Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #76
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
At first I was nervous, but after a few miles I began to trust the traction on it. That's a Trailwing (deathwing) front tire, and then we would see cow crap in places....but it was not too bad. Never slipped out at all....
Glad to hear it isnt as bad as it looks.....trailwings....brings back memories

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #77
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
We finally peel out of Quito, heading for the big Equator monument " Mitad del Mundo"

We arrive and pay the couple bucks to go in, take the "1 foot in each half" photo, then a couple more photos.

Off we go heading out to the coast, going through a toll booth and some ok mountain riding I guess.

We see the signs for the ruins so we go check it out, as the rain begins....

We end up exploring some dirt back roads, before heading back out to the main highway. Then the rain came down hard.....

We got totally soaked, and seeing as it was past lunch, we pulled into Mindo for lunch. As we ate we discussed the situation and decided to call it a day as far as the riding is concerned. This place had lots of hotels and maybe further down the road options won't be as good.

Of course as soon as the bikes are parked the sun tries to comes out again

We have a decent supper here and might have to stay a few days to look around.....

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 04:04 PM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #78
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

We had not planned to visit Mindo, but rather were washed in here by the rain. I vaguely recall reading about it and it being one of the areas where the "cloud forest " is still intact & worth a look.
With a big breakfast under our belts we head out for a morning ride under the blue skies, as the lady says it rains in the afternoon, but mornings are mostly clear everyday.

A nice hammock, we will save that for later in the day, we shoot the lady another $$ for an extra night and F-off

Perfect way to start the day....

We are taking the Eco route....

This is a cool jungle road, a bit rough at first, but it gets better.....

Traveling through the cloud forest

We should have skipped the Mitad del Mundo and came here on this backroad....it goes all the way to Quito

We stop here for a coffee....

The place is a bird watchers dream...

A very pleasant Swiss lady kind of runs the place. Soon we were off again, & met a steady stream of bicycle riders struggling up the steep hill....

Next we came upon this sign....we had to go look

Basically if you put a line in, you got a fish. Not really what I'm looking for..

It costs about $7 to catch two nice ones to take with you. I think they can cook them for you too

Soon our road brings us back out to the pavement . It's a pretty cool ride, next time we will ride it all the way to Quito.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-25-2013 at 06:14 PM
Old 05-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #79
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Hektoglider,

What a coincidence, I am traveling to Ecuador next week and renting from Ecuador Freedom. Your pictures and comments are really helpful as I plan to cover much of the same ground.

I think that due to the great marketing campaign you and JD have executed, the mighty Sherpa may soon surpass BMW in the adv bike segment . Well, good publicity at least.

Cheers,
You will enjoy it here. Things are inexpensive & you can arrive in an entirely different geography in a simple days ride.....
The Sherpas are perfect ! We can go places that I would not enjoy with a large bike. I feel its safer too, riding less traffic roads & slower speeds
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM   #80
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I'm Hooked

Nice RR, thanks for sharing with us.
Is your trip planned for a length of time, or are you winging it
to see what feels right?

Anyway, stay safe out there!
KLRmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 AM   #81
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

We peeled out of Mindo, it was the long weekend holiday here in Ecuador & many people from Quito were in Mindo, but many more were gone out to the beaches. We hoped things wouldn't be too busy out on the coastline.

The ride out was top gear all the way, nothing too terribly scenic, but a nice ride. Rain gear on again.

Stopping for a break by a large bamboo grove.

We hit the main highway junction and motored on North on 25 to Esmereldas. As we approached the coast, we turned south looking for a mellower place.1st stop was Atacames , which was a zoo of people. We got back on the bikes and went a bit further, to Sua.

It was a bit quieter here. We got an ok place for the night and headed down to the water for some food.

This is a pretty mellow place....

Sent from my iPod

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-28-2013 at 10:13 AM
Old 05-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #82
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
Nice RR, thanks for sharing with us.
Is your trip planned for a length of time, or are you winging it
to see what feels right?

Anyway, stay safe out there!
We are mostly just letting each day follow the previous one. We hope to visit a few South American countries after finally getting here with our bikes.
We have no need to go to the tippy tip, but rather would take the time to see a few places instead of blasting right through on the main highway. We rode through Mexico & the CA countries to get down here. If our trip was done tommorrow it would be a success , but we will poke around a bit more....
It's pretty safe here, no fear of exploring backroads .... The danger is going too fast into a corner.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #83
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
...Of course as soon as the bikes are parked the sun tries to comes out again

Looks like we may have been neighbors.

Loving your report!

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #84
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

While relaxing in Sua, I take a casual glance at the map, to see what's coming up. That's when I see there is a more rural road that follows the coastline. I ask Thorne what she thinks about taking this & her reply was " ya ok as long as its not slimy greasy mud" it had rained a bit, & I imagine more could fall later too.

The first part was nice pavement & it twisted along with an occasional glimpse of the sea. We pulled into the small village of Galera and the people really stared at the bikes, like spacemen from Mars had just arrived.

It was hard to take a photo there without having the camera pointed at the people staring at us. We could have shut the bikes off, took our helmets off & engaged in some discussion with the locals. So we never stopped long enough to get decent photos, or to actually fully visit these rural settlements but riding the road was the main goal here

Whale skeleton in one of the small towns, after this the road turned to dirt, nice wet sand road, which was nice to ride.

At the bridge, the road got pretty sloppy. We motored onwards and got dirty.

We continued on, stopping in at another few settlements near the water, Quingue,Tongorache & Cabo de San Franscisco before getting back on the pavement just east of Muisne.

This was a cool detour route off the main road. If I skipped it, I would forever wonder what it's like back in there, on the side roads .....

Sent from my iPod

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 09:30 AM
Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #85
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
Looks like we may have been neighbors.

Loving your report!

Yes we recognize the place ! I think there may be a few more "same" places. Enjoying your report as well.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #86
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Continuing south, we arrive in Mompiche and have a late lunch of shrimp on the beach.

We find a cabana to stay in for the night, but 1st need to ride on the beach for a bit.....

We couldn't go very far, maybe if we access the beach further up past the river we could ride way down.

Bunkering down in the cabana and parking the bikes after another day of Adventure

We relax for a bit, no wifi, no AC , no TV
Then, out for a swim & some surf casting with the Mepps spinner . No bites and the cheapo reel has the gears strip out and is junk the first time I use it.

Supper is another easy decision : shrimp again , pretty cheap too

Another day in the life has been lived.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 02:26 PM
Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #87
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 558
Late entrant, but I am caught up now so lead on

Q: You have not made any comments on the drivers on the road? Are others on the road pretty good or are you always on defensive mode?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #88
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
Late entrant, but I am caught up now so lead on

Q: You have not made any comments on the drivers on the road? Are others on the road pretty good or are you always on defensive mode?
A: after riding through all the CA countries etc, you grow accustomed to people passing 3 vehicles wide on the double yellow line ( sometimes) and just move over and make some room. We had some cab drivers & bus drivers in the city who wanted their vehicle to be where we are, but for the most part things aren't too scary, keep an eye on what's going on behind you, & scan up ahead. We ride slower, and try to take more rural roads so its a bit better.... Defensive? Yes a bit , sometimes a bit offensive with the horn and maintaining lane position....
For the most part it's pretty good. I'd say the worst is black diesel smoke chuffing out and not being able to avoid that breathing in a lungful ... Cough!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #89
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Thank you so much for sharing your ride report. It is outstanding! I really appreciate you showing how much lodging and food costs. I live on a tight budget and would like to go to South America and am just curious how much things cost down there. Thanks again
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #90
Hektoglider OP
One with Life

Our last post had us on the coastline in Mompiche , that was just a one night stop as we explore the beaches further south. We folded the kickstands into the "up" position and headed out. More rain greeted us .

We knew Mr T and the M&A Show were on the coast further south of us and they were going north. We expected to see them somewhere

We had a wet visit in the rain on the side of the highway. It was good to see everyone again, but standing in the rain got old fast

We were only 40km north of Canoa so we headed on down and pulled in. I found a hotel that was ok but Thorne went looking for a better deal. Soon I found her up the road with a big smile. She did pretty good, I am getting tired of sifting through all the hotel options so lately she has been digging in and getting some, plus it gives her a chance to practice Spanish

Not bad for $16 for two ($10 single) wifi, pool, & kitchen loft area & park right beside the room instead of in a detached parking garage & up 3 flights of stairs which is sometimes the case. It was away from the main highway(road noise ) & away from the main downtown area.

We went for a bit of a stroll in our new town. When I saw the beach, I knew the Sherpa had to go out and ride as far as possible. Maybe in the manana.

Hektoglider screwed with this post 06-01-2013 at 06:33 PM