouds would move off and it will be visible. Trevor heads up the hill.

The ride up is a series of switchbacks on a neat paver stone road.

The very top was too foggy so we dropped down a few hundred feet and waited

Great views from up here

Mr T pulls out some Ecuador rum. There's a local guy who lives up there who has tenting sites at his property for $5 a night. That would be a good way to see the volcano as well as get some good night shots of the lava.

We waited for the sky to clear enough to see the live volcano but the best we got was some red lava flowing down the side

After descending back to town we head over to visit at the hostal with the other riders.

Shooting some pool & taking it easy. The Viajeros all are trying to decide which way to go and where to next, including the 2 SuperSherpas.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 04:59 PM
Old 05-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #44
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Good Job. I'm really enjoying this.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,207
Nice

Nice report Hektoglider....we just missed you by a few days in Banos.
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote