User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Oddometer: 4,601
DT400 Shocks, Rebuildable?

Wondering if these dudes are rebuildable. Kinda hoping they are, pretty rad vintage look to them (and a whole lot cheaper than buying new ones ><)

Any ideas?

Also, i appear to have the 'old type' exhaust baffle. Looking in the exhaust end i can see the turbine-y thing down in there, but the baffle end is only about 4 inches long, and i dont see any way i could possibly wrap it with packing. I'm assuming this kind doesnt actually have any packing in the end, is that correct?

Inane Cathode screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 09:17 PM
Inane Cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
ADK
____

Oddometer: 8,172
Cool2

Try here... www.yamahaenduro.com .
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Well, while i'm waiting for them to decide im worthy to look at the rest of the forum, i went ahead and took apart the LH shock (spring off, i guess thats taken apart enough!).

It looks to me like there is an escutcheon nut that's covering the seal. It looks like if i had the right tool i would be able to unscrew that nut, uncover the seal, and at that point i could just find the right size seal to replace what's under there.

Unless im totally overlooking something, like how much and what kind of oil to refill it with, and how do you slide that seal off if the top shock eyelet is still on the shock piston ><

Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
I have a set of freshly rebuilt Thermal Flows for sale. $80 to your door. I just rebuilt them 2 weeks ago with new seals and paint on the bodies. The springs do have some pitting but they actually cleaned up pretty good. They have all the correct plastic sleeves and nylon spacers from the factory which are hard to come by. The seals are not common and hard to come by. They are for a DT400 and are the B54 series. Fresh Bel- Ray oil. I have about $80 into them and don't need em. Send me a PM if you want them. Cleaning out my shop of stuff I don't need.

The Yamaha Enduro site is hit or miss. It pisses me off and I am a member. Their website format sucks IMO.

Here's the shocks. Old seals are above the shocks.

Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
crag antler
In the woods lurking

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
I have a set of freshly rebuilt Thermal Flows for sale. $80 to your door. I just rebuilt them 2 weeks ago with new seals and paint on the bodies. The springs do have some pitting but they actually cleaned up pretty good. They have all the correct plastic sleeves and nylon spacers from the factory which are hard to come by. The seals are not common and hard to come by. They are for a DT400 and are the B54 series. Fresh Bel- Ray oil. I have about $80 into them and don't need em. Send me a PM if you want them. Cleaning out my shop of stuff I don't need.

The Yamaha Enduro site is hit or miss. It pisses me off and I am a member. Their website format sucks IMO.

Here's the shocks. Old seals are above the shocks.

PM sent
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1976 Yamaha DT400
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
crag antler
In the woods lurking

Oddometer: 497
So does anybody know of shocks that will work on a 1976 DT400, for d/s riding ?
I searched and you get a ton of sites that say it will fit but who knows for sure ?
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1976 Yamaha DT400

crag antler screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 07:57 PM Reason: late night typo
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
Inane Cathode OP
Cheated Anion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crag antler View Post
So does anybody know of shocks that will work on a 1976 DT400, for d/s riding ?
I searched and you get a ton of sites that say it will fit but who knows for sure ?
There's a bunch of room around the shocks, and they're generic 1970s enduro sized. As long as the length is about right i can't think of a whole lot of shocks that wont work. We've put hagon shocks on a customers scrambler that im pretty impressed with, handling wise.