ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes950 View Post
When 49 gets to I80, jump on 80 and get up to Placer Hills Rd. Take that to Dog Bar and it will bring you in to Grass Valley. It is a short section, but much nicer than that stretch of 49.
This route? http://goo.gl/maps/NLF49

The last time I tried riding Highway 49 all the way to the north end, the only part I didn't like was the section that this goes around. I'll remember that for next time. I don't like freeway riding either, but 6 miles of freeway with those roads thrown in is better than that section of Highway 49.

For the original poster: I also recommend 49 to 89, then Lassen Volcanic National Park and Burney Falls. I've been snowed out before in Mid-May at both Lassen and Crater Lake. You can't always tell what the weather is going to do until later in the summer.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Lassen Park

Lassen Park is still closed do to snow, they are working on it but it usually doesn't open till memorial weekend.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
that would be
right?

thanks,

general question. How plentiful is gas along the route planned, ie 49 N

It's not nevada scarce is it?
I would toss in 120 from 6 to 395, but I just like that road

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
CA 49 and 89!

+10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hop-sing View Post
rodt has your route planned... I might recommend going around lassen to the east over to burney and come into k falls from the east. Just so many options. But 49 is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
Make sure you ride out to glacier point.. Look me up if you have any problems I am 15 mi from the south entrance
Glacier Point road just opened this past weekend (I was there but hiked up from the valley floor).
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #20
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Crater Lake N. Entrance was announced as open today. I'm not sure if it is a record early opening, but it might be.

The Rim Drive is not fully open yet.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
139 from Susanville to Klamath was a very interesting ride. Sagebrush country but, a nice break from dense forest. Road had some very cool features to it when it wasn't a bit straight.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
drrod1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Can't help you much out of Yosemiti but I have ridden the attached route and it is a very good ride.
Route shown starts at Oroville.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Or...,2,4,7&t=m&z=8

Rod
drrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #23
JayElDee OP
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 602
thanks, y'all are great that the choices keep coming. On the road now and dealing with the WIND, ugh. Otherwise good ride so far. In Tonopah now, heading out tomorrow.

So, 120 is open from the state line?
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #24
JayElDee OP
not saying what I mean

so far
I took 120 from the state line to lee vining then up 395 to catch 108 and into Sonora,
Next day, 49 through Mariposa to Yosemite, Tunnel View, Glacier Point, back to Sonora via 120 to 49.

Yesterday 49 N to 89. IN Portola now and will continue up 89 to Westwood, looking for a breakfast spot--I hear there's a place

Then toward Crater Lake.

All roads were open with no issues at all. Only patchy snow on top of 108.
120->395->108....what a ride!!, twisty and scenery and good surfaces. You do not want to be following a behemoth on the upslope on 108--I had it to myself!! There are some SIGNIFICANT grades, I think I saw a sign warning of a 26% grade??? Is that even possible? I did an 18% on Mt Nebo in Arkansas, and there were two on 108 that were equal of greater; they are on the west side and follow each other closely.
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Wonderful ride thusfar.

PS...OT Accomodations can be pricey on this route, but I found a mom and pop motel, The Sleepy Pines, on hwy 70 that goes for ~~$68. Recommend it. Lina's Cantina is a good place to eat just a couple of miles down the road.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #25
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,268
You're riding some of California's best, that's for sure. You're looking at a great ride today, as well. There's a little weather going on in Northern Oregon, but Crater Lake should be clear. Ride safely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
so far
I took 120 from the state line to lee vining then up 395 to catch 108 and into Sonora,
Next day, 49 through Mariposa to Yosemite, Tunnel View, Glacier Point, back to Sonora via 120 to 49.

Yesterday 49 N to 89. IN Portola now and will continue up 89 to Westwood, looking for a breakfast spot--I hear there's a place

Then toward Crater Lake.

All roads were open with no issues at all. Only patchy snow on top of 108.
120->395->108....what a ride!!, twisty and scenery and good surfaces. You do not want to be following a behemoth on the upslope on 108--I had it to myself!! There are some SIGNIFICANT grades, I think I saw a sign warning of a 26% grade??? Is that even possible? I did an 18% on Mt Nebo in Arkansas, and there were two on 108 that were equal of greater; they are on the west side and follow each other closely.
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Wonderful ride thusfar.

PS...OT Accomodations can be pricey on this route, but I found a mom and pop motel, The Sleepy Pines, on hwy 70 that goes for ~~$68. Recommend it. Lina's Cantina is a good place to eat just a couple of miles down the road.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
don't forget to drop the oregon caves whe you are up there.
http://www.nps.gov/orca/planyourvisi...ving-tours.htm
this looks like fun.

the town of prospect oregon is a good lodging point.
we stayed at the prospect hotel. nice place and several good hiking trails around it.
http://www.prospecthotel.com/

also crater lake has very short duration it is open.
http://www.nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/hours.htm
Old 05-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
It's was great to meet you today, thanks for stopping by and have a great remainder of your trip. John's a great guy , and has some interesting stories. Rod

RodT screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 02:16 PM
RodT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
Harvey Mushman Jr.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
From Yosemite:

120 W to 49 N

49 N to 88 E

88 E to 89 N (cooler prettier heart of Sierras than 49 N)

89 N to Quincy (Lake Tahoe, Squaw Valley, and Truckee/Donner Lake)

Quincy to 5 N (adjust route per other suggestions)
Harvey Mushman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Crazy May weather

Here in S. Oregon we have been having threats of snow showers down to elevations as low as 2000'. There is very little chance of any real accumulation except at the highest passes.

The real concern for riders is that the ground is warm enough to prevent snow from piling up, as it just melts as it hits in most locations. But, night-time temps are low enough to create icy patches that will remain during the morning hours and will linger in shady locations.

Here in Klamath Falls we had some wind and rain today, but I could see clouds dropping snow off in a couple directions from time to time.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #30
JayElDee OP
not saying what I mean

Hey, Rod,
Ditto...great meeting you and I can give two thumbs up to the food at the Old Mill Cafe.

Some followup...
after Portola I planned on the Crater Lake visit. But, the weather had other plans. By the time I got to K falls, it was wet and REALLY cold. By the time I was in my room at the Microtel, it was either sleeting or snowing or hailing. It was going down to 26 that night. Weather not fit for man nor beast.

And the weather was moving in the direction of my travel, slowly, and it looked really bleak. Time for plan B or C or D2.
Two choices, head along southern Or to the east and dip down into Nv and start heading back cross country or maybe head back into N Cali. I really didn't make up my mind until I tried to start my engine. tick tick tick tick. Dead battery. I get Progressive to jump start me, but it was prudent to get a new battery and that meant a trip to Medford, Or and a visit to Hansen's BMW. A great store, said yep, the battery, and about 45 min later I was back on the road.

Now I want to say that hwy 66 between k falls and Medfor is simply gorgeous and when I rode through it was a winter wonderland. Stunning, but I was afraid to stop and take a picture because that would of necessity mean turing off the engine, and 66 is remote.

So, with a few recs from Carl Hansen, thank you Carl, I headed to Crescent City Cali, then down 101 to Fortuna where I picked up 36 all the way to Susanville where I experienced my first earthquake. Then across Nv on 50.
36 and 50 were as much fun as any ride on the trip and I loved the scenery. Not a bad plan b at all!

So, big thanks to Rod and all the other people who helped on this. It's beautiful out there

John